Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers problem editing big file in vi Post 59588 by videsh77 on Thursday 23rd of December 2004 12:53:59 PM
Old 12-23-2004
problem editing big file in vi

I have a big file, which vi opens it with message not sufficient space with file system.
I am not adding any data in the file but changing some values within.

To make these changes effective, it asks for forced write (w!), even after doing this,
I see this particular record, change is not effected.

What do I need to do in order to effect the changes with this big file?

With my system elvis & vim is not installed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to view a big file(143M big)

1 . Thanks everyone who read the post first. 2 . I have a log file which size is 143M , I can not use vi open it .I can not use xedit open it too. How to view it ? If I want to view 200-300 ,how can I implement it 3 . Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

a BIG problem

dear experts ...help :eek: I'm running FC2 and i was installing fluxbox but it wouldnt work so i uninstalled it by using rpm -e but because i installed fluxbox-styles it was dependent on fluxbox-0.10 so i used rpm -e --nodeps that was all fine and im not sure that was the cause of the error, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zeeman
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - editing file names (End of line problem?)

For lists in sed, to say what to replace, is this correct: I am hoping that this would recognise that either a "." is present, or that the substitution happens at the end of the line. For files with extensions , my script works perfectly. My problem is, files without extentions, i.e. . ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: busillis
1 Replies

4. Programming

please help me with this big makefile problem

I need to create an executable with these two makefiles(they both have libaries i need(qt and ruby)) i have extconf.rb gui.ui gui_include.h main.cpp ScaleIM_client.rb ui_gui.h i want to combine them all into one executable please!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjgfuj
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

big problem with rm command, please help me!!

Hi every body, well, i made quite a big mistake... In a script, I created a directory called "$PWD" ( it was unwanted...). nothing very frightening with that. The problem is that I wanted to remove it and I used the command rm -f -r $PWD And here is the big mistake!! Rather than deleting... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moumou
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How big is too big a config.log file?

I have a 5000 line config.log file with several "maybe" errors. Any reccomendations on finding solvable problems? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NeedLotsofHelp
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in using sed command in editing a file

Hi all, I have a conf file, i want to update some entries in that conf file. Below is the code for that using a temporary file. sed '/workgroup=/ c\workgroup=Workgroup' /usr/local/netx.conf > /usr/local/netx.conf.tmp mv -f /usr/local/netx.conf.tmp /usr/local/netx.conf Sample contents of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj14r
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with searching and then editing a file through shell.

Hi, I have searched through this forum as there are many similar entries but could'nt get one of them to work, either that or they were just different to what I needed. Basically I have a file, recordsDatabase. In this file are a few different fields. There is a unique identifier eg 001... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: U_C_Dispatj
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell quoting problem while editing a remote file using sed

value of i = solarisbox ssh $i "cat /etc/hosts | sed "s/$i\.local\.//" | sed "s/$i\./$i/" | sed "s/$i/$i.sol.com/" > /usr/users/chidori/edit_hosts"While running the above one liner its i am not able to make the changes and write it to the file /usr/users/chidori/edit_hosts . I know there is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing big file in UNIX

Hi Guys, I have a hugefile. I have requirement to change Indicator from "T" to "P" or from "P" to "T" which comes in header itself. I could not open either in any of editors or in UNIX command line using vi as file size > 3GB Please suggest a solution as how to achieve it through script or any... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abdulhameed M
10 Replies
STRSTR(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 STRSTR(3)

NAME
strstr, strcasestr, strnstr -- locate a substring in a string LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char * strstr(const char *big, const char *little); char * strcasestr(const char *big, const char *little); char * strnstr(const char *big, const char *little, size_t len); #include <string.h> #include <xlocale.h> char * strcasestr_l(const char *big, const char *little, locale_t loc); DESCRIPTION
The strstr() function locates the first occurrence of the null-terminated string little in the null-terminated string big. The strcasestr() function is similar to strstr(), but ignores the case of both strings. The strcasestr_l() function does the same as strcasestr() but takes an explicit locale rather than using the current locale. The strnstr() function locates the first occurrence of the null-terminated string little in the string big, where not more than len charac- ters are searched. Characters that appear after a '' character are not searched. Since the strnstr() function is a FreeBSD specific API, it should only be used when portability is not a concern. RETURN VALUES
If little is an empty string, big is returned; if little occurs nowhere in big, NULL is returned; otherwise a pointer to the first character of the first occurrence of little is returned. EXAMPLES
The following sets the pointer ptr to the "Bar Baz" portion of largestring: const char *largestring = "Foo Bar Baz"; const char *smallstring = "Bar"; char *ptr; ptr = strstr(largestring, smallstring); The following sets the pointer ptr to NULL, because only the first 4 characters of largestring are searched: const char *largestring = "Foo Bar Baz"; const char *smallstring = "Bar"; char *ptr; ptr = strnstr(largestring, smallstring, 4); SEE ALSO
memchr(3), memmem(3), strchr(3), strcspn(3), strpbrk(3), strrchr(3), strsep(3), strspn(3), strtok(3), wcsstr(3) STANDARDS
The strstr() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9899:1990 (``ISO C90''). BSD
October 11, 2001 BSD