Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing FORM(HTML) variable to ksh Post 62528 by douknownam on Wednesday 16th of February 2005 10:20:11 PM
Old 02-16-2005
Passing FORM(HTML) variable to ksh

I am currently able to use the $QUERY_STRING variable and simply cut out what I need to be assigned as variables within the shell script. However, I've been able to use the "name" value assigned within the FORM(HTML) as a variable when I use perl. Why is it that ksh doesn't read the "name" in as a variable as perl does? Am I missing something? If the above seems confusing, here is an example of what's happening:

HTML
HTML Code:
<form action="../ksh.cgi" input="text" name="var1"></form>
#!/bin/ksh
Code:
echo "$QUERY_STRING"

name=(input text)

Code:
echo "$var1"

(blank)

Shouldn't the value entered into the textbox on the webpage be passed to the shell script as "$var1"?

ps. The reason why I'm avoiding perl for this task is due to the numerous scripts written in ksh that can use input from a browser.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

HTML form to cgi help

I wrote a script to automate user account verification against peoplesoft. Now I want to make it available to my peers via the web. It is running on Solaris. I have the form written, but am not sure how to make it work. I think the form should call a perl cgi when submitted. The cgi should call... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting %## back to special characters from an HTML form

I have an HTML form that sends email to a large list of users one at a time by matching an email address in peoplesoft to their username. It works great, except that special characters are converted to %## format. Is there a library of these I can use to sed them back (yes this is a crappy UNIX... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing KSH variable to AWK with two loops

Hi, I need some help to figure out why an outer for loop KSH variable does not decode in AWK but inner for loop does. Below is my code, If I hard code variable 'SUBSEQ' in AWK it works but if I try to pass the SUBSEQ from KSH, it does not and when I pass the variable 'NAM' from KSH it works: I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chowdhut
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

on HTML form, Call Expect in Perl problem

Hi I have a successfullly run perl script (by issuing command "perl sub.pl" under shell mode) and this sub.pl will call sub.exp successfully. The sub.exp expect script is basically to login to a server and run some commands and put the output into a sub.txt file, it takes about 5 seconds to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cxbest
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass variable to php from html form

I am sure this is easy but I can't figure it out... Here is the form. <?php $searchString = $_POST; if (!isset($_POST)) ?> <html> <head> <title>Personal INFO</title> </head> <body> <form method="post" action="search.php"> <input type="text" size="20" maxlength="20" name="search">... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing value of variable in KSH

Here is a sample script demonstrating the issue x() { echo "foo" a=1 } ## the value of $a is 1 a=0 x echo $a ## the value of $a stays 0 a=0 x|sed "s/foo/bar/" echo $a Result: foo 1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbmarvin56
1 Replies

7. Solaris

man pages in html form

Hi I would like to convert standard online man pages from my solaris10 system into html form to publish it on my webpage. How this can be done in Sol10 ? thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass argument to html upload form

I am using an html form and a php upload script to upload files. HTML form <table width="500" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" bgcolor="#CCCCCC"> <tr> <form action="upload_ac.php" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data" name="form1" id="form1"> <td> <table... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anil510
1 Replies

9. Programming

Html form to submit data to bash script

hi all, im going to design a web html form so users can input what username and password they want to make the ftp account, once they enter in a username and password they click on the submit button and it submits it to a bash script and then the bash script will run and finish of making the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Passing output parameter(Oracle) to variable in ksh Script

Hello, I have researched and tried many way to pass OUT parameter to be stored in variable in KSH Script.Still not success, please help. Here is my Store Procedure. create procedure testout3(v_in varchar2,v_out OUT integer) as begin v_out := 1; end; Here is my testvout.ksh #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: palita2601
1 Replies
times(1)							   User Commands							  times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 times(1)