Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to create a dynamic list? Post 60245 by dangral on Thursday 13th of January 2005 11:07:15 AM
Old 01-13-2005
This isnt a homework question, right? I'll give you a simple psuedocode with no error-checking. Something like:

cd /
Ask for input (read command)
while reply not equal -1
do
tar reply
Ask for input(read command)
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a list of dynamic names to a "PS" command in shell script?

Hi, I am new to shell script. This is my first post .I have written a small script which returns list of names starts with "ram" in /etc/passwd .Here is that:- #!/bin/ksh NAME_LIST="name_list.txt" cat /dev/null > $NAME_LIST evalcmd="cat /etc/passwd | grep "^ram?*" | cut -d: -f1" eval... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.tendulka
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a list of entries without vi

Hi Is there a way to create a list of entries in a file without using vi to create this list ? I like to write a shell script that would create a list like this: apple : 2 orange : 4 pear : 3 Any tips/suggestions ? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpc8250
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to obtain list of object files in a shared (dynamic) library?

How can I simply obtain a list of the object files in a shared (dynamic) library. I am looking for the equivalent of "ar -t <lib>" for archived (static) libraries. Thanks in advance. :rolleyes: ---------- Post updated at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:16 PM ---------- The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chatieremerrill
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sql dynamic table / dynamic inserts

I have a file that reads File (X.txt) Contents of record 1: rdrDESTINATION_ADDRESS (String) "91 971502573813" rdrDESTINATION_IMSI (String) "000000000000000" rdrORIGINATING_ADDRESS (String) "d0 movies" rdrORIGINATING_IMSI (String) "000000000000000" rdrTRAFFIC_EVENT_TIME... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magedfawzy
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create a phone list

Is there a step by step instructions for creating a simple phone list? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: organcory
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Create dynamic ksh script from a script

I am currently running 2 scripts to gather data for a 3rd script and would like to combine the 2 scripts into one. Having issues with the final output format. Note cannot post URL so replaced the http stuff with (name) in the examples All scripts contain #!/bin/ksh OS = Red Hat Enterprise... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcpinkerton
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Dynamic case creation based on output list from a command

I am attempting to create a script that would allow me to list all the instances associated with a DB2 and then prompt the user to choose which one to issue the db2profile command against. I use the db2 command db2ilist to get a list of the instances for a particular server, but the number of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slatoms
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic case creation based on output list from a command

I am attempting to create a script that would allow me to list all the instances associated with a DB2 and then prompt the user to choose which one to issue the db2profile command against. I use the db2 command db2ilist to get a list of the instances for a particular server, but the number of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: slatoms
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create, validate and using dynamic variables in Bash scripting

Hi All, I am really struggling to solve this problem, this might be small but I am not able to, can somebody help me? I have few directories and these directories receives text files in large amount with in fraction of seconds. So I just want to send all the files in current directory to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VasuKukkapalli
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Dynamic if condition

Create Dynamic If condition Hi, I have a file color.txt which has data as shown below Red Blue Green Yellow White Pink Black Based on a variable I execute a tail command as shown below tail -${LEFT_OVR} color.txt LEFT_OVR can be any number less than count of number of lines in a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
7 Replies
virt-tar-in(1)						      Virtualization Support						    virt-tar-in(1)

NAME
virt-tar-in - Unpack a tarball into a virtual machine disk image. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-in -a disk.img data.tar /destination virt-tar-in -d domain data.tar /destination zcat data.tar.gz | virt-tar-in -d domain - /destination WARNING
Using "virt-tar-in" on live virtual machines can be dangerous, potentially causing disk corruption. The virtual machine must be shut down before you use this command. DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-in" unpacks an uncompressed tarball into a virtual machine disk image or named libvirt domain. The first parameter is the tar file. Use "-" to read the tar file from standard input. The second parameter is the absolute target directory to unpack into. EXAMPLES
Upload a home directory to a guest: virt-tar-in -d MyGuest homes.tar /home JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-in" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-make-fs(1), virt-tar-out(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-in(1)