Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Printing .TIFF files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Printing .TIFF files Post 6482 by Neo on Wednesday 5th of September 2001 02:12:05 PM
Old 09-05-2001
UNIX is a multiprocessing OS that is well described in the literature. Linux is a UNIX kernel written by Linus Torvalds.

Slackware, Red Hat, Suse, etc. are just distributions of the Linux kernal that are based on GNU software, all developed for the UNIX operating environment (long before linux was on the planet.)

Sun OS, Solaris, AIX, etc. are also based on UNIX kernels. The environment can be built on GNU software as well.

There is nothing common with AIX, SunOS, OSX, HPUX, SGI, ULTRIX, FREEBSD, etc. etc that is not common with LINUX. They are all based on the philosophy of the UNIX OS.

In fact, there is nothing useful in grouping all non-Linux OSs under the UNIX flag and dividing it that way on this site.

None of this has anything to do with TIFF files.... so lets move to TIFF. The philosophy of UNIX has been discussed many times in the threads.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatized .ps into .tiff conversion

Hi everybody, I have more tan 300 images postscripts (.ps) in my UNIX enviroment. I would like to have all these images in a single Power Point presentation (windows enviroment). Anybody has a clue how to convert all those .ps file into a format recognized by Power Point in an automatic... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cordobapab
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

View TIFF images from UNIX

I am new to unix. I want to know if there is any tool or plugin available for AIX unix system through which a user can see the TIFF images. Below are the details: Our application runs on AIX Unix box. The users log in to the application through telnet clients running on Windows 2000/XP systems.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erpankajgupta
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert Unix executable file to Tiff

Hi, I know nothing about Unix. Recently received image files from a client. Mac sees it as a Unix executable file. How do I convert these files to Tiff? Thanks for helping. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pet Teoh
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to identify a corrupted TIFF image

Hi everyone! Here's my first thread... I have to recognize if a TIFF image is corrupted or not. I've always usedfile -b to identify file type, but I've experienced that sometimes it returns "TIFF image data, little endian" even if the image is truncated or something. Do you know another trick... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: canduc17
6 Replies
PAP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PAP(1)

NAME
pap, papstatus - client interface to remote printers using Printer Access Protocol SYNOPSIS
pap [ -c ] [ -e ] [ -p nbpname ] [ -s statusfile ] [ files ] papstatus [ -p nbpname ] DESCRIPTION
pap is used to connect and send files to an AppleTalk connected printer using the Apple Printer Access Protocol (PAP). When pap starts execution, it tries to open a session with the printer using PAP, and then downloads the files to the printer. If no files are given on the command line, pap begins reading from standard input. If no printer is specified on the command line, pap looks for a file called .paprc in the current working directory and reads it to obtain the nbpname of a printer. Blank lines and lines that begin with a `#' are ignored. type and zone default to LaserWriter and the zone of the local host, respectively. Note that pap is designed to be useful as a communication filter for sending lpd(8) spooled print jobs to AppleTalk connected printers. See psf(8) for hints on how to use it this way. OPTIONS
-c Take cuts. Normally pap tells the printer how long it has been waiting. When -c is specified, pap claims to have been waiting for- ever. -e Send any message from the printer to stderr instead of stdout. psf(8) invokes pap with this option. -p nbpname Connect to the printer named nbpname and do not consult the .paprc file to find a printer name. See nbp_name(3) for the syntax of nbpname. -s statusfile Update the file called statusfile to contain the most recent status message from the printer. pap gets the status from the printer when it is waiting for the printer to process input. The statusfile will contain a single line terminated with a newline. This is useful when pap is invoked by psf(8) within lpd's spool directory. FILES
.paprc file that contains printer name SEE ALSO
nbp_name(3), lpd(8), psf(8). netatalk 1.3 3 Jun 1994 PAP(1)