Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Telnet timout question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Telnet timout question Post 63279 by bluestar on Wednesday 23rd of February 2005 07:03:20 PM
Old 02-23-2005
Telnet time out

I also have a problem regarding telnet time out(the server is a p5 520 OS is AIX 5.2):
After telneting to the server, if inactive for more than 20 minutes the session is "closed by foreign host". Where is this timeout value set? I've looked at the /etc/profile and the TMOUT variable is commented out and an echo of TMOUT show a value of 0...which appears to mean "no time out set". We suspect that the new F5 switch is causing the problem, not the OS. Were else can I look?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

tcp timout

I am led to understand that there when a port is bound for a tcp connection...once that connection is closed there is a timeout period before that port can be reused ... and the software I am using shows that. How long is this timeout - what affects it and is there anyway to reuce the timeout? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

telnet question

Does anyone know a way to log into a telnet server with username and password all with one command? I have to do this remotely. I can do this with FTP with the following command under windows: ftp -s:c:\dir\test2.txt 10.0.0.207 The "-s:filename" option is just a list of commands that occurs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ober5861
2 Replies

3. Solaris

TELNET Question

Hello All, I have a question. I have two V480 systems that can telnet to other systems on our network, but lo cannot receive a telnet from other systems. I've check the usual .rhosts, env and several other files such as the telnetrc files with no luck. I've tried all avenues before issuing... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr-synapse
8 Replies

4. HP-UX

question about telnet to HP unix 11

When using telnet connect to HP unix 10, it will get a pty/ttyxx terminal, but using telnet connect to HP unix 11, it will get a pts/tx terminal. I want to ask is, can I using telnet connect to HP unix 11 and get a pty/ttyxx terminal ?? :confused: thx a lot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zetadhell
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Telnet question

How do I get back to Unix prompt while telneting to a router w/out exit from the telnet session? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oppiz
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Webpage to Telnet via Perl and Expect: Telnet problem?

Somewhat long story: I have a simple Perl CGI script that uses Expect to Telnet to a device and grab some data, and then spits it back to Perl for display on the Webpage. This works for many devices I've tried, but one device just fails, it keeps rejecting the password on this device, only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jondo
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Question about telnet?

Hi everyone. I am newb at solaris i have 2 question 1. i am finding a way to prevent separate users to telnet similar like /etc/ftpd/ftpusers in Solaris system I know a way to disable user ftp by force user shell=/bin/false 2. or any program can do a chroot telnet user like proftpd :D ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tien86
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telnet Expect script question

Hi all, I have written a small expect script which should spawn a telnet session login and execute some commands. #!/usr/bin/expect -f spawn telnet $env(IP) match_max 100000 expect "login:" send -- "******\n" expect -exact "Password:" send -- "****\n" expect "%" Now I have got... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
2 Replies

9. IP Networking

telnet window size question

Hello! I'm writing a small telnet client using Erlang and the gen_tcp library. I receive IAC WILL ECHO and IAC WILL SUPPRESS_GO_AHEAD which I respond to. Then I receive various text output from the server, and then this: resize: unknown character, exiting. I'm curious as to why I do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gustav
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help implementing a timout in my Shell Script for RHEL6

Hey Guys, My problem: I have a script that will be querying the database every minute to see if it gets a response, the response its querying for is "UP" in a table i made called dbup in the database. Now, I am trying to add the component to implement a timeout if the script does not get a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mo_VERTICASQL
2 Replies
pcf(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							    pcf(4)

NAME
pcf - port configuration file used by DDFA software Description A port configuration file is used by the Datacommunications and Terminal Controller Device File Access (DDFA) software to configure indi- vidual terminal server ports. The generic name of the template file is In practice, it is renamed for each port that needs different con- figuration values and the values are altered appropriately for the device attached to the port. A port configuration file is referenced by an entry in the Dedicated Ports file The Dedicated Port Parser parses the file and spawns an Outbound Connection Daemon for each valid entry in the file. A valid entry is one in which the fourth field is the name of a port configuration file. The master port configuration file is and it should only be referenced in the file if the default values it contains are correct for the ports. If different values are needed, should be copied to another directory and the copy should be modified and referenced in the file. The recommended procedure is to create a directory to hold the port configuration files and the modified file. See ddfa(7) for more information on how to configure the DDFA software. A port configuration file consists of the names of variables and their values. The variables are shown terminated by a colon but this is not mandatory. A variable and its value can be separated by spaces or tabs. Only one variable-value pair is allowed per line. Only the value should be altered. The variable name should not be changed. A file contains the following information: This can have the value or When it is enabled, data transfer over the network uses the Telnet protocol. This option be enabled for a DTC. This can have the value or When it is enabled, a telnet timing mark negotiation is sent to the terminal server after all user data has been transferred. waits for a reply to the timing mark negotiation before closing the connection. This ensures that all data has been output from the terminal server to the device before the buffers are flushed. It should be enabled for a DTC. This defines the time in seconds during which the software waits for a response to the telnet timing mark and binary negotiation. If the timer expires, an error message is logged to and the error is transmitted to the user application. This can have the value or When it is enabled, data transfer over the network is in binary mode and treatment of special characters (such as XON/XOFF) is disabled. Due to the absence of flow control, data integrity cannot be guaranteed when is enabled. Note that even if is disabled, it can be negotiated at any time by the application setting to in the data structure. This defines the number of times the software tries to open a connection before giving up. If the value is the software tries ``forever'' (approximately 68 years). If the retry process fails, an error message is logged to and the error is transmitted to the user application. The retry process can be interrupted by sending the signal to the process using Note that if the application exits after asking to open the connection to the terminal server, continues trying to open until the combination of the and are exceeded. This defines the time in seconds between open tries. If the value is uses an exponential retry period algorithm up to 32 seconds (i.e., 1 2 4 8 16 32 32 32 ...). This defines the time in seconds between the close call made by the application on the pty slave and the moment when the connection is actually closed. Setting this value to, for example, 5 seconds avoids the overhead of opening and closing the connection when a spooler spools several files at a time. Setting a sufficiently high value effectively leaves the connection permanently open. This can have the value or When it is enabled, the software sends a status request to the device attached to the terminal server and processes the reply as follows: continues processing. retries within the limits of the status timer. retries within the limits of the status timer. retries within the limits of the status timer. retries within the limits of the status timer. This defines the time in seconds during which the software waits for the reply to the status request. If the timer expires, an error message is logged to and the error is transmitted to the user application. This can have the value or Normally, data bytes processed by the pty have bit 7 stripped. If is enabled, the stripping is disabled. If is disabled, stripping is enabled and bit 7 is stripped. This can also be achieved by changing the termio structure of the pseudonym using ioctl() commands. This can have the value or When it is enabled, data is sent to the LAN as it is received. It can be disabled if the software is sending pack- ets faster than the server can accept them. The default values are: WARNINGS
In order to ensure that commands (such as ps) display the correct device file name (that is, the pseudonym), all pseudonyms should be placed into the directory If pseudonyms are not specified for placement in this directory, the correct display of device file names with many commands is not guaranteed. In addition, in order to ensure that commands (such as and work correctly, each pseudonym must be unique in its first 17 characters (including the directory prefix If pseudonyms are not unique in their first 17 characters, the correct functioning of many commands is not guaranteed. FILES
SEE ALSO
dpp(1M), ocd(1M), ocdebug(1M), dp(4), ddfa(7). pcf(4)