Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Deleting string from file of same name within several directories Post 63390 by thumsup9 on Thursday 24th of February 2005 06:38:02 PM
Old 02-24-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by halo969
Am I just supposed to type those lines into the shell prompt as you put them? (the first reply)

Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but if I put the first line in and hit enter, I get a > and then if I put the rest of the lines in and then hit enter, it pauses, then gives me the prompt back. Then when I check one of the files, the string is still there. I must be doing something wrong. Smilie

Nicole
Nicole:

At the prompt type
$ vi myscript.ksh
paste the code here (paste by right click on ur mouse)
now do ESC + SHIFT :
enter wq!
$ . myscript.ksh

BTW thanks vgersh.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting all the sub directories

hello., i am creating a certain sub directories as apart of my requirement, and then later on i have to delete all those sub directories.. ____________________________________________________ DIR1="/home/pavi/cvs/20071426/TEMP" echo " DIR1 is : " $DESTDIR1 echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavan_test
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a line from a file based on one specific string instance?

Hello! I need to delete one line in a file which matches one very precise instance of a string only. When searching the forum I unfortunately only found a solution which would delete each line on which a particular string occurs. Let's assume I have a file composed of thousands of lines... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Black Sun
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting string within a file that finishes with .log

Hello, This is my first post. Nice forum! I have a file trls.results small exemple of content (actually the file can be very big): ./security/htaccess.htm ./security/ipcount.log ./adhoc/sql/datamod06.sql So there is 3 paths to 3 different files... I want to remove every string that has a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacob106106
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting files in sub directories!

Hello out there, I want to setup a crontab feature to remove temporary pdf files from sub directories that are older than 30 days. I want to presevere the directory structer though. I got this far for a command. Will this remove the pdf's in subdirectories or just directly under the pdf folder? If... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting lines that contain a specific string from a space delimited text file?

Hi, I have a space delimited text file that looks like the following: 250 rs10000056 0.04 0.0888 4 189321617 250 rs10000062 0.05 0.0435 4 5254744 250 rs10000064 0.02 0.2403 4 127809621 250 rs10000068 0.01 NA 250 rs1000007 0.00 0.9531 2 237752054 250 rs10000081 0.03 0.1400 4 17348363... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting directories

I want to delete directories which are empty and directories which are 2 level deep. example: /app/data/logs/G07696115/G07696115 So if a same directory is there inside G07696115 with the same name G07696115, i want to find and delete that alone(Make sure you do not touch directory any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gtm004
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all files recursively from directories while ignoring one file type

Hi, Seems like I need help again with a problem: I want to delete all files from my lets say "Music" Directory inkluding all of the subfolders except for .mp3 and .MP3 files. I tried it with globalignoring mp3 files, finding and deleting all other files, which resulted in all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for deleting files and directories when the file system reaches the threshold

Hi Can someone assist in writing a script. I have a filesystem named /sybase in my aix lpar. When this filesystem becomes 94% full all the files and directories under /sybase/logs should be deleted immediately. :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue deleting all lines (having a specific string) in a file

I'm trying to create a script. There are 2 files - fileA.log & fileB.log fileA.log has the below data : aaaa cccc eeee fileB.log has the below data : cjahdskjah aaaa xyz jhaskjdhas bbbb abc ajdhjkh cccc abc cjahdskjah ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pandee
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to Search a FILE for a STRING in multiple DIRECTORIES

Hi, Can someone please help me with a Command to Search a FILE for a STRING in multiple DIRECTORIES. I am searching for the VIP in HTTPD.CONF in multiple httpd instances. I am using find ./ -name "httpd.conf" | xargs grep 10.22.0.141 cut -d: -f3- | cut -d ' ' -f4 | sort | uniq -c ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crosairs
1 Replies
INSTR(3)						       MBK UTILITY FUNCTIONS							  INSTR(3)

NAME
instr - find an occurence of a string in a string, starting at a specified character. ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr SYNOPSYS
#include "mut.h" char *instr(s, find, from) char *s, *find, from; PARAMETERS
s Pointer to the string to be searched for the pattern find Pointer to the string to be found, the pattern from Character to be searched backwards before searching for the pattern DESCRIPTION
instr searches the first occurence of the string find in the string s, starting its search at the last occurence of the from character in the string s. If either s or find is NULL, the function returns NULL. If from is (char)0, the pattern is searched from the begining of s. This quite exotic behaviour is useful to search the occurence of a name in a string resulting from a flatten, when only a terminal object name is to be taken into account. RETURN VALUES
instr return NULL either if the pattern find is not present in the searched string s, or if one at least of these two string are NULL. If the pattern is found, a value different from NULL is returned. EXAMPLE
#include "mut.h" /* check for the pattern 'ck' anywhere in the string */ #define contains_ck(name)instr(name, "ck", ' ') /* check for the pattern 'ck' in the signal name, not instance ones */ #define isclock(ptsig) instr(getsigname(ptsig), "ck", SEPAR) SEE ALSO
mbk(1), isvdd(3), isvss(3). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 INSTR(3)