Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: passwd -l script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting passwd -l script Post 63115 by bhargav on Tuesday 22nd of February 2005 07:03:09 PM
Old 02-22-2005
I'm not sure how passwd -l works
This option does n't exists in AIX.
I'm not sure whether passwd -l is interactive.

Following is NOT TESTED. But you can follow on these lines.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh

>TERMED

while read user
do

grep "$user" /etc/passwd
    if test $? -eq 0
    then
       # do what you want to do ... run passwd -l ....
       if test $? -eq 0
       then
            echo "Locking user $user on `date` "  >> TERMED
       else
            echo "PROBLEM in Locking user $user on `date` "  >> TERMED
        fi
    fi

done < /etc/seeya

# send mail using TERMED file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setting passwd in script

HP-UX 11 I currently have a script that is running useradd and passwd commands to automate setting up new users. It was originally designed so that passwd was run with -d -f to delete a passwd and force user to set passwd at next login. Now mgmt wants instead to set a first-time passwd and have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LisaS
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passwd in shell script

Is there a way to change user password using passwd command in shell script? I don't want to use expect. Please help (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: corny
8 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

need script for passwd , can't use expect tool

Hi , as others users here , i'm searching for a script which can automate "passwd" dialog . I saw threads about "expect tool" but on my platforms , "C" product isn't installed and i'm not the admin so i can't install it. is there another way to do it , with a "simple" shell script ??? ... (35 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
35 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passwd on a simple script

hi guys I am working on a script which is basically a menu for some linux operators... I need on this menu for the operators the option to change the password... This are 2 linux servers using Linux heartbeat. what I need is to change change the password using passwd command and replica... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
10 Replies

5. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify /etc/passwd via script

We have a business need to modify the /etc/passwd file every time a new user gets added, because the user ID begins with a zero. When you create the new user in smit, even if you put the leading zero in, it does not retain it when the entry is added. That being said, I need to create a script... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mshilling
11 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris passwd script

Hello all, Since Solaris passwd does not have --stdin option can you advise how to change the password for 30 users with a script. The password can be the same one. I`ve tried already echoing, xargs, cat and similar. Thanks. ---------- Post updated at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous update... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: click
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to monitor change in /etc/passwd

Hi All, From Audit point of view, I need to add a script to my production Solaris servers. That should be able to mail me, if any user is added or removed. That means, I should get a mail, what user is deleted or added in /etc/passwd, i.e. if there is a change in this file, I should be... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate passwd comb.

Hi I created a gnupg password which I later forgot clumsy enough (after a holiday). I can always create a new one but unfortunately I have some files on the computer that I encrypted with it and would like to access it. I remember parts of the password and was wondering what's the the best way to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaonline
0 Replies

10. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies
GRAB-ACCOUNT(8) 						 chiark utilities						   GRAB-ACCOUNT(8)

NAME
grab-account - add new account synchronised to remote system SYNOPSIS
grab-account local-user source [remote-user] DESCRIPTION
grab-account reconfigures sync-accounts to start synchronising a specified local user (which may not yet exist) from a specified remote system, and then invokes sync-accounts once to synchronise from that source. /etc/sync-accounts/createuser should contain a addhere line in the appropriate source section (ie, after host source). grab-account adds a user local-user [remote=remote-user] directive just before addhere and runs sync-accounts source. EXIT STATUS
0 All went well. any other There were problems. FILES
/etc/sync-accounts; See also sync-accounts(8). ENVIRONMENT
See sync-accounts(8). BUGS
There is no locking of /etc/sync-accounts so do not invoke grab-account from a script, or more than once at a time by hand. Do not edit /etc/sync-accounts by hand and also simultaneously run grab-account. The mechanism involving addhere is suboptimal. This should be done with an include feature in sync-accounts, so that grab-account does not have to edit a configuration file that really belongs to the sysadmin. AUTHOR
grab-account and this manpage are part of the sync-accounts package which was written by Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk>. They are Copyright 1999-2000,2002 Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk>, and Copyright 2000-2001 nCipher Corporation Ltd. The sync-accounts package is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3, or (at your option) any later version. This is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, consult the Free Software Foundation's website at www.fsf.org, or the GNU Project website at www.gnu.org. SEE ALSO
sync-accounts(8), sync-accounts(5), passwd(5) Greenend 14th July 2002 GRAB-ACCOUNT(8)