Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Encrypting password
Operating Systems AIX Encrypting password Post 58479 by Perderabo on Monday 22nd of November 2004 04:50:15 PM
Old 11-22-2004
Be running not as root or the user in question. Do not prompt for the password. Instead create a test filename that does not exist.
testfilename=/tmp/testfood$$

Now invoke su to create that file:

su $user -c "touch /tmp/testfood$$"

Now test to see if the file exists and is owned by $user.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

encrypting Unix flatfile

Hi, I am new to unix. I have a flat file that needs to be pgp encyrpted in ASCII format and ftped in Ascii format to remote location. Can any one tell me the steps involved in the pgp encryption of the unix file. I will really appreciate if any one can help me with the pgp encryption shell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypting a password for shell script

All, I want to encrypt a database system administration password into a file or environment variable. Then, I want to decrypt the password from the file or environment variable so nobody sees the clear text password. For example, I have the database password of developement. I need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

encrypting files in ksh

I have an ascii file that I want to encrypt and save. I have seen this done before, but cannot remember how, nor can I find anything in any of my manuals or online help. Any ideas how to do this? Thanks, Henry (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hwollman53
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Encrypting a script......

Hiiiiii..... every one..... I have written a script, and i want to make that script confidential.So that, only i can see that script. I am using " crypt " command in solaris 9, to encrypt that script.But when i am executing this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashantshukla
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypting the login password on Solaris 10

Hi, Could you pls. help me in encryting a database password on Solaris 10 Box. eg : username : test password : t est123 The request is to encrypt the test123 so that no one can understand the what the password is ? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krackjack
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypting the password

Iam using the teradata... and running the scripts in unix, I wan to encrypt the teradata password in Unix... my hostname is : bprod usename: KRN777 passwrd: passwrd can ant one tell me the exact command to encrypth the passwrd.... thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani1984
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypting password

Hello All, I need to accept a password from the user and validate it, without having to hard-code it anywhere. Any ideas? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: optimus_1
3 Replies

8. Programming

Encrypting/Decrypting passwords

I know that simply encrypting and decrypting passwords in a script is as bad as storing them in plain text, but I've been searching for an answer to this for a few days now, and haven't found an answer that fits the problem I'm having. Here's the scenario. I'll give more details than I think may... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdrisser
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Encrypting or maksing password in cron

Hello experts, I am an PLM application admin, use AIX/SOlaris servers where application is installed to schedule a cron in my system this what i do Login to AIX/Unix system using an OS account, Schedule a service to execute the required script - The script will have a PLM utility and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraghum
4 Replies

10. High Performance Computing

Encrypting interconnect

Hi, i've got a qusetion regarding interconnect of compute nodes. In our company we are running a Simulation Cluster which is administrated by the Simulation department. Now our central IT requires to encrypt the interconnect of the compute nodes. Does anybody in that business encrypt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fiberkill
3 Replies
lockfile-progs(1)						 Lockfile programs						 lockfile-progs(1)

NAME
lockfile-progs - command-line programs to safely lock and unlock files and mailboxes (via liblockfile). SYNOPSIS
mail-lock [--use-pid] [--retry retry-count] mail-unlock mail-touchlock [--oneshot] lockfile-create [--use-pid] [--retry retry-count] [--lock-name] filename lockfile-remove [--lock-name] filename lockfile-touch [--oneshot] [--lock-name] filename lockfile-check [--use-pid] [--lock-name] filename DESCRIPTION
Lockfile-progs provides a set a programs that can be used to lock and unlock mailboxes and files safely (via liblockfile): mail-lock - lock the current user's mailbox mail-unlock - unlock the current user's mailbox mail-touchlock - touch the lock on the current user's mailbox lockfile-create - lock a given file lockfile-remove - remove the lock on a given file lockfile-touch - touch the lock on a given file lockfile-check - check the lock on a given file By default, the filename argument refers to the name of the file to be locked, and the name of the lockfile will be filename .lock. How- ever, if the --lock-name argument is specified, then filename will be taken as the name of the lockfile itself. Each of the mail locking commands attempts to lock /var/spool/mail/<user>, where <user> is the name associated with the effective user ID, as determined by via geteuid(2). Once a file is locked, the lock must be touched at least once every five minutes or the lock will be considered stale, and subsequent lock attempts will succeed. Also see the --use-pid option and the lockfile_create(3) manpage. The lockfile-check command tests whether or not a valid lock already exists. OPTIONS
-q, --quiet Suppress any output. Success or failure will only be indicated by the exit status. -v, --verbose Enable diagnostic output. -l, --lock-name Do not append .lock to the filename. This option applies to lockfile-create, lockfile-remove, lockfile-touch, or lockfile-check. -p, --use-pid Write the current process id (PID) to the lockfile whenever a lockfile is created, and use that pid when checking a lock's validity. See the lockfile_create(3) manpage for more information. This option applies to lockfile-create, lockfile-remove, lockfile-touch, and lockfile-check. -o, --oneshot Touch the lock and exit immediately. This option applies to lockfile-touch and mail-touchlock. When not provided, these commands will run forever, touching the lock once every minute until killed. -r retry-count, --retry retry-count Try to lock filename retry-count times before giving up. Each attempt will be delayed a bit longer than the last (in 5 second incre- ments) until reaching a maximum delay of one minute between retries. If retry-count is unspecified, the default is 9 which will give up after 180 seconds (3 minutes) if all 9 lock attempts fail. EXAMPLES
Locking a file during a lengthy process: lockfile-create /some/file lockfile-touch /some/file & # Save the PID of the lockfile-touch process BADGER="$!" do-something-important-with /some/file kill "${BADGER}" lockfile-remove /some/file EXIT STATUS
0 For lockfile-check this indicates that a valid lock exists, otherwise it just indicates successful program execution. Not 0 For lockfile-check a non-zero exit status indicates that the specified lock does not exist or is not valid. For other programs it indicates that some problem was encountered. SEE ALSO
maillock(3) touchlock(3) mailunlock(3) lockfile_create(3) lockfile_remove(3) lockfile_touch(3) lockfile_check(3) AUTHOR
Written by Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> 0.1.12 2008-02-10 lockfile-progs(1)