Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: counting the number of lines
Operating Systems Linux counting the number of lines Post 60615 by google on Wednesday 19th of January 2005 11:26:28 AM
Old 01-19-2005
Yes, sorry. I posted that then quickly deleted that after I realized it was flat out wrong. You probably should use sed. Use Name as the first address and the end of the file as the second (Not sure how to do that - maybe others here know). Then count the lines in between.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting The Number Of Duplicate Lines In a File

Hello. First time poster here. I have a huge file of IP numbers. I am trying to output only the class b of the IPs and rank them by most common and output the total # of duplicate class b's before the class b. An example is below: 12.107.1.1 12.107.9.54 12.108.3.89 12.109.109.4 12.109.6.3 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchtime
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting number of occurences

Hi All, I have to count the number of occurences of the character " ; " in a given line. I had used the following awk command to achieve the same echo $KOP.dat|awk '{split($1,my,";"); for(i in my)c++ }END{print c-1}' My file KOP.dat had the following data ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingofprussia
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Counting number of similar lines

Hi All I have the input file OMAK_11. OMAK 000002EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000002EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000002EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000003EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000003EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000003EXCLUDE ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the number of lines - again

Hi all, I use bash shell and I have a problem with wc. I would like to determine the number of lines in a file so I do wc -l filename but I don't want to get the filename again I just would like to have the number of lines and use it in a variable. Can anybody help? Thank you, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the number of occurences

say i've got a text file with >10million sequences: ssss ssss tttttt uuuuuu uuuuuu uuuuuu ... I'd like to convert the file so that the output will report the number of occurence right by each sequence: 2 ssss 2 ssss 1 tttttt 3 uuuuuu 3 uuuuuu 3 uuuuuu .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johjoh
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting number of sentence

Hi all I want to count total numbers of sentences separated by fullstop (.) in different files under a directory at one go. Any help is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of characters

Hi all, Can someone help me in getting the following o/p I/p:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running sed and counting number of lines processed

/bin/sed -n ';4757335,$ p' | wc -l /bin/sed -n ';4757335,$ p' | egrep "Failed" | egrep -c "PM late arrrival" how can i combine the above two sed commands into one? i want to count the number of lines between the specified line number and the end of the file. AND and i want to count how many... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Counting The Number of Lines Between Values with Multiple Variables

Hey everyone, I have a bunch of lines with values in field 4 that I am interested in. If these values are between 1 and 3 I want it to count all these values to all be counted together and then have the computer print out LOW and the number of lines with those values in between 1 and 3,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VagabondGold
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: Counting values less than a number

So I have several files (35000, to be exact) in the format rmsd_protein_*.dat each with 2 columns and 35000 rows. I would like to count how many values in the second column are less than 3 for each file, and output it into a new file so that it ultimately appears as: 1 14057 2 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexandryne
12 Replies
postwait(2)							System Calls Manual						       postwait(2)

NAME
postwait: pw_getukid(), pw_wait(), pw_post(), pw_postv(), pw_getvmax() - lightweight synchronization mechanism SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
Postwait is a fast, lightweight sleep/wakeup mechanism that can be used for synchronization by cooperating kernel threads within a single process or between separate processes. A thread calls to block. It resumes execution when it is posted by another thread, the call expires, or is signaled. If one or more posts are already pending, returns immediately. Threads using postwait are identified by their ukid. A thread retrieves its ukid by calling It shares this ukid with anyone it chooses by any means it considers appropriate (for example, shared memory). is called with a timeout ts. If ts is NULL, the thread will not timeout. It will remain blocked until posted or a signal wakes it up. If ts points to a zero-valued timespec, will return immediately with a value (and indicating whether or not it was posted. If ts points to a timespec whose value is greater than zero, the thread will block for that amount of time unless it is posted or inter- rupted by a signal, in which case the timespec pointed to by ts is updated with the remaining time. The return value and are set to indi- cate the reason the call returned. is used to post many threads with a single call. It posts to all threads in the targets array. An value for each target is returned in the errors array. (0 indicates success.) If the errors pointer is zero, no target-specific errors are copied out. There is a maximum number of threads that can be posted with a single call. This value is returned by Posts sent to a kernel thread that already has a post pending against it are discarded. RETURN VALUE
returns 0 if it succeeds, -1 otherwise. returns 0 if posted, -1 otherwise. returns 0 if the post succeeds, -1 otherwise. returns 0 if every post succeeds, -1 otherwise. returns the maximum number of kernel threads that can be posted with a single call to ERRORS
sets to one of the following values if it fails: ukid points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. sets to one of the following values if it fails: was called with a timeout of 0 but the caller has no post(s) pending. was called with a timeout that expired. ts points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. was interrupted by a signal. The timespec pointed to by ts is invalid. sets to one of the following values if it fails: The ukid refers to a non-existent kernel thread. sets to one of the following values if it fails: targets points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. errors points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. count is less than 0. count exceeds the maximum value (as returned by A ukid refers to a non-existent kernel thread. postwait(2)