Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Automated FTP task
Special Forums IP Networking Automated FTP task Post 6099 by Perderabo on Wednesday 29th of August 2001 04:02:01 PM
Old 08-29-2001
Quote:
Originally posted by ober5861

Perderabo... can you explain what that does exactly?

That is the file descriptor manipulation. Recall that fd 0 is standard-in, fd 1 is standard-out, and fd 2 is standard-error. The line "exec 4&>1" opens fd 4 and assigns it to whatever fd 1 was assigned to. As you will see, I am sorta "saving a copy of fd 1 in fd 4".

The line "ftp -nv >&4 2>&1 |&" is a little harder.

The "|&" turns the process into a co-process that allows subsequent "print -p" statements to send lines to the co-process' standard-in and "read -p" to read from its standard-out. So ksh forks a copy of itself and fiddles with the fd's 0 and 1 until this it set-up. But it leaves the rest of the fd's alone.

Then it encounters ">&4" which causes it to set the ftp process' standard out to whatever 4 is. Well since 4 is a copy of 1 before the co-process, we are back to writing to the original shell's standard out. Lastly, the 2>&4 does the same thing for standard error. I could've used "2>&1" at this point for the same effect.

This is hard to explain, but I hope this helps.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP automated?

If I wanted a machine to put a specific file onto another OS far across the internet via FTP - and I wanted to do it automatically not user intervented, how would I do that? Use the PUT command? The file name and position never changes, it gets overwritten and the system on the other end... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: n9ninchd
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automated FTP

My requiremnet is to write a FTP script which will ftp a file to a specified ftp url. How can I automate the process usnig the unix cron. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: shauche
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

one time automated ftp session

How can an automated script be setup to run at a later time in the day. cron runs recurring tasks. I am interested in a one time process. I want to back up a number of files whenever I make changes to an application and ftp for backup purposes. The script to automate the zipping of files has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msmkeml
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

Automated ftp for Multiple files

I have seen the script posted yesterday for automated ftp Can we do some thing like ftp ing multiple files in one script Example input.txt has all files names to be ftped input.txt ------ a.tar b.ccp c.perl i need to ftp all the files present in input.txt i tried something like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

automated ftp.

Hi I am trying to delete some specific files ( files other than created today) from the server on a cron basis. I wrote a small script, but I am stuck up in how to delete only specific files. #!/usr/bin/expect -f set IP set timeout -1 spawn ftp $IP expect ): send "username\n"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sangfroid
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to devlop automated FTP in UNIX

Automated FTP. hint : use 'atd' to schedule to run a specific script. An Env Variable should be created,say CONF_DIR which points to some dir. @ some time, create a TAR file of this and FTP it to some server. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishalzone2002
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automated FTP

I want to do Automated FTP from linux client to LINUX server using a shell script after every one hour. And copies last most updated file from Linux server. OR You can say that whenever files get modified on LINUX server so it also copies on my LINUX client. Linux SERVER path=... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automated FTP script using .netrc to multiple FTP servers

Hi all, I'm using the following script to automated ftp files to 1 ftp servers host=192.168.0.1 /usr/bin/ftp -vi >> $bkplog 2>&1 <<ftp open $host bin cd ${directory} put $files quit ftp and the .netrc file contain machine 192.168.0.1 login abc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varu0612
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automated FTP

Hello,I just know the basics of scripting & I need a script to automate ftp since I use it quite often. I use ftp to transfer different kind of files and everytime the source & the destination directories are different for transferring files, so can anyone help me out on this urgently.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit_02mar
2 Replies
read(1) 							   User Commands							   read(1)

NAME
read - read a line from standard input SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/read [-r] var... sh read name... csh set variable = $< ksh read [ -prsu [n]] [ name ? prompt] [name...] DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/read The read utility will read a single line from standard input. By default, unless the -r option is specified, backslash () acts as an escape character. If standard input is a terminal device and the invoking shell is interactive, read will prompt for a continuation line when: o The shell reads an input line ending with a backslash, unless the -r option is specified. o A here-document is not terminated after a NEWLINE character is entered. The line will be split into fields as in the shell. The first field will be assigned to the first variable var, the second field to the second variable var, and so forth. If there are fewer var operands specified than there are fields, the leftover fields and their interven- ing separators will be assigned to the last var. If there are fewer fields than vars, the remaining vars will be set to empty strings. The setting of variables specified by the var operands will affect the current shell execution environment. If it is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment, such as one of the following: (read foo) nohup read ... find . -exec read ... ; it will not affect the shell variables in the caller's environment. The standard input must be a text file. sh One line is read from the standard input and, using the internal field separator, IFS (normally space or tab), to delimit word boundaries, the first word is assigned to the first name, the second word to the second name, and so on, with leftover words assigned to the last name. Lines can be continued using ewline. Characters other than NEWLINE can be quoted by preceding them with a backslash. These backslashes are removed before words are assigned to names, and no interpretation is done on the character that follows the backslash. The return code is 0, unless an end-of-file is encountered. csh The notation: set variable = $< loads one line of standard input as the value for variable. (See csh(1)). ksh The shell input mechanism. One line is read and is broken up into fields using the characters in IFS as separators. The escape character, (), is used to remove any special meaning for the next character and for line continuation. In raw mode, -r, the character is not treated specially. The first field is assigned to the first name, the second field to the second name, and so on, with leftover fields assigned to the last name. The -p option causes the input line to be taken from the input pipe of a process spawned by the shell using |&. If the -s flag is present, the input will be saved as a command in the history file. The flag -u can be used to specify a one digit file descriptor unit n to read from. The file descriptor can be opened with the exec special command. The default value of n is 0. If name is omitted, REPLY is used as the default name. The exit status is 0 unless the input file is not open for reading or an end-of-file is encoun- tered. An end-of-file with the -p option causes cleanup for this process so that another can be spawned. If the first argument contains a ?, the remainder of this word is used as a prompt on standard error when the shell is interactive. The exit status is 0 unless an end-of- file is encountered. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -r Does not treat a backslash character in any special way. Considers each backslash to be part of the input line. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: var The name of an existing or non-existing shell variable. EXAMPLES
Example 1: An example of the read command The following example for /usr/bin/read prints a file with the first field of each line moved to the end of the line: example% while read -r xx yy do printf "%s %s " "$yy" "$xx" done < input_file ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of read: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. IFS Determines the internal field separators used to delimit fields. PS2 Provides the prompt string that an interactive shell will write to standard error when a line ending with a backslash is read and the -r option was not specified, or if a here-document is not terminated after a newline character is entered. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 End-of-file was detected or an error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), line(1), set(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 28 Mar 1995 read(1)