Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Long threads?
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators Long threads? Post 64081 by Perderabo on Saturday 26th of February 2005 05:12:53 PM
Old 02-26-2005
I would have been happier if CamTu had started a new thread as he moved on to a new topic. Worse, the switch to the ftp question was really a crosspost of this thread and as such was a violation of rule 4. I decided to let it slide. Maybe I shouldn't have. It gets tedious playing policeman.

But in general piggy-backing questions is not against the rules and to the original poster it all may be part of the same project. I'm not sure that such a rule would be a great idea. Neo would need to rule on that.

In the meantime, don't feel that you need to stay trapped in a thread. It took me a while to realize that sometimes I need to bail out of a thread. I don't post a final goodbye or anything. I just move on.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

old threads

Neo, if I have an old thread that is a few months old, and a few pages back in the forum it was posted in, is it ok to 'bump' it back to the front? or, would you rather i deleted the old thread, and just create a new one? btw the thread has no replies. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

threads

i am tring to sort lots of data thats in many columns by just one column but, if I use sort +16 inputfile the column fluctuates because some of the rows have spaces etc within the text, so the end result is just a mess as it jumps around the columns depending whether it has spaces or not ....ie... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gerry405
2 Replies

3. Solaris

threads

Hi all! 1)Is there a way to write a program that will work on both solaris and intel based machines. 2)How can I achive this for a program that creates and synchronizes three threads. Thank you. vij. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijlak
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How many threads do I use ?

Hi, I have a program that has two types of threads: 1) Reader threads 2) Worker Threads Readers: Their only job is to read files. They just read data from the files and put them into a buffer. They are obviously I/O intensive. Workers: These are CPU intensive. They do some computation... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Threads and Threads Count ?

Hi all, How can I get the list of all Threads and the Total count of threads under a particular process ? Do suggest !! Awaiting for the replies !! Thanks Varun:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

6. Programming

Threads help

Hello! I started studying studying about POSIX Threads a few days ago... so I am a little confused and I would appreciate some help! I isolated this code... and I wonder if I could use threads in it! #include <unistd.h> #endif #include <math.h> //#include "main.h" #include <sys/time.h>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smurf2
1 Replies

7. Programming

How to see a FIFO from all the threads?

Hello C programming fellows!!! I'm doing a program with multiple threads in gnu/linux, ubuntu for beeing precise... This program consist in multiple threads, as logical each thread do different things and communicate to each other using IPC. The problem is that in "process 1" I have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sandia_man
1 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Threads disappeared

Dear admins, it seems that some threads or even users have recently (~ 2 days or so) disappeared. Examples: giuliangiuseppe and greycells. The latter asked me for the solution I provided earlier this week. What happened? Can you help? Regards Rüdiger (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RudiC
10 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Please close the following threads:)

Hello Admin, The issue that i posted in the following threads has been resolved, https://www.unix.com/ubuntu/266128-how-access-website-without-port-ubuntu-14-04-a.html https://www.unix.com/red-hat/265635-error-while-extending-logicalvolume.html Kindly close the threads.Thanks:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gull05
1 Replies
pthread_cond_signal(3T) 												   pthread_cond_signal(3T)

NAME
pthread_cond_signal(), pthread_cond_broadcast() - unblock one or all threads waiting on a condition variable SYNOPSIS
PARAMETERS
cond Pointer to the condition variable to be signaled or broadcast. DESCRIPTION
The function is used to wake-up one of the threads that are waiting for the occurrence of a condition associated with condition variable cond. If there are no threads blocked on cond, this function has no effect. If more than one thread is blocked on cond, the scheduling policy determines which thread is unblocked. It is possible that more than one thread can be unblocked due to a spurious wakeup. The function is used to wake-up all threads that are waiting for the occurrence of a condition associated with the condition variable cond. If there are no threads blocked on cond, this function has no effect. If more than one thread is blocked on cond, the scheduling policy determines the order in which threads are unblocked. The condition variabled denoted by cond must have been dynamically initialized by a call to or statically initialized with the macro An unblocked thread will reacquire the mutex it held when it started the condition wait before returning from or The threads that are unblocked contend for the mutex according to their scheduling policy and priority. The or functions can be called by a thread whether or not it currently owns the condition variable's associated mutex. For predictable scheduling behavior and to prevent lost wake-ups, the mutex should be held when signaling a condition variable. Usage When using condition variables, there is a boolean predicate associated with each condition wait. If this predicate is false, the thread should do a condition wait. Spurious wakeups may occur when waiting on a condition variable. Because the return values from and do not imply anything about the value of this predicate, the predicate should always be re-evaluated. Applications using condition variables typically acquire a mutex and enter a loop which checks the predicate. Depending on the value of the predicate, the thread either breaks out of the loop or waits on the condition. On return from the condition wait, the predicate is re- evaluated. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, and return zero. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error (the variable is not set). ERRORS
For each of the following conditions, if the condition is detected, the and functions return the corresponding error number: [EINVAL] cond is not a valid condition variable. [EFAULT] cond parameter points to an illegal address. AUTHOR
and were derived from the IEEE POSIX P1003.1c standard. SEE ALSO
pthread_cond_init(3T), pthread_cond_wait(3T). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
Pthread Library pthread_cond_signal(3T)