Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Splitting a single line into multiple lines Post 63138 by bhargav on Wednesday 23rd of February 2005 12:21:37 AM
Old 02-23-2005
Try the following ....

But the code is tested with 5 chars as criterion instead of 75.
Change as per your requirement.

Code:
awk '{
  if ( length($0) > 5 )
  {
      str=$0 ;
      i=0 ;
      while(length(str) > 5)
      {
        printf("%s\n",substr($0,i+1,5) );
        i+=5 ;
        str=substr($0,i,length($0) );
      }

if( length(str) > 1 )
        printf("%s\n", substr(str,2,length(str))) ;

}
  else
  {
      print $0
  }
}' file1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting the line in multiple lines

Hi Guys, I need a help. I am pretty new to the shell level programing. I was trying to split a long lines to a multiple lines with few conditions. I goggle for the code and found some snippets and tried to modified it but I got few strange problems too. I have to split the lines if line is ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dd_sh
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines into a single line

Hi, I've some files with the following data and i need to convert the lines between the separator ---, into a single line. I've tried with the paste cmd but my main problem is that the number of lines between the separator is not fix, it can very between 1-4 lines. Input --- 2010-02-22... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RickyC9999
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple lines in single line

This is related to one of my previous post but now with a slight difference: I need the "Updated:" to be in one line as well as the "Information:" on one line as well. These are in multiple lines right now as seen below. These can have 2 or more lines that needs to be in one line. System name:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: The One
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines in a single column to be merged as a single line for a record

Hi, I have a requirement with, No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh" Single column alone got splitted into multiple lines. I require the output as No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa<>bbb<>ccc<>ddd<>eee<>fff<>ggg<>hhh" mean to say those new lines to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bhuvaneswari
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting a huge line of file into multiple lines with fixed number of columns

Hi, I have a huge file with a single line. But I want to break that line into lines of with each line having five columns. My file is like this: code: "hi","there","how","are","you?","It","was","great","working","with","you.","hope","to","work","you." I want it like this: code:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting Single line into multiple line

Hi All, I am reading a line from a file and writing it to other file. Whenever I got a particular line then I want that line to be splited into 4 line and written it to new file. e.g My line is U_ABC connector3 pin24E connector4 pin25E connector5 pin26E connector6 pin27E connector7... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting one line into multiple lines

Hi, I have one problem scenorio as below. my source file is : cat input_file. "hi","there","how","are","you?","It","was","great","working","with","you.","hope","to","work","y ou." my output should be like. "hi","there","how","are","you?", "It","was","great","working","with",... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilash_nakka
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making multiple lines as single line

Hi All, I have a spool file which as shown below. I want to make it as single line after every semicolon. In this case there should be 2 lines in vi editor. I am not used to use sed so could you guys please help me out ? exec spk_dba.sp_runsql('ALP','CREATE DATABASE LINK "TEST" CONNECT TO... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicolas38
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge multiple lines into a single line

Hi all, I'm relatively new to scripting, I can do pretty basic things. I have a daily log file that looks like: timestamp=2017-06-28-01.01.35.080576; event status=0; userid=user1; authid=user1; application id=10.10.10.10.11111.12345678901; application name=GUI; ... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwdnet
29 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Multiple lines to single line

I have code as below # create temporary table `temp4277`(key(waybill_no)) select waybill_no,concat_ws('',card_type,card_series_no) cardinfo from rfid_temp_ticket where waybill_no='4277' group by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
4 Replies
STRLEN(3)								 1								 STRLEN(3)

strlen - Get string length

SYNOPSIS
int strlen (string $string) DESCRIPTION
Returns the length of the given $string. PARAMETERS
o $string - The string being measured for length. RETURN VALUES
The length of the $string on success, and 0 if the $string is empty. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | Prior versions treated arrays as the string | | | Array, thus returning a string length of 5 and | | | emitting an E_NOTICE level error. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 A strlen(3) example <?php $str = 'abcdef'; echo strlen($str); // 6 $str = ' ab cd '; echo strlen($str); // 7 ?> NOTES
Note strlen(3) returns the number of bytes rather than the number of characters in a string. Note strlen(3) returns NULL when executed on arrays, and an E_WARNING level error is emitted. SEE ALSO
count(3), grapheme_strlen(3), iconv_strlen(3), mb_strlen(3). PHP Documentation Group STRLEN(3)