Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grub Loader entry overwritten Post 59423 by locustfurnace on Monday 20th of December 2004 05:34:15 AM
Old 12-20-2004
You dont need a Redhat Bootdisk, but if you would like one, you might be able to find the correct imgs for creating one, on Planetmirror.
You can use any LiveCD OS, such as SLAX, RescueCD. To recover your system. Boot the LiveCD, then once running,
cd /
mkdir TEST

Now mount the root Redhat (partition) system under Test, create any additional directories or mount the other necessary partitions underneath, example:
mount /dev/hda1 /TEST

Then change the current ROOT directory to the newly mounted dir.
chroot TEST

Since your now running on the RedHat system you should be able to navigate to where you need to go to reinstall the bootloader, run whatever it is to force a rewrite of the boot record.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grub problem- keeps rebooting as soon as it tries to do grub

Hi, I installed solaris 10 a few weeks ago. It was working fine during the past two weeks. However, now when I start to load to the drive, I get this problem: The BIOS screen comes up like normal, then screen goes blank and a message "Grub loading stage 2" flashes real quick then the computer... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moesays
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grub and longhorn loader

I currently have Gutsy, Fedora Core 7, and Vista running on the same hard disk and want to add XP to it. XP will of course kill my grub which I can get back with supergrub easily. I have no worries that my two Linux Distros will come back when I do this because Grub only points from the mbr to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dancingfool
2 Replies

3. Solaris

overwritten rootdisk?

Hi, The dump device on my system was set to /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7. I have done a savecore -Lv on the system which worked fine. I'm wondering have I overwritten the rootdisk here by mistake? The system is still up but will need to be rebooted due to an error on it. Will it come back up? ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwhelan
8 Replies

4. Programming

variables overwritten

Hi, i have some problems with the following code: char *tab_path; char *sep=" \t\n"; char line; char *p; FILE * file; int i = 0; if(fgets(line,MAXLINE,file)!=NULL){ if((p=strtok(line,sep))!=NULL)tab_path=p; while((p=strtok(NULL,sep))!=NULL){ i++; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
4 Replies

5. Ubuntu

grub loader

i was dual booting vista and ubuntu but i have now taken off vista. however the microsoft bootloader is still in the list. how do i get rid of it and automatically boot into ubuntu? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcbotha
13 Replies

6. Solaris

GRUB does not load Ms Winows loader

Hi to everyone ;) Yesterday I had to reinstall my dual boot because my bank smart card reader does not work with Solaris so I reinstalled Solaris after I installed Windows 7. When I turn on PC I get grub stage 2 and Solaris has made an entry in menu.lst but does not boot windows . Each OS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

file is getting overwritten

Hello All, I am writing a bash script on Solaris O/S. I looping through an array. For each iteration, i connect to the datatabase and use select statement. Output of which is redirected to .CSV file. here is the code for it. output="loop.csv" elements=${#currency_pair} ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arundhati_s
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Can we specify which grub.conf to use in grub-install.

Hi, Can we specify which grub.conf to use while installing grub on RHEL. We are working on application which requires different grub configurations needed, depending on certain criteria we need to update grub with correct grub.conf. Can we use grub-install for this purpose? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: successlin
4 Replies

9. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Help me, write a bash script to delete parent entry with all their child entry in LDAP UNIX server

Hi All, Please help me and guide me to write a bash/shell script on Linux box to delete parent entry with all their child entries. example: Parent is : ---------- dn: email=yogesh.kumar@wipro.com, o=wipro, o=in child is: ---------- dn: cn: yogesh kumar, email=yogesh.kumar@wipro.com,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chand
1 Replies

10. Solaris

How to recover x86 Solaris 10 u10 boot record/grub menu overwritten by Debian 9?

I installed x86 Solaris 10 update 10 after Windows XP, later I removed xp and installed Debian 9 stretch on the same partition but, Debian couldn't find any other os so it deleted Solaris 10 grub or did something like that I couldn't got. I thought I would be able to recover the lost record by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies
rhsm-icon(8)						    Subscription Status Daemon						      rhsm-icon(8)

NAME
rhsm-icon - Periodically checks installed products against active subscriptions to check their status. SYNOPSIS
rhsm-icon [--check-period] [--force-icon=warning|expired|partial] [--check-immediately] DESCRIPTION
Red Hat provides content updates and support by issuing subscriptions for its products. These subscriptions are applied to systems (machines) and apply to the installed software products. On graphical X systems (systems with a GUI interface), a product status daemon runs every 4 hours to check the currently installed software against the applied subscriptions. If software is installed without a valid and applied subscription (such as a subscription expires or no subscription is available for the product), then the daemon triggers an icon and warning message to display in the notification area of the menu. rhsm-icon only runs on graphical (X-based) systems. Servers which do not have a GUI interface do not run or require the rhsm-icon daemon. OPTIONS
-c, --check-period Sets the interval to use between checks for the product subscription status. The value is in seconds. -f, --force-icon=TYPE Manually displays the given type of icon in the start menu. The TYPE can be warning, expired, or partial and uses a different icon for each type of message. --i, --check-immediately Runs the status check process immediately when the command is invoked. Otherwise, there is a four (4) minute delay before running the check. -d, --debug Shows debug messages for the daemon. USAGE
There are two reasons to invoke rhsm-icon manually: * To run the daemon on a new schedule (immediately or with a different frequency) * To view the status icons or messages regardless of the state of the machine Since X runs the daemon automatically and on schedule, it is not necessary to launch the subscription status daemon manually. The rhsm-icon command can change this schedule. For example: rhsm-icon --check-period 120 Administrators can also run rhsm-icon to view any immediate changes to the subscription status of the system. Using the --check-immediately option runs the check at the time the command is run; otherwise, running rhsm-icon has a four-minute delay before running the status check. rhsm-icon --check-immediately If you just want to know what the different subscription status messages look like, then use the --force-icon option. (Also use the --check-immediately option, or the scan will take the standard four minutes to run and display the icon.) rhsm-icon --force-icon=warning --check-immediately rhsm-icon --force-icon=expired --check-immediately rhsm-icon --force-icon=partial --check-immediately BUGS
This daemon is part of Red Hat Subscription Manager. To file bugs against this daemon, go to https://bugzilla.redhat.com, and select Red Hat > Red Hat Enterprise Linux > subscription-manager. AUTHORS
Deon Lackey, <dlackey@redhat.com>, and James Bowes, <jbowes@redhat.com>. rhsm-icon was written by James Bowes. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2010-2012 Red Hat, Inc. This is licensed under the GNU General Public License, version 2 (GPLv2). A copy of this license is available at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.txt. version 1.3 December 12, 2012 rhsm-icon(8)