Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sockets question again
Top Forums Programming sockets question again Post 58397 by jalburger on Friday 19th of November 2004 02:27:44 PM
Old 11-19-2004
sockets question again

I apologize if this seems like a repeat post, but I never got a clear answer (this isn't a criticism, it's possible I'm not being clear enough)....I'm attempting to enlarge the socket buffers for a udg socket, but it seems that no matter how large I attempt to set the buffer with

setsockopt( )

I only am able to enlarge to a size of 262142 (according to getsockopt( ) ). What governs the amount of size you can allocate to a socket buffer, and how can I change it?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Sockets!?!?!?!?!?!

I am looking for a way to have a program listen on a port (example: 8000) for communication I will be sending via that port to it(Linux Kernel machine). Once it recieves an appropiate command I need it to run a .bat file in linux. I know what I need to do but I am running into a few problems:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigB8210
8 Replies

2. Programming

sockets question

I'm new to sockets programming and I have a few questions: Is the a maximum limit that you can use for the send and receive buffers via a call to setsockopt()? Does it differ on different OSs? If it does, how do I find out the max limit? What is the advantage to setting the buffers to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jalburger
1 Replies

3. Programming

sockets

Hai, How cani declare socket and collect the data in a string varialbe. Since i am new to this i am asking this. Can we connect multiple port. Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Sockets in use

Is there a way to see what sockets are in use? The developers here are getting some defunct processes and they would like to get a socket list. This is on a Solaris 8 machine. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
1 Replies

5. Programming

need help with sockets

anyone and teach me how to save standard output to a file in a client/server socket. I know how to read them to the screen but i'm not quite sure how to save them to a file. my read to screen file code: memset(line, 0x0, LINE_ARRAY_SIZE); while (recv(connectSocket, line, MAX_MSG, 0) >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crunchyuser
1 Replies

6. Programming

Sockets select() question

Hello everyone. I have a question regarding select() function. Imagine i had passed a fd_set* as the readfds parameter. Can i add some fd to the fd_set, using FD_SET, while the thread is blocked in the select call(obviously from another thread), and will that select call monitor those fd, even if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adadon
2 Replies

7. Programming

Help with sockets in C

if i have a server which wants to connect to exactly 5 clients, does that mean i need 5 socket file descriptors and use listen(socket_fd,1); for each one or just do listen(socket_fd,5) also whats the second parameter number mean? what happens if i put 0 there? also if i am connected... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
28 Replies

8. Red Hat

Sockets

hai guys, I'm doing a project in which one server communicates with several clients. How can i do it when i have different port numbers???:confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshb6
0 Replies

9. IP Networking

Basic question about sockets

Hi - I've written an app that, among other things, accepts a telnet connection (made via the "telnet" command from a terminal) and converses with it. I'd like to make this work so that only one client at a time can connect. Currently, when a second user tries to connect, the incoming messages... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mzimmers
2 Replies

10. Programming

Any example about sockets in C++?

Hi, i am student, think learning about c++, someone has a example the how establish a conection with sockets :b::b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmartinez
1 Replies
GETSOCKOPT(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						     GETSOCKOPT(2)

NAME
getsockopt, setsockopt - get and set options on sockets SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> /* See NOTES */ #include <sys/socket.h> int getsockopt(int sockfd, int level, int optname, void *optval, socklen_t *optlen); int setsockopt(int sockfd, int level, int optname, const void *optval, socklen_t optlen); DESCRIPTION
getsockopt() and setsockopt() manipulate options for the socket referred to by the file descriptor sockfd. Options may exist at multiple protocol levels; they are always present at the uppermost socket level. When manipulating socket options, the level at which the option resides and the name of the option must be specified. To manipulate options at the sockets API level, level is specified as SOL_SOCKET. To manipulate options at any other level the protocol number of the appropriate protocol controlling the option is supplied. For example, to indicate that an option is to be interpreted by the TCP protocol, level should be set to the protocol number of TCP; see getprotoent(3). The arguments optval and optlen are used to access option values for setsockopt(). For getsockopt() they identify a buffer in which the value for the requested option(s) are to be returned. For getsockopt(), optlen is a value-result argument, initially containing the size of the buffer pointed to by optval, and modified on return to indicate the actual size of the value returned. If no option value is to be supplied or returned, optval may be NULL. Optname and any specified options are passed uninterpreted to the appropriate protocol module for interpretation. The include file <sys/socket.h> contains definitions for socket level options, described below. Options at other protocol levels vary in format and name; consult the appropriate entries in section 4 of the manual. Most socket-level options utilize an int argument for optval. For setsockopt(), the argument should be nonzero to enable a boolean option, or zero if the option is to be disabled. For a description of the available socket options see socket(7) and the appropriate protocol man pages. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EBADF The argument sockfd is not a valid descriptor. EFAULT The address pointed to by optval is not in a valid part of the process address space. For getsockopt(), this error may also be returned if optlen is not in a valid part of the process address space. EINVAL optlen invalid in setsockopt(). In some cases this error can also occur for an invalid value in optval (e.g., for the IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP option described in ip(7)). ENOPROTOOPT The option is unknown at the level indicated. ENOTSOCK The argument sockfd is a file, not a socket. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.4BSD (these system calls first appeared in 4.2BSD), POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
POSIX.1-2001 does not require the inclusion of <sys/types.h>, and this header file is not required on Linux. However, some historical (BSD) implementations required this header file, and portable applications are probably wise to include it. The optlen argument of getsockopt() and setsockopt() is in reality an int [*] (and this is what 4.x BSD and libc4 and libc5 have). Some POSIX confusion resulted in the present socklen_t, also used by glibc. See also accept(2). BUGS
Several of the socket options should be handled at lower levels of the system. SEE ALSO
ioctl(2), socket(2), getprotoent(3), protocols(5), socket(7), tcp(7), unix(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-12-03 GETSOCKOPT(2)