Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Collecting data from TOP to a file Post 6489 by sssow on Wednesday 5th of September 2001 04:03:43 PM
Old 09-05-2001
Thank you for your response. But i think vmstat will give the info about virtual memory only and not on per process base. I need to gather the usage of physical Memory used by a particular process

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help: Collecting similar messages in a file

Hi All, Since i am very new to shell scripting, i need help from you guys. Suppose there is a file containing: Log message: Ashish "asasasa" asasa asasa asasas.info1 Log message: Kapil "asasasa" asasa asasa asasas..info1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashish.kapil
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help collecting addational data

I am attempting to gather data from 700 + routers. I have written a script that gets me about 70% of the information I need but I am in need of some assistance getting the remainder. I am fairly new to unix and I have not done programming since my 2nd year of high school in 1992. I have a list... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Garlandxj
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

no data redirected to a file with top and grep - why?

HI all, I want to capture cpu data in batch mode of "top" command and redirect to a file like this: top -b > cpu.dat it works! But I want to capture only Cpu lines, so i have: top -b | grep ^Cpu >cpu.dat Then I got an empty output file. Why? Could somebody explain and help me to make it... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: fongthai
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Collecting specific portion from a file

I have a file which contains data like a b x col1:data1 formula:data3 this is for 2 a c col1:@bkw formula:dontad ad asd as per a \ i want the data from col1 and formula to keep the col1 data in left side of excel and col2 data in right side of it (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bmrout007
1 Replies

5. AIX

Need a list of top 10 CPU using processes (also top 10 memory hogs, separately)

Okay, I am trying to come up with a multi-platform script to report top ten CPU and memory hog processes, which will be run by our enterprise monitoring application as an auto-action item when the CPU and Memory utilization gets reported as higher than a certain threshold I use top on other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Collecting details

Hi all, I am having lots of oracle servers. I want to collect some health check details from all the server and report to one single centralized server. What would be best solution for this? OS: AIX Thanks Gopal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilugopal
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing out the first (top) data lines of each category

Hi All, I need some help in parsing out the first (top) data lines of each category (categories are based on the first column a, b, c, d, e.( see example file below) from a big file a dfg 3 6 8 9 a fgh 5 7 0 9 a gkl 5 2 4 7 a glo 7 0 1 5 b ghj 9 0 4 2 b mkl 7 8 0 5 b jkl 9 0 4 5 c jkl 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Collecting header from another file

I want to add header description from a file by matching the 2nd col of another file. . The lookup file is at ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pub/COG/KOG/kog The table file looks like comp1001565_c0_seq1 At1g14590 48.48 66 34 0 200 3 171 236 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : collecting all data between two time frame

Hi Experts , I need your help to collect the complete data between two time frame from the log files, when I try awk it's collecting the data only which is printed with time stamp for example, awk works well from "16:00 to 17:30" but its not collecting <line*> "from 17:30 to 18:00" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zenkarthi
8 Replies
VMSTAT(8)						   Linux Administrator's Manual 						 VMSTAT(8)

NAME
vmstat - Report virtual memory statistics SYNOPSIS
vmstat [-a] [-n] [delay [ count]] vmstat [-f] [-s] [-m] vmstat [-S unit] vmstat [-d] vmstat [-p disk partition] vmstat [-V] DESCRIPTION
vmstat reports information about processes, memory, paging, block IO, traps, and cpu activity. The first report produced gives averages since the last reboot. Additional reports give information on a sampling period of length delay. The process and memory reports are instantaneous in either case. Options The -a switch displays active/inactive memory, given a 2.5.41 kernel or better. The -f switch displays the number of forks since boot. This includes the fork, vfork, and clone system calls, and is equivalent to the total number of tasks created. Each process is represented by one or more tasks, depending on thread usage. This display does not repeat. The -m displays slabinfo. The -n switch causes the header to be displayed only once rather than periodically. The -s switch displays a table of various event counters and memory statistics. This display does not repeat. delay is the delay between updates in seconds. If no delay is specified, only one report is printed with the average values since boot. count is the number of updates. If no count is specified and delay is defined, count defaults to infinity. The -d reports disk statistics (2.5.70 or above required) The -p followed by some partition name for detailed statistics (2.5.70 or above required) The -S followed by k or K or m or M switches outputs between 1000, 1024, 1000000, or 1048576 bytes The -V switch results in displaying version information. FIELD DESCRIPTION FOR VM MODE
Procs r: The number of processes waiting for run time. b: The number of processes in uninterruptible sleep. Memory swpd: the amount of virtual memory used. free: the amount of idle memory. buff: the amount of memory used as buffers. cache: the amount of memory used as cache. inact: the amount of inactive memory. (-a option) active: the amount of active memory. (-a option) Swap si: Amount of memory swapped in from disk (/s). so: Amount of memory swapped to disk (/s). IO bi: Blocks received from a block device (blocks/s). bo: Blocks sent to a block device (blocks/s). System in: The number of interrupts per second, including the clock. cs: The number of context switches per second. CPU These are percentages of total CPU time. us: Time spent running non-kernel code. (user time, including nice time) sy: Time spent running kernel code. (system time) id: Time spent idle. Prior to Linux 2.5.41, this includes IO-wait time. wa: Time spent waiting for IO. Prior to Linux 2.5.41, included in idle. st: Time stolen from a virtual machine. Prior to Linux 2.6.11, unknown. FIELD DESCRIPTION FOR DISK MODE
Reads total: Total reads completed successfully merged: grouped reads (resulting in one I/O) sectors: Sectors read successfully ms: milliseconds spent reading Writes total: Total writes completed successfully merged: grouped writes (resulting in one I/O) sectors: Sectors written successfully ms: milliseconds spent writing IO cur: I/O in progress s: seconds spent for I/O FIELD DESCRIPTION FOR DISK PARTITION MODE
reads: Total number of reads issued to this partition read sectors: Total read sectors for partition writes : Total number of writes issued to this partition requested writes: Total number of write requests made for partition FIELD DESCRIPTION FOR SLAB MODE
cache: Cache name num: Number of currently active objects total: Total number of available objects size: Size of each object pages: Number of pages with at least one active object totpages: Total number of allocated pages pslab: Number of pages per slab NOTES
vmstat does not require special permissions. These reports are intended to help identify system bottlenecks. Linux vmstat does not count itself as a running process. All linux blocks are currently 1024 bytes. Old kernels may report blocks as 512 bytes, 2048 bytes, or 4096 bytes. Since procps 3.1.9, vmstat lets you choose units (k, K, m, M) default is K (1024 bytes) in the default mode vmstat uses slabinfo 1.1 FIXME FILES
/proc/meminfo /proc/stat /proc/*/stat SEE ALSO
iostat(1), sar(1), mpstat(1), ps(1), top(1), free(1) BUGS
Does not tabulate the block io per device or count the number of system calls. AUTHORS
Written by Henry Ware <al172@yfn.ysu.edu>. Fabian Frederick <ffrederick@users.sourceforge.net> (diskstat, slab, partitions...) Throatwobbler Ginkgo Labs 27 July 1994 VMSTAT(8)