Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Searching for a specific phrase on Unix server Post 61685 by zazzybob on Monday 7th of February 2005 03:18:00 PM
Old 02-07-2005
If you mean phrases inside files, something like

find / -type f | xargs grep "My phrase looks like this"

should do the job. If you're not sure of the case of your phrase, use grep -i.

If you're talking about the filenames themselves, standard find will do the trick

find / -name "*some_part_of_filename*" -type f

There is more than one way to do this, by the way Smilie

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a specific string in an argumnet

I want to check the second argument for a specific string . The code below is what I am trying, but I get: UX:test (./test): ERROR: { if ($0 ~ /StringImLooking4/) {print $1} }: Unknown operator I want to test if the second argument contains the string StringImLooking4 Unixware 7 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dinplant
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching a file in a unix server

Please let me know which command and its format to use to search for a file. Windows provides a find option but i would like to know the equivalent in UNIX. for example i need to search for a file called uv.config and where exactly it is located in a unix server. TIA. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhmr7
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - searching for a specific string

ppl, this is my "file" with fields orderno orderdate orderdesc telno street city 1 01/04/2006 abc 123 100 tampa 2 01/04/2006 abc 123 100 tampa 3 01/04/2006 abc 123 100 tampa 4 01/04/2006 abc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manthasirisha
2 Replies

4. AIX

find the specific file in unix server

hello i need a help in finding a specific file where it is stored in the unix server. is there a way to find it. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for specific filenames

Hi I would like to know how to search through a directory and pull out files that has a specific pattern in the filename. For example if the filename has "bsc" in it, then that file must be moved to another directory where I will perform some operations on it. I know grep can be used, but I'm... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for files with specific extensions

Hi, Could someone give me a hand with a search for files with two possible extensions, please. The requirement is simple - I need to issue a single ls command searching for files with the suffix of, say, *.txt and *.log. I've tried to use ls *.txt *.log which works if there are both... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neilmw
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a specific string in a file

Hi I am trying to search for a certain set of patterns within a file, and then perform other commands based on output. testfile contents: password requisite pam_cracklib.so lcredit=-1 ucredit=-1 ocredit=-1 script: D="dcredit=-1" if then echo $D exists else echo $D doesnt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bludhemn
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to match on phrase at beginning of line and specific columns?

Here is my file: 700 7912345678910 61234567891234567891 700 8012345678910 61234567891234567891 I want to pull all lines that begin with '700' only if columns 11-12 are '79'. My code so far only pulls the '79', not the whole line: grep ^700 file1 | cut -c 11,12 |... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a phrase and pull all lines that follow until the phrase occurs again?

I want to burst a report by using the page number value in the report header. Each section starts with *PAGE NO:* 1 Each section might have several pages, but the next section always starts back at 1. So I want to find the "*PAGE NO:* 1" value and pull all lines that follow until "*PAGE NO:* 1"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
4 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Accepting a phrase and counting the number of times that it is repeated in a specific website

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Develop a shell script that accepts a phrase and counts the number of times that it is repeated in a specific website. Note: Im not sure if it's the whole website, or just a specific page but im guessing its thewhole website. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zakerii
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)