Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ghost Users
Operating Systems AIX Ghost Users Post 61740 by guest100 on Tuesday 8th of February 2005 05:53:35 AM
Old 02-08-2005
The answer to your questions is:

Some threads from applications used by the user are kept open even after the user logs off. Some of them have a default auto kill time set and some are not. That varies from OS to OS.
Also, if the user used console, or other x-terms that means that various tty's connections established. UNIX works with proccesses, threads, sessions, tty's.
With the "ps" command you can only see the top level procces.

Also, do a 'netstat -a'

it can help you realise how UDP and sockets are mixed with all the above.

Cheers

Aris :-)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PS finds a ghost?

Hello, I have problems executing a script in ksh with this script named process.sh: ps -ef | grep process.sh | grep -v grep | wc -l | read a if then echo "The script is running" exit 0 fiThe problem is that when I execute the script, sometimes it shows the message "The script is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jguirao
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logoff ghost user

I just noticed by running a who command that I was logged in twice . So two admin2 are on the list. (solaris 2.6) Since I telnet using a windows 98, I suppose that I forgot to CTRL-D last time I logged in and clicked on hangup. In such a case, how can I loggoff the old ghost loggin ? It's not a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpote
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I ghost a Unix Box ? with another

I have a Solaris Ultra 10 Box, which contains all my software, I got a new Sun Ultra10 with the same configuration. Can I ghost the it ? Does Unix support any such application. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stephen104
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About ghost pid

Hi, I have a strange (for me) problem here: I use stop command to close program. After that I try to start it again. However, it wont start because one of the needed component fails to start. That is caused propably because the failing component is still running (obviously as a ghost pid).... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kolada
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ghost file, delete help

I'm trying to delete a folder in my trash that contains no files or hidden files and nothing happens. It is still there. However, when I try to delete everything in the folder in terminal I receive an error: Ti?ng Viê?t.html: No such file or directory. I can't find this file anywhere on my tiger... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jopper
1 Replies

6. SCO

Clone hard disk using Ghost

Hi. We tried cloning a SCO Unix hard disk using Norton Ghost. However, the new cloned hard disk encounter booting problem. What possibly go wrong? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mizan
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ghost reboot on AIX5300-08

we are on aix5300-08. it reboot by itself. according to our unix admin and IBM support, they had seen this before. so, they asked her to apply latest AIX patch for 5300-08. did anyone ever seen anything like this before ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ghost 4 unix

Hello, I am looking for help on how to use ghost 4 unix. I know there is a site for ghost 4 unix, but if I understood that I wouldn't be here. Everything is already set up, there is a ftp server, iomega network hard drive, there are already images on this network harddrive. I know how to use the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slakk
0 Replies

9. AIX

Flashcopy, ghost hdisk ??

Hi all, I'm getting some errors on AIX regarding Flashcopy and volume group hard disks. The script that activates flashcopy showed this errors: Recreating Flashcopy for lun01_A1 Performing syntax check... Syntax check complete. Executing script... Script execution complete. SMcli... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: enux
1 Replies
gnome-cleanup(1)						   User Commands						  gnome-cleanup(1)

NAME
gnome-cleanup - cleans GNOME user preferences SYNOPSIS
gnome-cleanup user DESCRIPTION
gnome-cleanup erases all GNOME user preferences, returning the user to the default look and feel. This can be used to undo undesired pref- erence settings, or to correct the desktop if the preferences become corrupt. The GNOME preference files are automatically recreated the next time the user logs into a GNOME session. By default this program erases the configuration files for the user running the command. However, a different user can be specified on the command line. Of course, configuration files are only erased if the user running gnome- cleanup has appropriate file permissions to erase the user's configuration files. gnome-cleanup will display a listing of all preference files that it will erase before erasing any files, and prompts the user to confirm that they would like to erase these files. Files are erase only after receiving a positive confirmation from the user. gnome-cleanup cannot be run while logged into a GNOME session. Users should run this program when logged into another session, for exam- ple, the Failsafe session. If the user tries to run this program while already logged into GNOME, an error message is displayed. OPTIONS
None. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: user Specify the user whose configuration files will be erased. The files will only be erased if the user running gnome-cleanup has file permissions to erase the user's configuration files. This is useful, for example, if you want to run the script as the root user to erase the configuration files for a specific user. If user is not specified, the user is the same as the user who runs the gnome-cleanup command. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Erase GNOME user preferences example% gnome-cleanup After displaying a list of preference files that will be erase, the following question is displayed: Do you wish to remove these files (Y/N) The files are erase only if the user provides a positive response. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-cleanup Executable for GNOME cleanup. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-panel | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003, 2007. SunOS 5.11 27 Nov 2007 gnome-cleanup(1)