Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A few newbie questions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A few newbie questions Post 6171 by hellz on Thursday 30th of August 2001 05:18:07 PM
Old 08-30-2001
Hi guys,

That was what I was looking for, thank you very much. Smilie It's brought up one other question I have though, from the passwd file, the lines output in a way like this:

demos::993:997Smilieemonstration User:/usr/demos:/bin/csh
OutOfBox::995:997:Out of Box Experience:/usr/people/tour:/bin/csh

As you can see, those don't have passwords, but what part of the lines is the username?

Thanks ever so much again. Smilie

hellz.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

buncha questions from a newbie

Even though I have been logging in to a UNIX shell at school to complete school projects and write programs, but I had never really worked in UNIX environment. But a couple of weeks back I got hooked on to Solaris 9OE, read a book, a tutorial, a document provided on the Sun Microsystems website,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: init-5
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie Questions

I am relatively new to both KSH and Unix scripting, and I would like some help getting my script up and running. I would like to have the script attempt various commands (tar, copy, gzip etc) and then write the results (error msg or success msg) to a temp file. I would then like an email sent to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharley
2 Replies

3. Linux

Questions of a newbie

I have been an apple customer for years now, and am not satisfied with the direction that they are going. So I just ordered my first PC notebook the other day. I have no desire to use windows, however with microsoft's hold on the market, I feel that I may have a hard time doing this. I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brycemb16
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix questions for newbie

Hi Unix gurus, I know these are some easy questions. But i just want to be sure about them. Hope someone can help explain the following please? 1) if ] - What does the "-r" means? 2) isql -U $DBUSER -D $DBNAME -S $DSQUERY -w 1000 -s";" << testfile > $FILE - What does the -s";" mean and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gholdbhurg
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LISP newbie's questions

Hello, I want to learn LISP, and I have a GNU/Linux OS. I first sought a LISP compiler/interpreter and was told that GNU Emacs has a LISP mode. But I couldn't get into LISP mode, nor I don't know how to use it when I get into LISP mode. How can I run LISP code under GNU Emacs? And if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rayne
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris Newbie questions...

Hello everyone, I am brand spanking new to both Solaris and Unix. I thought I would give it a go after buying a SB2500 off ebay for a few hundred dollars. I am having some issues that I am not sure how to correct, and I am wondering if I can get a few pointers? The first one is that my system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GeekMasterFlash
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl newbie questions!

Hi, So I started to learn perl a few days ago, and I have some problems... One of my problems... #!C:\Perl64\bin\perl.exe -w use LWP::Simple; print "Content-Type: Text/Plain\n\n"; sub pagelinks { return @all = get($_) =~ /href\s*=\s*"?(+)/gis; } @a =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: byte1918
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couple of newbie Unix questions

I entered a command at the prompt and it's interactive (not background). It gathers some stats and writes them to a file. I want to see this job running and what it's doing - I/O especially and maybe CPU and stuff. What can do to see this (say using a second session?) I know it's a long job but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ido1957
3 Replies

9. AIX

Newbie Questions for AIX !!!

Hi Guys, I am new in this forum and new with AIX however not new with Power System. I have worked with iSeries for many years. Now supporting AIX on Power. Here are some basic questions I have. 1. I am using Putty to connect from my PC to the AIX boxes. Is there any other (better) program to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 300zxmuro
6 Replies
PATHS(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  PATHS(3)

NAME
paths -- default system paths SYNOPSIS
#include <paths.h> DESCRIPTION
The <paths.h> header defines some default paths used in NetBSD. All defined constants are prefixed with _PATH. The constants include: o The default user search path set by login(1) and associated utilities such as rshd(8). This is defined by _PATH_DEFPATH and includes directories such as /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin. o Default paths for some utilities and device nodes. Examples include such paths as /dev/null (_PATH_DEVNULL), /dev/mem (_PATH_MEM), and /etc/nologin (_PATH_NOLOGIN), among others. o Paths for some default directories such as /dev (_PATH_DEV) and /tmp (_PATH_TMP) as well as paths for some miscellaneous utilities such as csh(1), /bin/csh (_PATH_CSHELL). SEE ALSO
whereis(1), sysexits(3), types(3), hier(7) CAVEATS
The <paths.h> header is specific to NetBSD. BSD
April 8, 2011 BSD