Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pipelining Processes
Top Forums Programming Pipelining Processes Post 63134 by Trivialnight on Tuesday 22nd of February 2005 11:02:28 PM
Old 02-23-2005
I know it is not right to post homework, but I wasn't asking for anyone to do the work, i was looking for something to point out something that I have been overlooking for the last 10 hours. Your right this program does not calculate the fibonacci numbers but it was a test program for the function that the teacher had given us in class to create the pipelines but when i ran the code i got the problem that i had posted, and was looking for a answer to the one problem I was having. Also his office hours were canceled today, he is usually around but today he wasn't. The only thing i was asking was how come the processes weren't executing properly with the code that the teacher had given us. I was just wondering if it was correct or if it was wrong because the Parent process never breaks out of the loop.

Like i had said I finished all the rest of the program, I am using c-strings (char *a, and char *b) to store the numbers in, to add them I have 3 variables, numa, numb, and carry. I reverse the 2 c-strings containing the numbers i want to add and reverse them, take the first numbers, add them, if there is a carry then it will be added to the next 2 numbers in the c-string. Then once that is done the c-string c contains the result and is sent with c-string b to the next process to calculate the next number in the sequence.

Thank you for your help
-tn

Last edited by Trivialnight; 02-23-2005 at 12:13 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

co-processes

Is it possible to have a main script (i will call it main.ksh) that executes say, 4 other scripts (sub_prog_1.ksh, sub_prog_2.ksh etc..) from within this main.ksh (simultaneously/in parallel), have them run in the background and communicate back to main.ksh when complete? My guess is to use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: google
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

processes

What command string will locate ONLY the PID of a process and ouput only the number of PID of the process? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mma_buc_98
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need some example of Co-Processes

I want to know how to work the Co-Processes in kornshell scripts. So, I very need some script about Co-Processes! thanks ...:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javalee
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipelining

My problem is more a question of how to do it more elegantly than how to do it at all. The problem: I have a pipeline which has to write to the screen AND to a logfile: proc1 | tee -a <logfile> What makes things difficult is i also need the return code of proc1. But proc1 | tee -a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Identifying and grouping OS processes and APP processes

Hi Is there an easy way to identify and group currently running processes into OS processes and APP processes. Not all applications are installed as packages. Any free tools or scripts to do this? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash pipelining

Hello, There is a symbolic link in a folder. I would like to read destination of this link and get base name of pointed file. Let's say, there is symlink : symlink -> ../file.txt. I can do that what I want by this script: readlink symlink | while read var do echo `basename $var` done but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scdmb
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Processes

Hi all, I needed a little help. It's OS thing. Suppose I have 2 machine connect over a network, I will call my machines as M1and M2. If I copy a files from M1 to M2. What tasks are these two machine performing for copy to work. My assumption is that M1 is performing read action and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwesh
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pipelining with tar

Hello, I am currently interning at a place and my job is to essentially learn UNIX. My supervisor gives me problems here and there to help guide me with my learning but for the most part I'm doing this all by self-teaching myself. Needless to say I have run into a few obstacles...for... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: huntreilly25
12 Replies
NUMSUM(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 NUMSUM(1)

NAME
numsum - numsum program file SYNOPSIS
numsum [-iIcdhrsvxy] <FILE> | numsum [-iIcdhrsvxy] (Input on STDIN from pipeline.) numsum [-iIcdhrsvxy] (Input on STDIN. Use Ctrl-D to stop.) DESCRIPTION
numsum will take all the numbers on stdin and return the sum of those numbers. Currently it only processes the first number on each line. Besides positive numbers, it also handles negative numbers and numbers with decimals. OPTIONS
-i Only return the integer portion of the final sum. -I Only return the decimal portion of the final sum. -c Print out the sum of each column. -r Print out the sum of each row. -x <n> Specify a comma seperated list of columns to print. -y <n> Specify a comma seperated list of rows to print. -s <string> Specify a string to use as a seperator for columns. This defaults to be consecutive whitespace (s+). -h Help: You're looking at it. -V Increase verbosity. -d Debug mode. For developers -q Quiet mode, don't print any warnings. EXAMPLES
Simply add up the numbers in a file. $ numsum numbers.txt 4315 Enter your own numbers on STDIN. The last number is the answer. $ numsum 4 21 98 100 223 Use it in a command pipeline. $ ls -1s | grep .mp3 | numsum -c -x 5 72288 Add up the total byte count in a http log file. $ cat access_log | awk {'print $10'} numsum or numsum -c -x 10 access_log Add up the columns of numbers of a file. $ cat columns 1 6 11 16 21 2 7 12 17 22 3 8 13 18 23 4 9 14 19 24 5 10 15 20 25 $ numsum -c columns 15 40 65 90 115 Add up the 1st, 2nd and 5th columns only. $ numsum -c -x 1,2,5 columns 15 40 115 Add up the rows of numbers of a file. $ numsum -r columns 55 60 65 70 75 Add up the 2nd and 4th rows. $ numsum -r -y 2,4 columns 60 70 SEE ALSO
numaverage(1), numbound(1), numinterval(1), numnormalize(1), numgrep(1), numprocess(1), numrandom(1), numrange(1), numround(1) COPYRIGHT
numsum is part of the num-utils package, which is copyrighted by Suso Banderas and released under the GPL license. Please read the COPYING and LICENSE files that came with the num-utils package Developers can read the GOALS file and contact me about providing submitions or help for the project. MORE INFO
More info on numsum can be found at: http://suso.suso.org/programs/num-utils/ perl v5.10.1 2009-10-31 NUMSUM(1)