Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How does an Administrator helps Progremmers Post 61847 by RTM on Wednesday 9th of February 2005 09:51:29 AM
Old 02-09-2005
This seems like a very generic question. Do you have something specific you are looking for, a situation you aren't sure how to handle?

Programmers usually need the System Administrator to configure system parameters for 3rd party database servers (/etc/system) and to configure filesystem or disks for use by the application. Most of the applications should be run by a userid other than root (although this isn't always the case). System Administrators and programmers usually work together to get the server running at the best possible for what they have. Monitoring applications and log files by both will help them understand what may be needed in the future as far as hardware requirements.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

this helps me out big time

ever since i started playing with unix at work i have found all kinds of helpful tools that my companie has added into our /usr/bin/ this is the one that helped the most """"""ldr""""""" #!/bin/sh # # @(#) %filespec: ldr-2 % %date_modified: Wed Sep 6 09:54:07 2000 % # # ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerzey4life
4 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Administrator and Linux Administrator transition

Hello Unix Experts, I'm going to be graduating with a CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree in the coming year. I have been offered an internship with a job title of Unix Administrator under a well known company. I understand that Unix is used for high-end servers in many large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentmd24
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP Client helps bash + awk

FTP Client helps bash + awk Good afternoon, Dear I have a script that performs a file sent to another server the process is simple but moving large volume of information is run through crontab every 30 minutes, is that the scritp connected to Windows servers, I have unix (solaris 5.10), the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arnolkat
6 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Makefile helps

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The code in project2 is for a program that formats C++ code into HTML for presentation in a webpage. For example,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhnguyen0708
1 Replies
nissetup(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       nissetup(8)

NAME
nissetup, ypsetup - Sets up the Network Information Service (NIS) environment SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/nissetup /usr/sbin/ypsetup DESCRIPTION
The nissetup (formerly ypsetup) script configures and runs NIS on your system. You can use nissetup to initially set up your NIS configura- tion, to change your current NIS configuration, or to remove your NIS configuration. NIS provides a distributed data lookup service for sharing data among networked systems. Before running nissetup, make sure that your system is connected to a local area network and that the network is configured and running. You must know the name of your NIS domain and your system's role in the domain (master server, slave server, or client). Security Note You invoke nissetup from the SysMan Menu. See sysman(8) for more information. When using the nissetup script to set up a NIS server that is running with enhanced security, you must answer yes to the question about locking the domain name and authorized servers (the ypbind -S option). If you are setting up a master server, the server is bound to itself (done by default). If you are setting up a slave server, the server is bound to itself done by default) and optionally to the master server and any other slave servers. If your system will be the master server for your NIS domain, be sure no other master exists for your domain and that the NIS database files are in the /var/yp/src directory. Note Remove the root entry, if it exists, from the passwd database file. If your system be will be a slave server or client, be sure a master server is already set up for your NIS domain. FILES
Specifies the command pathname NIS parameters pertinent to a specific system Default NIS Databases In the /var/yp/src directory, the default databases are: Group database Host database Sendmail alias database Network group aliases data- base Network database Password database Protocol database RPC database Service database SEE ALSO
Commands: domainname(1), ypwhich(1), svcsetup(8), sysman(8), sysman_station(8), ypbind(8), yppasswdd(8), ypserv(8), ypxfr(8) Files: svc.conf(4) Networking: nis_intro(7), nis_manual_setup(7) Network Administration nissetup(8)