Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers need help with some commands please Post 60178 by mujtba on Wednesday 12th of January 2005 10:17:46 AM
Old 01-12-2005
Data need help with some commands please

In my unix machine I have the following setup.

root 7 Dec 13 10:02 Beta10 -> current
root 7 Dec 13 10:05 Beta11 -> current
root 7 Dec 13 10:06 Beta12 -> current
root 7 Dec 13 10:06 Beta13 -> current
root 7 Dec 13 10:07 Beta14 -> current
root 7 Dec 13 10:08 Beta15 -> current
root 7 Dec 13 10:02 current -> pub/TRIAL16

I used the following commands to set this up:

ln -sf current Beta15
ln -sf pub/TRIAL16flashimage.tgz.rsa current

Here is my question. Instead of manually telling every PC that contains BetaXX to download the 'current' file, how can I write this and say if any PC is NOT equal to current, then download current, otherwise do nothing.

Im new at this, please help.. I don't know if unix commands have IF, ELSE and THEN statements...

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

commands

hi, I'm completely new to FreeBds or unix in general, is there a really nice site to teach you the basic ommands to free BSD. I don't know what to do. =( (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Special K
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

commands

anyone know the command to display the ten most common words, together with their number of occurences, in the manual entry for the ls command. It would be much useful (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: master_6ez
1 Replies

3. Programming

code that reads commands from the standard i/p and executes the commands

Hello all, i've written a small piece of code that will read commands from standard input and executes the commands. Its working fine and is execting the commands well. Accepting arguments too. e.g #mkdir <name of the directory> The problem is that its not letting me change the directory i.e... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phrozen Smoke
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can BASH execute commands on a remote server when the commands are embedded in shell

I want to log into a remote server transfer over a new config and then backup the existing config, replace with the new config. I am not sure if I can do this with BASH scripting. I have set up password less login by adding my public key to authorized_keys file, it works. I am a little... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
1 Replies

5. AIX

HACMP: difference between 'cl' commands and 'cli' commands

Hi all, I'm new in this forum. I'm looking for the difference between the HACMP commands with the prefix "cl" and "cli". The first type are under /usr/es/sbin/cluster/sbin directory and the second are under /usr/es/sbin/cluster/cspoc directory. I know that the first are called HACMP for AIX... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peppix
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with some commands

Hi! i'd like from someone to explain me 'what is what' from these parts of code if it's possible.i'd like to understand them and their usage: 1) sed '3d' filename 2) sort –t: +0 -1 /etc/passwd and also this: tr ‘’ ‘ ‘ < filename thank you! (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: strawhatluffy
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with certain commands

I'm trying to figure out certain commands for these steps. If you wish to discuss with me in real time, PM me your AIM or MSN, thanks. Here are the steps. Edit the readcal_final file Delete all of the lines that comprise the colandar portion of the memo Without leaving vi, open a new... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vgmaster9
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi % commands

How can I find a list of shortcut commands I can execute within vi using the % indicator? For example, I can vi a file, press colon, and then type "%s/\r//g" to remove all instances of a carriage return. What else can be executed from the % prompt and what are the shortcut letters (I could type... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaindotC
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ls commands

So I need a way to list all files that contain 4 letters. Also separately I need to find a way to list all files with l or n as the third letter of the name. I need to use the ls command and/or grep/egrep. Any help would be a appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muttfacejohnson
2 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

What are the commands for this ?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: If the user enters option 1, your program should display the list of entries in the current directory. For... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: UniverseCloud
1 Replies
nisserver(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     nisserver(1M)

NAME
nisserver - set up NIS+ servers SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/nis/nisserver -r [-x] [-f] [-v] [-Y] [-d NIS+_domain] [-g NIS+_groupname] [-l network_passwd] /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -M [-x] [-f] [-v] [-Y] -d NIS+_domain [-g NIS+_groupname] [-h NIS+_server_host] /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -R [-x] [-f] [-v] [-Y] [-d NIS+_domain] [-h NIS+_server_host] DESCRIPTION
The nisserver shell script can be used to set up a root master, non-root master, and replica NIS+ server with level 2 security (DES). If other authentication mechanisms are configured with nisauthconf(1M), nisserver will set up a NIS+ server using those mechanisms. nisauth- conf(1M) should be used before nisserver. When setting up a new domain, this script creates the NIS+ directories (including groups_dir and org_dir) and system table objects for the domain specified. It does not populate the tables. nispopulate(1M) must be used to populate the tables. OPTIONS
-d NIS+_domain Specifies the name for the NIS+ domain. The default is your local domain. -f Forces the NIS+ server setup without prompting for confirmation. -g NIS+_groupname Specifies the NIS+ group name for the new domain. This option is not valid with -R option. The default group is admin.<domain>. -h NIS+_server_host Specifies the hostname for the NIS+ server. It must be a valid host in the local domain. Use a fully qualified host- name (for example, hostx.xyz.sun.com.) to specify a host outside of your local domain. This option is only used for setting up non-root master or replica servers. The default for non-root master server setup is to use the same list of servers as the parent domain. The default for replica server setup is the local hostname. -l network_password Specifies the network password with which to create the credentials for the root master server. This option is only used for master root server setup (-r option). If this option is not specified, the script prompts you for the login password. -M Sets up the specified host as a master server. Make sure that rpc.nisd(1M) is running on the new master server before this command is executed. -R Sets up the specified host as a replica server. Make sure that rpc.nisd is running on the new replica server. -r Sets up the server as a root master server. Use the -R option to set up a root replica server. -v Runs the script in verbose mode. -x Turns the echo mode on. The script just prints the commands that it would have executed. Note that the commands are not actually executed. The default is off. -Y Sets up a NIS+ server with NIS-compatibility mode. The default is to set up the server without NIS-compatibility mode. USAGE
Use the first synopsis of the command (-r) to set up a root master server. To run the command, you must be logged in as super-user on the server machine. Use the second synopsis of the command (-M) to set up a non-root master server for the specified domain. To run the command, you must be logged in as a NIS+ principal on a NIS+ machine and have write permission to the parent directory of the domain that you are setting up. The new non-root master server machine must already be an NIS+ client (see nisclient(1M)) and have the rpc.nisd(1M) daemon running. Use the third synopsis of the command (-R) to set up a replica server for both root and non-root domains. To run the command, you must be logged in as a NIS+ principal on a NIS+ machine and have write permission to the parent directory of the domain that you are replicating. The new non-root replica server machine must already be an NIS+ client and have the rpc.nisd daemon running. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Setting up Servers To set up a root master server for domain sun.com.: root_server# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -r -d sun.com. For the following examples make sure that the new servers are NIS+ clients and that rpc.nisd is running on these hosts before executing nisserver. To set up a replica server for the sun.com. domain on host sunreplica: root_server# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -R -d sun.com. -h sunrep To set up a non-root master server for domain xyz.sun.com. on host sunxyz with the NIS+ groupname as admin-mgr.xyz.sun.com.: root_server# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -M -d xyz.sun.com. -h sunxyz -g admin-mgr.xyz.sun.com. To set up a non-root replica server for domain xyz.sun.com. on host sunabc: sunxyz# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -R -d xyz.sun.com. -h sunabc ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
NIS+(1), nisgrpadm(1), nismkdir(1), nisaddcred(1M), nisauthconf(1M), nisclient(1M), nisinit(1M), nispopulate(1M), nisprefadm(1M), nis- setup(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the Solaris Operating system. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the current Solaris release. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.11 13 Dec 2001 nisserver(1M)