Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Chown problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Chown problem Post 58777 by tonydsam on Thursday 2nd of December 2004 05:18:30 AM
Old 12-02-2004
Network Chown problem

I am trying to change ownership of a file that I own by using the following command:

chown norfoklm norfolk

norfoklm is the user I am trying to change it to and norfolk is the name of the directory

The error I keep getting is:

chown: norfolk: Not owner

This is on a SUN unix box if that makes any difference.

HELP!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown and NIS

I have a box that people are using to ssh to our customer sites. Everyone uses an NIS account that I have created for them. I also create home directories for these users as well on this box. My question is can use a command, like chown, to change ownership of the directories I create to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jody
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown and permissions

how i could give to user permission(delete,execute and so on) and ownership to files? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ithost
1 Replies

3. AIX

chown

hello chown not change ownership before: 205:system ~kuku chown kuku:system ~kuku after no change 205:system ~kuku aix box can someone help me? ariec (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariec
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Chgrp and Chown ???

Hi Can anybody please let me know the usage of Chgrp command with an example??? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reg chown

hi i wrote a script to run 'C' executable which will create a new file, after that util is completed, i have to change the file ownership to some other user. for that i used "chown" for changing the file permission in Korn script :confused:but it is throwing error is "operation... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilayans
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown

is there a difference in chown on a file or a directory? how do i chown a directory and all the contents? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp, chown, untar

hello i want shell script. i have a source.txt /home/user409/public_html/test/ /home/user09876/public_html/xdsss/ /home/user9765/public_html/320xxx/ . . . maybe 1000 lines i want . 1.read a source.txt 2.untar special.tar.gz into these directory in source.txt 3.i want to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: topic32428285
14 Replies

8. Solaris

NFS Share - chown problem

Hi all, I had share the server Gemini /u10 to the server Centaurus. /etc/dfs/dfstab share -F nfs -o root=centaurus /u10 My problem is: in the server Gemini the the owner for /U10 is oracle:dba but when in the server Centaurus, I am not able to change the owner become oracle:dba, it show... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
8 Replies

9. AIX

Trouble in chown

I'm a owner of directories or files why I can't deliver the ownership of them up to other users? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kang
1 Replies

10. Solaris

chown

Hello My oracledatabase creats some xmlfiles. this files has the owner hugo. now I've a script (how runs als hugo2) and this script will insert this XMLFile into the database. But that doesn't work, because the owner of the files is wrong, and hugo has not the rights to insert this files into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Street
3 Replies
CHOWN(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							  CHOWN(2)

NAME
chown, fchown -- change owner and group of a file or link SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> int chown(const char *path, uid_t owner, gid_t group); int fchown(int fd, uid_t owner, gid_t group); DESCRIPTION
The owner ID and group ID of the file (or link) named by path or referenced by fd is changed as specified by the arguments owner and group. The owner of a file may change the group to a group of which he or she is a member, but the change owner capability is restricted to the super-user. Chown() clears the set-user-id and set-group-id bits on the file to prevent accidental or mischievous creation of set-user-id and set-group- id programs. Fchown() is particularly useful when used in conjunction with the file locking primitives (see flock(2)). One of the owner or group id's may be left unchanged by specifying it as -1. RETURN VALUES
Zero is returned if the operation was successful; -1 is returned if an error occurs, with a more specific error code being placed in the global variable errno. ERRORS
Chown() will fail and the file or link will be unchanged if: [ENOTDIR] A component of the path prefix is not a directory. [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname exceeded {NAME_MAX} characters, or an entire path name exceeded {PATH_MAX} characters. [ENOENT] The named file does not exist. [EACCES] Search permission is denied for a component of the path prefix. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. [EPERM] The effective user ID is not the super-user. [EROFS] The named file resides on a read-only file system. [EFAULT] Path points outside the process's allocated address space. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. Fchown() will fail if: [EBADF] fd does not refer to a valid descriptor. [EINVAL] fd refers to a socket, not a file. [EPERM] The effective user ID is not the super-user. [EROFS] The named file resides on a read-only file system. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. SEE ALSO
chown(8), chgrp(1), chmod(2), flock(2) STANDARDS
The chown() function is expected to conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-1988 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The fchown() function call appeared in 4.2BSD. The chown() and fchown() functions were changed to follow symbolic links in 4.4BSD. BSD
January 25, 1997 BSD