Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Swap Partition Space
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Swap Partition Space Post 5874 by 98_1LE on Friday 24th of August 2001 10:00:07 PM
Old 08-24-2001
swap should generally be 2X the amount of physical RAM, so 1 GB in your case. I don't know about BSD, but Solaris will not hardly swap at all unless it has 2X, even when it needs to for better performance. I would check the hardware compability list, but I would guess that BSD would run great on the hardware you describe.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Swap Partition

How big do I set the swap partition when i'm setting up my hard drive to install RedHat. (Using Partition Magic) thanks! primal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux/Windows Fat32 Swap partition.

I run a dual boot WinXP/Red Hat 8 system on my laptop. Since my hard drive is inherently small(laptop) I am trying to creat a swap partition for keeping mutually used files such as music/video etc... I have created a 2.5GB Fat32 partition with Partition Magic Pro and have windows recognizing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djtrippin
2 Replies

3. AIX

swap space / paging space

how do you get the paging space reduced without rebooting the machine ? the os is aix (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronh
2 Replies

4. Linux

swap partition?

What does a swap partition do exactly? I was messing arround with a linux machine at my school and i deleted the swap partition using fdisk and then rebooted the machine and it worked fine and wrote a swap partition back in...lol. Is it a nessary part of the OS to use that partition? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
7 Replies

5. Linux

How to give UUID to a swap partition?

Dear Folks Is there anyway to give a UUID to a swap partition? mkswap on CentOS 5 (util-linux-2.13-0.45.el5_1.1) appears to override this option ;-( # swapoff -a # mkswap -L swap1 /dev/sda3 Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 4293591 kB LABEL=swap1, no uuid And there's no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santi
3 Replies

6. Solaris

swap partition showing mounted in df -h

Dear All Anyone can help me what is the problem of swap partition? swap partition is showing mounted in df -h command output. Regards prakash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pshelke
1 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partition 1 swap not mounting ?

Hi, running mount, I get the following, no part1 swap as part1 swap has been created and is listed below. System works fine anyway. As I cannot unmount part1, what is a standard procedure to make part1 on. Jack ============= .. $ free total used free shared buffers cached Mem:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size of swap partition during installation

Greetings. I've been into computers since the '80s, but this is my first attempt at Linux. I'm installing Debian Lenny on a PIII 733 with 10GB hard drive and 512MB Ram. I intend to use the machine primarily as a development server, with things like mySQL, Apache, php, etc. I don't really want... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: fguy
22 Replies

9. HP-UX

Could I mount a swap/dump partition on /tmp?

Hey Guys. Let show our disk-mapping structure on HP-UX B11.11 with df : # df /home (/dev/vg00/lvol5 ): 18979652 blocks 1224395 i /opt (/dev/vg00/lvol4 ): 120276192 blocks 1894100 i /var (/dev/vg00/lvol6 ): 19380328 blocks ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aggadtech08
3 Replies

10. Linux

How to reclaim the space which i used to increse the swap space on Xen,

Hi, i have done a blunder here, i increased the swap space on Xen5.6 server machine using below steps :- 1056 dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/myswapfile bs=1M count=1024 1057 ls -l /root/myswapfile 1058 chmod 600 /root/myswapfile 1059 mkswap /root/myswapfile 1060 swapon /root/myswapfile ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apm
1 Replies
PARTED(8)							 GNU Parted Manual							 PARTED(8)

NAME
GNU Parted - a partition manipulation program SYNOPSIS
parted [options] [device [command [options...]...]] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the parted command. Complete documentation is distributed with the package in GNU Info format; see below. parted is a disk partitioning and partition resizing program. It allows you to create, destroy, resize, move and copy ext2, ext3, linux- swap, FAT and FAT32 partitions. This is useful for creating space for new operating systems, reorganising disk usage, and copying data to new hard disks. OPTIONS
-h, --help displays a help message. -i, --interactive where necessary, prompts for user intervention. -s, --script never prompts for user intervention. -v, --version displays the version. COMMANDS
[device] The block device to partition. [command [options]] Specifies a command to parted. If no command is given, parted will give you a command prompt. Commands are: check partition does a simple check on partition. cp [source-device] source dest copies the source partition's filesystem on source-device (or the current device if no other device was specified) to the dest partition on the current device. help [command] prints general help, or help on command if specified. mkfs partition fs-type make a filesystem fs-type on partition. fs-type can be one of "FAT", "ext2" or "linux-swap". mklabel label-type Creates a new disklabel (partition table) of label-type. label-type should be one of "bsd", "gpt", "loop", "mac", "mips", "msdos", "pc98" or "sun". mkpart part-type [fs-type] start end make a part-type partition with filesystem fs-type (if specified), beginning at start and ending at end (in megabytes). part-type should be one of "primary", "logical" or "extended" mkpartfs part-type fs-type start end make a part-type partition with filesystem fs-type beginning at start and ending at end (in megabytes) move partition start end move partition to start at start and end at end. Note: move never changes the minor number name partition name set the name of partition to name. This option works only on Mac and PC98 disklabels. The name can be placed in quotes, if necessary print displays the partition table quit exits parted resize partition start end resize the filesystem on partition to start at start and end at end megabytes rm partition deletes partition select device choose device as the current device to edit. device should usually be a Linux hard disk device, but it can be a partition, software raid device or a LVM logical volume if that is necessary set partition flag state change the state of the flag on partition to state. Flags supported are: "boot", "root", "swap", "hidden", "raid", "lvm" and "lba". state should be either "on" or "off" REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-parted@gnu.org> SEE ALSO
fdisk(8), mkfs(8), The parted program is documented fully in the GNU partitioning software manual available via the Info system. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Timshel Knoll <timshel@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). parted 18 Mar, 2002 PARTED(8)