Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: USB Devices
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat USB Devices Post 62893 by davidkretsch on Monday 21st of February 2005 10:00:12 AM
Old 02-21-2005
USB Devices

I am trying to get a flash card reader to work with my machine. My question is, are all of my USB ports screwed up? Do I need to buy a seperate USB controller? I does not appear that the onboard USB ports work.

In trying to get it to work, I typed cat /proc/scsi/scsi and got this:

[root@KretschNet root]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
[root@KretschNet root]#

then I typed:
/sbin/modprobe usb-storage

then:
lsmod
Module Size Used by
usb_storage 62345 0
snd_mixer_oss 17217 0

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

disableing my USB devices using a script

hi guys I would like to disable my USB devices using a shell script(Linux machine) i.e(hoteplug,kernelpcmciacs,pcmciacs) Kindly suggest me at the earliest Thnks in advance regards ash (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Detecting USB Flash Devices (plugged and hot-plugged)

I am trying to script the process of looking for a usb-key inside another application. I have gotten some success by recording "ls /dev" and comparing it to a new "ls /dev" periodically. However this has made it so I have to prompt the user to take out the usb-key (if plugged in), let my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jjinno
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passthrough devices vs. named devices

I am having trouble understanding the difference between a passthrough device and a named device and when you would use one or the other to access equipment. As an example, we have a tape library and giving the command "camcontrol devlist" gives the following output: akx# camcontrol... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thumper
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to enumerate USB Mass Storage devices?

Hi all, I want to write a program in C that can enumerate all USB massand their mount point storage on my system. i want to give ability to copy one file to desired USB mass storage or read a file from it. I have posted another question about how can recieve USB arrival in this forum. I think... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aghashahi
0 Replies

5. Linux

Can USB Devices Be Exported Over a Network?

While I know that it's possible to use something like SANE to share a USB scanner over a network, or use NBD or iSCSI to share a USB flash or external HD over the network, I've been wondering about a raw USB <--> TCP/IP transport. Back in the late 90s, I swear I remember hearing about a project... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 usb stick -> 2 mounted devices

Hello, i am using a solaris thinclient that tries to connecting to a terminalserver. (RDP) Everything works fine, but the usb redirection. If i put in a usb stick i always get 2 usb-drives mounted. If i look in /tmp/SUNWut/mnt/<name of the host> i see 2 devices. One with the name of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anarcy
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

USB-USB cable between linux and windows computers

Is there an easy way to setup a cross-over cable (USB-USB) between a linux box and a windows PC? My 2 machines are next to each other but I really do not want to keep transfering my files using my USB drive. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
4 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

How to disable USB for storage devices in Suse?

Hello folks, for some confidential reason, I need to disable the USB to access the storage devices in Suse11.2, but I still need two USB for the mouse and keyboard. Anyone knows? Thanks a lot in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnsxhj
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Questions about remote access and install USB devices.

I have a server running openindiana, it hosts virtualbox and several VMs on it. My first question is if I can run openindiana desktop from my windows on same network, now I am using XWin server under cygwin-X, I can run GUI of VirtualBox etc. but can I have the openindiana desktop show on my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyx2000
2 Replies
sane-scsi(5)							File Formats Manual						      sane-scsi(5)

