Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris What is an Ideal Backup Strategy Post 61831 by Cameron on Wednesday 9th of February 2005 06:55:05 AM
Old 02-09-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by una
What is an Ideal Backup Strategy
In a nut shell, one that works effectively when called upon.

The term `Ideal` is ambiguous as different sites have different needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by una
We have a solaris setup in our company and i have been assigned on a project of planning a backup strategy . ours is a midium level company.
I know of a couple of Medium Level Businesses that have inexcess of 2000 servers each. So .......

Get out a pen and paper and start discussing with your company stakeholders what is core business critical systems and what isn't. For example; live/production servers and mail servers are generally considered critical systems, test/develpoment systems are not. Also know ahead of time what your budget is to get the task done. Also have stakeholders identify any SLA, OLA, etc that could be impacted by backup schedules.

Get each of your stakeholders to identify what they require backing up and with what regularity. Don't take this role on yourself, otherwise it could be a case of hit-and-miss. This detail received should include server names, IP addresses, and specific directories for example. Some systems require full-backups every time, other can withstand incremental backups during the week and a full-backup at weeks end (and a monthly backup on the last w/end of the month).

Draw yourself a micky-mouse diagram of what resources you have available to perform backups and spread the load across all resources. If you quickly find that you are running out of time and resources to perform your backups - then raise a red-flag and start making a purchase order Smilie

Another tip is to ease into your backup plan. No point flogging everything at the one time to have it all fall over. From the start, keep track of backup statistics - these metrics (amount of data backed-up, tapes used, time taken to perform backup, time period of backup) can be benificial to help reorganise backup scheduling and justify expansion requirements or upgrades.

I know it's a bit brief, but I hope that helps some.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strategy to concatenate and backup files

I need to be able to concatenate all the files in a directory into a new filename and a different directory. I want to append the date in YYYYMMDD format to the new filename (ie, newfilename_20090207). The original files will have different filenames so I will need to be able to loop thru each... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ryan2786
1 Replies

2. Solaris

what is ideal temp for US-III+

Hi all, is it okay for US-III+ running at 1200 MHZ to excced 75° C on sun fire 880 here's the output when i ran prtdiag -v on sunfire 880 running solaris10 bash-3.00# prtdiag -v System Configuration: Sun Microsystems sun4u Sun Fire 880 System clock frequency: 150 MHz Memory size: 8192... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

max/ideal value of items in limits.conf in rhel5?

i want to set limits in /etc/security/limits.conf.My os is rhel 5.2. It was giving continuous messages in in /var/log/secure like : continuously. I have changed values of priority and nice to "0" from unlimited and messages are not comming. But i want to know what is the ideal/maximum... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
3 Replies

4. AIX

How do I killed ideal users from AIX 5.3 smit?

Hi, I'm newbee to AIX and would like to setup a process which kills 1 Hr. ideal users from smit. Please advise for making it work. :) Thanks, Sumit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit30
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

6. Slackware

Ideal partition sizes of 17 gb space.

I am planning to install slack 13.37 on an old stand-alone PIII (512 mb ram) with 17 gb disk space. I need to keep lotsa pdf, chm type e-books for programming with few other misc. documents. I'm going to use this system for my personal use. It has no network but I browse internet with cable... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies
BDB.DB0(5)							AFS File Reference							BDB.DB0(5)

NAME
bdb.DB0, bdb.DBSYS1 - Contain the Backup Database and associated log DESCRIPTION
The bdb.DB0 file contains the Backup Database, which records configuration information used by the AFS Backup System along with cross- indexed records of the tapes created and volumes dumped using the Backup System commands. The bdb.DBSYS1 file is a log file in which the Backup Server (buserver process) logs each database operation before performing it. When an operation is interrupted, the Backup Server replays the log to complete the operation. Both files are in binary format and reside in the /var/lib/openafs/db directory on each database server machine that runs the Backup Server. When the Backup Server starts or restarts on a given machine, it establishes a connection with its peers and verifies that its copy of the bdb.DB0 file matches the copy on the other database server machines. If not, the Backup Servers use AFS's distributed database technology, Ubik, to distribute to all of the machines the copy of the database with the highest version number. Use the commands in the backup suite to administer the Backup Database. It is advisable to create a backup copy of the bdb.DB0 file on tape on a regular basis, using the UNIX tar command or another local disk backup utility. SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_savedb(8), buserver(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BDB.DB0(5)