Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Listing files in numerical order Post 63028 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 22nd of February 2005 09:52:38 AM
Old 02-22-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_H
Thanks, that gives me the listing I want.

How do I now grab the first list element (or the first X list elements) and cp it/them out?
and here's something to start with:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
for iter in $(ls *_log.*([0-9]*) | sed -e 's#^\([^_][^_]*\).*#\1#g'|sort -u)
do
   echo ${iter}
done

you can experiment with this and with the previous posting.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursive directory listing without listing files

Does any one know how to get a recursive directory listing in long format (showing owner, group, permission etc) without listing the files contained in the directories. The following command also shows the files but I only want to see the directories. ls -lrtR * (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psingh
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing of all the files in the order of last update (including those in the subdiret

I want to list all the files in the current directory including those in the subdirectories as well as a single lot in the order of last updated. (Not as separate list given by ls -lRt). Any suggestion? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files out of multiple directories and renaming them in numerical order

Hi, I have 500 directories each with multiple data files inside them. The names are sort of random. For example, one directory has files named e_1.dat, e_5.dat, e_8.dat, etc. I need to move the files to a single directory and rename them all in numerical order, from 1.dat to 1000(or some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: renthead720
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving/copying files in a numerical order

Hi I am newbie to unix scripting, but i have enough knowledge to understand. I have a specific questions like, I use to collect like 3500 files per experiment, each one named like data_001.img.. data_002.img data_003.img .... data_3500.img I would like to move every 12 files in the 3500... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wpat
3 Replies

5. Programming

Sorting a vector of strings into numerical order.

I have a vector of strings that contain a list of channels like this: 101,99,22HD,432,300HD I have tried using the sort routine like this: sort(mychans.begin(),mychans.end()); For some reason my channels are not being sorted at all. I was hoping someone might have some input that might... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sepoto
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to sort a column based on numerical ascending order if it includes e-10?

I have a column of numbers in the following format: 1.722e-05 2.018e-05 2.548e-05 2.747e-05 7.897e-05 4.016e-05 4.613e-05 4.613e-05 5.151e-05 5.151e-05 5.151e-05 6.1e-05 6.254e-05 7.04e-05 7.12e-05 7.12e-05 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

Listing all child pid and deleting it in reverse order

Hi , My problem is that I am not able to list all process id of any process. If you see pstree command it shows many process id under https. But if I run ps command its not listing all the process id for httpd. It is just listing the PPID and immediate child process id only. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratapsingh
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract data from numbered files using linux in the numerical order-

Hi experts, I have a list of files containing forces as the only number as follows. Force1.txt Force2.txt Force3.txt Force4.txt Force5.txt . . . . . . . . . Force100.txt I want to put all the data(only a number ) in these forces files in the file with the same order like 1,2,3 ..100 .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamnsan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File listing in Ascending order

I have a multiple file with the following name like. file_0.csv file_1.csv file_2.csv file_3.csv file_4.csv file_5.csv file_6.csv file_7.csv file_7.csv file_8.csv file_9.csv file_10.csv file_11.csv file_12.csv file_13.csv file_14.csv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh_arxmind
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory listing in the order of size

I want to display directory listing in the order of size. I do not have -S option in my version of UNIX. So I wrote a simple script. But it takes "| sort -n -k5,5" part as file names. Any suggestion? #!/bin/ksh cmd='ls -l *.TXT | sort -n -k 5,5' set -x $cmd return 0 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
7 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Note that package.shlibs is only installed in compat level 9 and earlier. In compat 10, please use dh_makeshlibs(1). package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. However, the "maint-script-parameters" should not be included as debhelper will add those automatically. Example: # Correct rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo # INCORRECT rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo -- "$@" In compat 10 or later, any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. It was also the intention to escape shell metacharacters in previous compat levels. However, it did not work properly and as such it was possible to embed arbitrary shell code in earlier compat levels. The dh_installdeb tool will do some basic validation of some of the commands listed in this file to catch common mistakes. The validation is enabled as a warning since compat 10 and as a hard error in compat 12. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)