Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Good books for UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Good books for UNIX Post 60913 by vibhor_agarwali on Monday 24th of January 2005 11:15:36 PM
Old 01-25-2005
Well,
What should I say.
I know that UNIX is an ocean, but if i start worrying about it right from the starting then how will i be able to proceed.
anyway presently i am working on Solaris.
now can you provide any guidelines.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. New to Unix. Which books should I read?

Unix Books

I'm just looking for really good unix book on programming in all shells, and system adminstrator books, and well as just all around really good books on unix. I know the "Unix Shell Programming" book that Neo recommends I recently purchased that it is very good. But when I heard that Neo has... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astudent
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Books

I'm just looking for really good unix book on programming in all shells, and system adminstrator books, and well as just all around really good books on unix. I know the "Unix Shell Programming" book that Neo recommends I recently purchased that it is very good. But when I heard that Neo has... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astudent
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Books on Unix

Hai All Iam looking for books in unix on shell scripting which has more stuff on how to run Oracle procedures or functions and the best methods to follow passing unix variables as parameters to Oracle. Thanks in advance Krishna (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnasai
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Good Solaris Books?

Hey everyone, Just to introduce myself, I'm a long time Windows admin who's being thrust headfirst into the world of Unix! We're taking on another business line that has a few Solaris 9 systems, so I need to get up to speed... or at least be able to SOUND like I am! I took an intro to Unix... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zealot
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Good books on Shell Scripting

All, I am new to shell scripting. Can you guys suggest me some good books/online tutorials for shell scripting(KSH/BASH)? Thanks in advance. Janardhan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raok1997
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Books on Unix

hi forum, i would like to learn Unix by myself and want to have some good knowlege ..is that possible ?which book can i follow?can anyone send me some book links ... Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vyra
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Books

Am new to this unix concept..i want to learn unix ..could anyone give link or free e-book to study and understand Unix fundamentals.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vyra
6 Replies

8. Solaris

any good solaris 10 books out there?

I'm going to start building/administrating solaris 10 systems (on SPARC platform) in the near future and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good solaris 10 book that I can use to learn the new features of solaris etc. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for good books in Shell Scripting

Hi, I am knew to Shell Scripting. Can someone please tell me some good books for Shell Scripting which explains in a very simple language and covers all the topics nicely. Thanks, Shubh. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
3 Replies

10. Programming

[C] seeking good books

I suppose everybody here read reference books like Kernighan & Ritchie one, but where's the real deal? I mean I'd like to learn more about special efficient techniques, tips&tricks, what compiler effectively does, and stuff like that. Could you please suggest me some books or internet... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Luke Bonham
1 Replies
emacs(1)						      General Commands Manual							  emacs(1)

NAME
emacs, xemacs - emacs editor DESCRIPTION
The emacs software is unsupported software that is provided as part of Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will fix problems in this unsupported software only if they are specific to Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will not fix problems that are integral to the software itself or that occur when the com- ponent is used on UNIX systems other than Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will not add functionality to this software. Except for this reference page, other reference pages that Tru64 UNIX supplies for emacs are passed through without changes. The reference pages distributed as part of this software are available in the directories /usr/share/doclib/annex/man/man[1-9]. You should use this directory stem in the man command or add it to the MANPATH environment variable to make these files available to the man command. Note Compaq is not responsible for the content or quality of reference pages and other documents installed under the /usr/share/doclib/annex directory and does not revise this material in response to customer problem reports. Reference pages installed under the /usr/share/doclib/annex/man directory are not available from Compaq in book form; for example, they are not included in the reference manu- als that you receive when you order the Tru64 UNIX documentation set as hard copy books. Problems related to the content or quality of any documentation installed in the /usr/share/doclib/annex directory tree should be sent to the developers of the documentation. The format for changing the search path with the man command is: man -P /usr/share/doclib/annex/man [section] title... If you are using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shells, use the following command sequence to modify your environment: MANPATH=$MAN- PATH:/usr/share/doclib/annex/man export MANPATH If you are using the C shell, enter the command: setenv MANPATH `echo $MANPATH`:/usr/share/doclib/annex/man See the reference pages for the man(1) command for additional information on the search path used to locate files. The reference pages associated with this product are not included in the whatis data base created by the catman command. Therefore, the man -k and apropos commands will not locate reference pages included with this product. SEE ALSO
Commands: apropos(1), catman(8), man(1) emacs(1)