Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Some interesting questions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Some interesting questions Post 64822 by willhunter on Wednesday 2nd of March 2005 01:56:53 PM
Old 03-02-2005
RTM,

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of the fact that "No homework/classwork questions". I am writing some IPC code, and I am facing some difficulties. For example, for my 1st question , i am confused about, when I kill process2, process1 remains there, and when I kill process1, process2 remains there 9isnt this weird??), and thats why i posted the question in a simple manner. Also for rest of th questions, same thing, I know that, stromg kill is called as strong coz, it cannot be caught by the process, and in turn process gets terminated, but I wanted to find what actually happens "internally".

I hope i have cleared that those are not homework/classwork questions.

Thank you

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

An interesting problem

hi!, here is an interesting problem ..... I ftp a file named " my first file.doc" from windows to my HP workstation. Ftp is succesful. The file appears with the same name in my home directory.. But now how do I open this file?? while using Vi or More or other editor, they take only the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

interesting problem

After a server reboot for regular mainatanance we face the following situation: 1/ user accounts with ksh can't start the korn shell 2/ korn shell scripts do work however, if executed from bash 3/ normal users with bash can't run ksh 4/ root can run ksh 5/ if I switch the default shell to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
3 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

How can I get some interesting books?

I am not a native English speaker. I wanna improve my English. But I am kind of lazy, so I decide to pratice my English by reading English novel. I'd like read books about magic or superman and so on. How can I get that kind of books from Internet? I'll really appreciate it!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: virmin
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Here is an interesting idea...

Does anyone know how to test if an ethernet interface is alive, or accepting connections? Here is the scenario - I have rsc and sc console interfaces on some Suns. There are some sporadic vulnerability scans that send them out to lunch when they run the scans. I have to login to the host and reset... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lm_admin_dh
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

interesting problem

Hi, I am new in this forum and I am glad to be a part of it. I have a problem that has two parts: 1/ extract just the timestamp from a filename: for example, I have a file called 'sales20080226144525.txt' and I want to extract just the '20080226144525' part out of it. 2/ Now, take that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Very Interesting Problem

Ok Lets say i have a webpage on a solaris box. and i am trying to make a hyperlink. This hyperlink references a Microsoft Access file on a Windows box. So, How do i make a file reference from The unix box to a windows box. Things to keep in mind -- 1.) Solaris doesnt need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Demon002
6 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies
KILL(2) 							System Calls Manual							   KILL(2)

NAME
kill - send signal to a process SYNOPSIS
kill(pid, sig); DESCRIPTION
Kill sends the signal sig to the process specified by the process number in r0. See signal(2) for a list of signals. The sending and receiving processes must have the same effective user ID, otherwise this call is restricted to the super-user. If the process number is 0, the signal is sent to all other processes in the sender's process group; see tty(4). If the process number is -1, and the user is the super-user, the signal is broadcast universally except to processes 0 and 1, the scheduler and initialization processes, see init(8). Processes may send signals to themselves. SEE ALSO
signal(2), kill(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Zero is returned if the process is killed; -1 is returned if the process does not have the same effective user ID and the user is not super-user, or if the process does not exist. ASSEMBLER
(kill = 37.) (process number in r0) sys kill; sig KILL(2)