Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: message
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers message Post 58469 by Perderabo on Monday 22nd of November 2004 12:15:11 PM
Old 11-22-2004
I see some stuff on Sunsolve for this error on Solaris 8, but I don't find anything for Solaris 9. One of the possible solutions offered for 8 looks like it might work on 9. No guarantees here, but you might give it a try.

Manually edit /etc/name_to_major and add a line at the end. The line will be:
mpt nnn
where nnn is the next number. So if the last line currently is:
atapicd 135
you would add
mpt 136

After the change, you must reboot.

The other procedure involves removing patches, making server edits to other files in /etc and then re-installing the patches. It is quite involved and the specific patches would not be known since you're using Solaris 9.

If you have Sun support, I would call them on this one. If not, I would try the above procedure. If you try it, please post again to let us know how it worked.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Welcome Message

I have a regular user account in one of the solaris machines. I have been trying to display a message when I log on by modifying my .profile file e.g. +-------------+ .profile +--------------+ echo "Welcome <user>" echo "Today is: "`date` etc. etc. The message keeps on popping... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
0 Replies

2. Programming

Message queues

Hi all, I've been trying for hours to figure out how to turn my 2-program (one to send and one to receive) "chat system" using message queues, into a single program where each concurrent component (entity) will both send and receive messages. PLEASE give me a hand with this, I'm starting to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgchato
9 Replies

3. Solaris

scp message

Hi, I will copy a file with /usr/bin/scp -v /tmp/gaga venus:/tmp The result is: PVER1 GERR00Unkonw switch supplied Wath's the matter Thank's a lot Urs (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuellerUrs
2 Replies

4. Programming

How to limit max no of message in a posix message queue

Hii can anyone pls tell how to limit the max no of message in a posix message queue. I have made changes in proc/sys/fs/mqueue/msg_max But still whenever i try to read the value of max. message in the queue using attr.mq_curmsgs (where struct mq_attr attr) its giving the default value as 10.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit3884
0 Replies

5. Solaris

What is this message!?

While logged on to a box, I got the message: Broadcast Message from oracle (pts/4) on hostname.xx-xxxx.xxx Thu Mar 19 19:00:38... root: Will system be available for use tonight? n -----> this was my response ksh: n: not found Where does this originate from? Did somebody send it to my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FeNiCrC_Neil
6 Replies

6. Programming

message and method

Differentiate between the message and method. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinglow
2 Replies

7. Programming

Help with message class

May I know how to create message class in order to store input data from the command line, so that the output will come from this class? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eel
4 Replies

8. Programming

[XQuery] How to Convert from JSON Message to XML Message with XQuery

Hi guys, I'm in a job of converting a restful webservice to soap. Tool for convertation uses XQuery. Now i need to convert a message like this: { "firstName": "John", "midName": null, "lastName": "Smith", "married": false, "address": { "streetAddress": "21 2nd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tien86
5 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Ssmtp -t < /path/to/the/message.txt (How to format message.txt for html email)

ssmtp has been running well under Kubuntu 12.04.1 for plain text messages. I would like to send html messages with ssmtp -t < /path/to/the/message.txt, but I cannot seem to get the message.txt file properly formatted. I have tried various charsets, Content-Transfer-Encoding, rearranging the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ronald B
0 Replies

10. SuSE

Du -sh in / message

I have cloned a zLinux server and whenever I issue the command 'du -sh' on the / it always gives the below message: du: cannot access `./proc/3721/task/3721/fd/4': No such file or directory du: cannot access `./proc/3721/task/3721/fdinfo/4': No such file or directory du: cannot access... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: schizoprenics
5 Replies
lsdev(1M)																 lsdev(1M)

NAME
lsdev - list device drivers in the system SYNOPSIS
driver | class] block_major] char_major] major] [major ...] DESCRIPTION
The command lists, one pair per line, the major device numbers and driver names of device drivers configured into the system and available for invocation via special files. A in either the block or character column means that a major number does not exist for that type. If no arguments are specified, lists all drivers configured into the system. If the option is specified, will not print a heading. This option may be useful when the output of will be used by another program. The and options are used to select specific device drivers for output. If more than one option is specified, all drivers that match the criteria specified by those options will be listed. These search options are divided into two types: name search keys (the and options) and major number search keys (the and options). If both types of options are present, only entries that match both types are printed. The same type of option may appear more than once on the command line with each occurrence providing an ORing effect of that search type. The and options may not be specified at the same time. The ability to process major arguments is provided for compatibility and functions like the option. Options List device drivers that match class. List device drivers with the name driver. List device drivers with a block major number of block_major. List device drivers with a character major number of char_major. List device drivers with either a character major number or block major equal to major. DIAGNOSTICS
The and options may not be specified at the same time. A major number is malformed or out of range. EXAMPLES
To output entries for all drivers in the class: To output entries that are in the class that have either a block or character major number of To get the character major number of into a shell environment variable: WARNINGS
Some device drivers available from the system may be intended for use by other drivers. Attempting to use them directly from a special file may produce unexpected results. A driver may be listed even when the hardware requiring the driver is not present. Attempts to access a driver without the corresponding hardware will fail. only lists drivers that are configured into the currently executing kernel. For a complete list of available drivers, please run (see sam(1M). DEPENDENCIES
Since relies on the device driver information provided in a routine, may not list drivers installed by other means. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
sam(1M). Section 7 entries related to specific device drivers. lsdev(1M)