Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vi + regexp + substitute
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers vi + regexp + substitute Post 59146 by zazzybob on Friday 10th of December 2004 09:50:24 AM
Old 12-10-2004
Yes, you can add metacharacters such as

sed "/^.*blabla\ 'toto'\ rep:\/titi\/toto\/.*$/d" infile > outfile

Also; you can use the -i flag to sed if your version supports it to edit the file in-place, although I personally wouldn't recommend it - at least this way with redirection you keep your original intact incase you form your "sed" badly and ruin the file!

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

regexp

Hi guys, does anyone know how to test for a regular expression - i want to include it in a script to make sure the variable is a regexp cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penfold
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl regexp

What is the easiest way to get full address of *.jpg images from html file using perl? example: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2397/2126443111_65a810004c.jpg (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regexp help

I'd like to know if there is a catchall line for renaming the following patterns: s01e03 -> 01x03 s4e9 -> 04x09 s10e08 ->10x08 and possibly even: 318 -> 03x18 1002 ->10x02 if its the first 3 or first digit number in the string. thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TinCanFury
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regexp

Hi there! I would like to know how to find and replace all numbers in a *.html file and make them bold. Any help will be appreciated! :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print the line immediately after a regexp; but regexp is a sentence

Good Day, Im new to scripting especially awk and sed. I just would like to ask help from you guys about a sed command that prints the line immediately after a regexp, but not the line containing the regexp. sed -n '/regexp/{n;p;}' filename What if my regexp is 3 word or a sentence. Im... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ownins
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to do equivalent of /(regexp){0}/ ?

I don't want to have to resort to /()/ though that does work. Effectively, I need to be able to implement /(?:(?:regexp1){0})(regexp2)\D/ to basically match regexp2 as long as it is present and regexp1 is NOT. So, how to do /(regexp){0}/ ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vi-Curious
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with sed and regexp

Hi everyone, I would really appreciate any help I could get on the following topic. I am not very familiar with reg expressions nor with sed, I just know the basic uses. What I am trying to do is the following: I have a huge text file where I would like to replace all occurnces of a certain... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boxtuna
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regexp

I would like to extract "1333 Fairlane" given the below text. The word "Building:" is always present. The wording between Building and the beginning of the address can be almost anything. It appears the the hyphen is there most of the time. Campus: Fairlane Business Park Building:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbaker@copesan.
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gawk and regexp

Hello, This is a problem I've worked on a while and can't figure out. There is a file.txt ..some stuff.. ] ] ..some stuff.. The Awk program is trying to extract the year portion of the birth and death ("98: and "2nd C.") using the below technique #!/bin/awk @include... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mid Ocean
5 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

A Regexp You Can Use Everywhere

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ bakunin (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
0 Replies
scroll(3NCURSES)														  scroll(3NCURSES)

NAME
scroll, scrl, wscrl - scroll a curses window SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int scroll(WINDOW *win); int scrl(int n); int wscrl(WINDOW *win, int n); DESCRIPTION
The scroll routine scrolls the window up one line. This involves moving the lines in the window data structure. As an optimization, if the scrolling region of the window is the entire screen, the physical screen may be scrolled at the same time. For positive n, the scrl and wscrl routines scroll the window up n lines (line i+n becomes i); otherwise scroll the window down n lines. This involves moving the lines in the window character image structure. The current cursor position is not changed. For these functions to work, scrolling must be enabled via scrollok. RETURN VALUE
These routines return ERR upon failure, and OK (SVr4 only specifies "an integer value other than ERR") upon successful completion. X/Open defines no error conditions. This implementation returns an error if the window pointer is null, or if scrolling is not enabled in the window, e.g., with scrollok. NOTES
Note that scrl and scroll may be macros. The SVr4 documentation says that the optimization of physically scrolling immediately if the scroll region is the entire screen "is" per- formed, not "may be" performed. This implementation deliberately does not guarantee that this will occur, to leave open the possibility of smarter optimization of multiple scroll actions on the next update. Neither the SVr4 nor the XSI documentation specify whether the current attribute or current color-pair of blanks generated by the scroll function is zeroed. Under this implementation it is. PORTABILITY
The XSI Curses standard, Issue 4 describes these functions. SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), outopts(3NCURSES) scroll(3NCURSES)