Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers domainname dnsdomainname....etc ?? Post 59449 by locustfurnace on Monday 20th of December 2004 04:00:06 PM
Old 12-20-2004
Have you added your hostname to the file HOSTNAME in /etc

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question about domainname

I'm kindda confused about domainname and /etc/defaultdomain. If I type domainname tesT.com, will this be added to /etc/defaultdomain or do I need to add manually on /etc/defaultdomain as well?...second question, if I type domainname tesT.com...is it case sensitive? Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dookeobih
1 Replies

2. Linux

domainname command

Hey, I've been on this for a while... can somebody explain to me what the domainname command really does. The man pages don't tell enough. And how can i have the domain name set so it will be the same all the time when the OS boots up. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

ddns-rev-domainname being created wrong.

Greetings all, I have been battling with this problem for some time now, and I am not sure if I am just not seeing the obvious anymore or have made a stupid mistake, but I just can seem to get the reverse address in my network to run the right way. Short description of my network: I have a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adesso
3 Replies
HOSTNAME(5)							     hostname							       HOSTNAME(5)

NAME
hostname - Local hostname configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/hostname DESCRIPTION
The /etc/hostname file configures the name of the local system that is set during boot using the sethostname(2) system call. It should contain a single newline-terminated hostname string. The hostname may be a free-form string up to 64 characters in length; however, it is recommended that it consists only of 7-bit ASCII lower-case characters and no spaces or dots, and limits itself to the format allowed for DNS domain name labels, even though this is not a strict requirement. Depending on the operating system, other configuration files might be checked for configuration of the hostname as well, however only as fallback. You may use hostnamectl(1) to change the value of this file from the command line. HISTORY
The simple configuration file format of /etc/hostname originates from Debian GNU/Linux. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), sethostname(2), hostname(1), hostname(7), machine-id(5), machine-info(5), hostnamectl(1), systemd-hostnamed.service(8) systemd 208 HOSTNAME(5)