Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Command meaning.
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Command meaning. Post 62235 by jim mcnamara on Monday 14th of February 2005 11:12:17 AM
Old 02-14-2005
if you use
Code:
set trimout on

it removes trailing blanks. Otherwise SQLPLUS will pad your output with trailing blanks up to the value of linesize.

And thumbsup is right - just count the lines in file - wc -l <filename>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command meaning

I know tr stands for table if i am not wrong but what does this whole command means can anyone give an idea ? | tr ' ' '\n' | sed -e "s/.*=\"\(.*\)\".*/\1/g (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris1234
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command meaning

Thanks guys for helping me out (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris1234
2 Replies

3. AIX

What's meaning of "POWER" in diag command.?

I ran 'diag' command to verify disk follow the below steps. DIAG------?task selection-------ssa service aid-----Link verification I found that there are 3 types of status. (Good, Failed and Power). scp2: pdisk23 D69E584F 0 16 Power scp2: pdisk19 D657E7A9 1 15 Power scp2: pdisk28... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pattarapongn
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passwd command what is the meaning

Hello to everybody i have question i do the passwd -s -a commando and what to knos what is the meaning of the second row. PS NL LK to the side is the date of expiraton and then a 7 a 90 what is the meaning of all that? tHANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: enkei17
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

the meaning of "!:*" in "alias foo 'command\!:*' filename"

Hi: How can I remove my own post? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil518
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

^$$ meaning

Hi , Can anyone please let me know whta the follwoing piece of code for ScriptName=${0##*/} if pgrep -f "$ScriptName" | grep -v "^$$\$" ; then echo `date`": Sctipt $ScritName is already runnig" exit fi Thnx a lot in advance Please use code tags when posting data and code... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of "b" modifier in "sort" command

I need to sort the following file by the rhdiskpower devices in the last column: Total_MB Free_MB OS_MB Name Failgroup Library Label UDID Product Redund Path 1024 851 1024 OCRVOT1_0000 OCRVOT1_0000 System UNKNOWN ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wjssj
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

meaning of swap -s command

Hi, Please explain about the command and its output swap -s in a very detailed manner (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ajoy
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Meaning of command ls -la

Hello everyone, I just began studying solaris 10. I have tried searching for the meaning of this command (ls -la ). Can anyone please explain to me what the command ls -la does? example ls -la /etc Thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compile command meaning?

cc -Wall -c ctest1.c ctest2.c whats meaning of -(hyphen before c and wall) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahor1989
1 Replies
sdiff(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sdiff(1)

NAME
sdiff - side-by-side difference program SYNOPSIS
[options ...] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
uses the output of diff(1) with the option, which ignores trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) and treats other strings of blanks as equal, to produce a side-by-side listing of two files, indicating those lines that are different. Each line of the two files is printed with a blank gutter between them if the lines are identical, a in the gutter if the line only exists in file1, a in the gutter if the line only exists in file2, and a for lines that are different. For example: abc | xyz abc abc bca < cba < dcb dcb > cde Options recognizes the following options: Use the next argument, n, as the width of the output line. The maximum value of n is 2048 (LINE_MAX). The default line length is 130 charac- ters. Only print on the left side when lines are identical. Do not print identical lines. Use the next argument, output, as the name of a third file that is created as a user-controlled merging of file1 and file2. Identical lines of file1 and file2 are copied to output. Sets of differences, as produced by diff(1), are printed; where a set of differ- ences share a common gutter character. After printing each set of differences, prompts the user with a and waits for one of the following user-typed commands: append the left column to the output file append the right column to the output file turn on silent mode; do not print identical lines turn off silent mode call the editor with the left column call the editor with the right column call the editor with the concatenation of left and right call the editor with a zero length file exit from the program On exit from the editor, the resulting file is concatenated on the end of the output file. EXAMPLES
Print a side-by-side diff of two versions of a file on a printer capable of printing 132 columns: Retrieve the most recently checked in version of a file from RCS and compare it with the version currently checked out: SEE ALSO
diff(1), ed(1). sdiff(1)