Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Newbie to Unix and needs info! Post 6285 by KyPeN on Sunday 2nd of September 2001 08:08:35 PM
Old 09-02-2001
Java Newbie to Unix and needs info!

IM SOOOOOO EXITED. I've decided to the Unix operating system on my computer. Here are my computer spex
15 gig HD
550 mHz P3
192 Meg 133 mHz ram
FAT 32 Partition
Win 98

Couple questions now...
What is the best type of Unix/Linux? Why?
I have heard that FreeBSD is the best? True, not true? Why?
Why is your fav. better than FreeBSD
Can I run Unix/Linux on a FAT32 Partition w/ Windows 98?
If the above is possible, will it cause problems?
I run a 56k modem, is there a place to buy Unix/Linux? Where?

Thank you very much!

Smilie KyPeN Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix newbie

What shellscript would I use If I wanted to list all files in the current directory which are identical to a certain filename. I am told to use binary comparison but have been unable to find out what this means. I have tried man pages and can find a file of a certian filename but cant seem to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gavinlow1980
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX PATH info required PLEASE HELP (I'm new to unix)

I need to know how to enter a unix path in a cgi script for a guest book: example: My URL is http://www.kitachi.info I have an html file in the main folder on my site, the file is called : gbook.html what would the correct unix path for this file be ??? the part of the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akitachi
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie to Unix

Hey, I've been a windows guy all my life, but i have finally decided to move to Unix and buy a Mac. I am pretty good with a lot of programming applications on windows, but was wondering if u guys had any advice on how to get started on Unix, like books to read, applications to buy, websites,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mafia
8 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Unix Newbie

Dear Any&All I am really new to this Unix stuff, having bashed away at coding with VC++ for years. What I'd like to know is, what Unix OS would be best to start on...I've had a look around and there seem to be a few. Lindows Linux Redhat ... Which is the best to learn on? Can anyone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: u6ik
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hello unix newbie

hi im new to unix i use windows on my home pc the reason i registered is because im finishing up a UNIX class this year. all i have left is the exam but i had a lot of personal problems and didnt do a lot of work; the teacher is letting me make it up but its hard for me to learn a whole unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Combat Form
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie to HP Unix

Hi Im a newbie to unix having been a windows guy, yes I know a swear word on here ? but part of my new job is to be trained up on Unix. On the course we were set a task to read a file that has dates times codes etc, a log file. see below as an example 2007/02/19 00:00:06: Information: Switch... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyNameisEarl
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we call JSP file from Unix.if so how.Please help me.Im newbie to Unix

Hi Can we call a jsp page from Unix.if so please let me know how we can.. thanks for the help in advance... thanks kumar (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailsukumar
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Unix Newbie...

I've a MacBook and I'm not that good to this Unix kind of a operating system, could you guys please suggest me some Unix Beginner type book to learn all the shell scripting and the whole UNIX environment (something for intermediate level)...there are thousands of books available and i don't know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VasiqMz
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help for Unix Newbie

Hi all, 1. How are we going to call .cmd files which is in window under Unix Environment? 2. Is there any equivalent command in Unix for "start" which is available in Windosw? Thx very much. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jessy83
5 Replies
LINUX(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						  LINUX(4)

NAME
linux -- Linux ABI support SYNOPSIS
To compile support for this ABI into an i386 kernel place the following line in your kernel configuration file: options COMPAT_LINUX for an amd64 kernel use: options COMPAT_LINUX32 Alternatively, to load the ABI as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): linux_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The linux module provides limited Linux ABI (application binary interface) compatibility for userland applications. The module provides the following significant facilities: o An image activator for correctly branded elf(5) executable images o Special signal handling for activated images o Linux to native system call translation It is important to note that the Linux ABI support it not provided through an emulator. Rather, a true (albeit limited) ABI implementation is provided. The following sysctl(8) tunable variables are available: compat.linux.osname Linux kernel operating system name. compat.linux.osrelease Linux kernel operating system release. Changing this to something else is discouraged on non-development systems, because it may change the way Linux programs work. Recent versions of GNU libc are known to use different syscalls depending on the value of this sysctl. compat.linux.oss_version Linux Open Sound System version. The linux module can be linked into the kernel statically with the COMPAT_LINUX kernel configuration option or loaded as required. The fol- lowing command will load the module if it is neither linked into the kernel nor already loaded as a module: if ! kldstat -v | grep -E 'linux(aout|elf)' > /dev/null; then kldload linux > /dev/null 2>&1 fi Note that dynamically linked Linux executables will require a suitable environment in /compat/linux. Specifically, the Linux run-time linker's hints files should be correctly initialized. For this reason, it is common to execute the following commands to prepare the system to correctly run Linux executables: if [ -x /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig ]; then /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig -r /compat/linux fi For information on loading the linux kernel loadable module automatically on system startup, see rc.conf(5). This information applies regardless of whether the linux module is statically linked into the kernel or loaded as a module. FILES
/compat/linux minimal Linux run-time environment /compat/linux/proc limited Linux process file system /compat/linux/sys limited Linux system file system SEE ALSO
brandelf(1), elf(5), linprocfs(5), linsysfs(5) HISTORY
Linux ABI support first appeared in FreeBSD 2.1. BSD
February 8, 2010 BSD