NAME
sane-usb - USB configuration tips for SANE DESCRIPTION
This manual page contains information on how to access scanners with a USB interface. GENERAL INFO
This manual page describes the access of USB scanners over the sanei_usb interface. Most SANE USB backends use the sanei_usb interface, only sm3600 accesses the USB directly by libusb. Have a look at sane-sm3600 and section "LIBUSB ACCESS TIPS" of this manual page for that backend. Two methods for accessing USB devices are used by sanei_usb: direct access using the kernel scanner driver and access over libusb. sanei_usb tries both methods, if they are available. Currently USB access is tested for Linux (kernel, libusb), FreeBSD (kernel, libsub), NetBSD (libusb), and OpenBSD (kernel, libusb). Libusb access should also work on Mac OS X (Darwin) and any other operating system supported by libusb but hasn't been tested yet. For installation issues, also check the /usr/share/doc/sane-backends-1.0.9/README.platform files. Most backends will detect USB scanners automatically using "usb" configuration file lines. This method allows to identify scanners by the USB vendor and product numbers. The syntax for specifying a scanner this way is: usb VENDOR PRODUCT where VENDOR is the USB vendor id, and PRODUCT is the USB product id of the scanner. Both ids are non-negative integer numbers in decimal or hexadecimal format. The correct values for these fields can be found by looking into the syslog (e.g., /var/log/messages) or under Linux by issuing the command "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices/". This is an example of a config file line: usb 0x055f 0x0006 would have the effect that all USB devices in the system with a vendor id of 0x55f and a product id of 0x0006 would be probed and recog- nized by the backend. The same config line in decimal format looks like this: usb 1375 6 If your scanner is not detected automatically, it may be necessary to edit the appropriate backend configuration file before using SANE for the first time. For most systems, the configuration file should list the name of the USB device file that the scanner is connected to (e.g., under Linux, /dev/usb/scanner0 or /dev/usbscanner0 is such a USB device, the device file for FreeBSD is e.g. /dev/uscanner0). If libusb is used, the device name looks like the following example: libusb:001:002 Do not create a symlink from /dev/scanner to the USB device because this link is used by the SCSI backends. The scanner may be confused if it receives SCSI commands. For a detailed description of each backend's configuration file, please refer to the relevant backend manual page (e.g. sane-mustek_usb for Mustek USB scanners). WHEN TO USE WHICH ACCESS METHOD
Generally speaking, if your scanner works with one method, there is no need to switch to the other one. Libusb is the more general approach and will be able to access any scanner. Also, it supports more platforms. However, the library must be available and installed on the system and setting permissions isn't easy at least on Linux. Autodetecting scanners and using USB control messages with the kernel access method only works with recent (>=v2.4.12) Linux kernels. If you need one of these two features on a different platform, use libusb instead. KERNEL SCANNER DRIVER TIPS
Ensure that the access permissions for the USB device are set appropriately. We recommend to add a group "scanner" to /etc/group which contains all users that should have access to the scanner. The permission of the device should then be set to allow group read and write access. For example, if the scanner is at USB device /dev/usb/scanner0, then the following two commands would set the permission cor- rectly: $ chgrp scanner /dev/usb/scanner0 $ chmod 660 /dev/usb/scanner0 If your scanner isn't detected automatically by your operating system's scanner driver, you need to tell the kernel the vendor and product ids of your scanner. For Linux, this can be done with modprobe parameters: First, remove the scanner module (rmmod scanner), then load it again: modprobe scanner vendor=0x0001 product=0x0002. Use the appropriate vendor and product ids (e.g. from syslog or cat /proc/bus/usb/devices). For OpenBSD the kernel must be recompiled. For details look at /usr/share/doc/sane-backends-1.0.9/README.openbsd. Similar approaches should be used for the other BSDs. Linux kernel messages in syslog like "kernel: scanner.c: open_scanner(1): Unable to access minor data" can be ignored. They are generated when SANE scans all available USB devices for scanners. LIBUSB ACCESS TIPS
Libusb can only access your scanner if it's not claimed by the kernel scanner driver. If you want to use libusb, unload the kernel driver (e.g. rmmod scanner under Linux) or disable the driver when compiling a new kernel. For Linux, your kernel needs support for the USB filesystem (usbfs) and that filesystem must be mounted. That's done automatically, if /etc/fstab contains a line like this: none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0 The permissions for the device files used by libusb must be adjusted for user access. Otherwise only root can use SANE devices. For Linux, the devices are located in /proc/bus/usb/. There are directories named e.g. "001" (the bus name) containing files "001", "002" etc. (the device files). The right device files can be found out by running scanimage -L as root. Setting permissions with "chmod" is not permanent, however. They will be resetted after reboot or replugging the scanner. It's also possible to mount the usbfs with the option "dev- mode=0666", e.g. by using the following line in /etc/fstab: none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults,devmode=0666 0 0 However, this way everyone has access to all USB devices. Another way to set permissions is to use the hotplug utilities (http://linux-hot- plug.sourceforge.net/), which support dynamic setting of access permissions. Last, the frontends can be run as root. However, that's not recommended for security reasons. For the BSDs, the device files are named /dev/ugen*. Use chmod to apply appropriate permissions. ENVIRONMENT
SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB If the library was compiled with debug support enabled, this environment variable controls the debug level for the USB I/O subsys- tem. E.g., a value of 128 requests all debug output to be printed. Smaller levels reduce verbosity. Values greater than 4 enable libusb debugging (if available). SEE ALSO
sane(7), sane-find-scanner(1), sane-"backendname"(5), sane-scsi(5) AUTHOR
Henning Meier-Geinitz. Some parts were copied from the sane-scsi manual page. 15 Sep 2002 sane-scsi(5)