Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep question Post 58378 by ssmiths001 on Friday 19th of November 2004 10:05:10 AM
Old 11-19-2004
Grep question

I have a large log file. I want to keep 1 week worth of records. This is what part of file looks like:

Oct 04 09:16:59 [INFORMATION] Order intfc ended normally on 10/04/2004 at 09:16.
Oct 04 09:16:59 [INFORMATION] ------------------------------------------------
Oct 04 09:16:59 [INFORMATION] TM: Program <Iordload> ended (normal, exit <0>).

WARNING: The following errors occurred running sqlldr...

SQL*Loader: Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production on Mon Oct 4 09:16:57 2004

Oct 04 09:32:04 [INFORMATION] Access code is valid.
Oct 04 09:32:04 [INFORMATION] Task master: Program <Iordload> started.
Oct 04 09:32:04 [WARNING] Ord <B394588-SFI>: cannot modify ord that does not exist. Ord will be added with <I> status.

Is there a way to truncate the records that are less than today's date - 7 days? I think it would be easier to do if each and every record began with a date, but in this file they don't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep question

what is the format for grep if I want to search from the current directory and through all its subdirectories?:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkappaz
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Question

Hello Everybody, I have files; yyyymmdd.log which the data look like this; "Txid=9426043&MsgTxt=Thankyou&UserId=john&Password=jh2501" "Txid=9426150&MsgTxt=Thankyou&UserId=john&Password=jh2501" . . . "Txid=9426200&MsgTxt=Thankyou&UserId=john&Password=jh2501" Question 1: How to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nazri76
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep question

hello people, All my servers have 4 mounts with this norme. For example, if my hostname is siroe. df -h | grep `hostname` /dev/dsk/c1t3d0s6 404G 399G 800M 100% /siroe3 /dev/dsk/c1t2d0s6 404G 399G 800M 100% /siroe2 /dev/md/dsk/d6 20G 812M 19G ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep question

Instead of using the following command #dmesg | grep -v sendmail | grep -v xntpd How can I use just one grep -v and give both arguments. Please suggest thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep question

Hello, Is there a way in grep to remember patterns? For eg: int a,b,c,d,a; If a variable is declared twice, like in the previous example, I should be able to print only those lines. Is there a way to print only the lines where the variable name occurs more than once, using grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep question please

i have files with "DOMAINSOLVER ACMS" with any number of spaces in between the two words on its own line and i can find it with the following: grep -c "DOMAINSOLVER* ACMS" $FILENAMEbut i need to exclude any lines matching: "$DOMAINSOLVER". i've tried a variety of quoting and escaping with no luck.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about grep

can anyone tell me what the \/$ means? from grep \/$ (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about grep

is there anyway i can ask grep to only get the first line? as in the top command line line 1 <-- just grep this line line 2 line 3 ---------- Post updated at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:19 PM ---------- nvm.. found out that i can do it with |head (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on grep

Hello all, I'm trying to grep the string "scott" from all files whose names are like srvr*.log and that were created "Nov 15"...I'm trying the following command but throws an error message...seems like the syntax is incorrect.. grep scott < ls -l srvr*.log|grep "Nov 15" Thanks for your... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Question

My grep returns a row of data like this: 75=20130130;60=074338;61=985;511=55473883;452=115439;62=196;267=1; Is there a way for the grep to only return 60="something" and 511="something" ? Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carl2013
10 Replies
TRIMHISTORY(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    TRIMHISTORY(8)

NAME
trimhistory - Remove old Xymon history-log entries SYNOPSIS
trimhistory --cutoff=TIME [options] DESCRIPTION
The trimhistory tool is used to purge old entries from the Xymon history logs. These logfiles accumulate information about all status changes that have occurred for any given service, host, or the entire Xymon system, and is used to generate the event- and history-log web- pages. Purging old entries can be done while Xymon is running, since the tool takes care not to commit updates to a file if it changes mid-way through the operation. In that case, the update is aborted and the existing logfile is left untouched. Optionally, this tool will also remove logfiles from hosts that are no longer defined in the Xymon bb-hosts(5) file. As an extension, even logfiles from services can be removed, if the service no longer has a valid status-report logged in the current Xymon status. OPTIONS
--cutoff=TIME This defines the cutoff-time when processing the history logs. Entries dated before this time are discarded. TIME is specified as the number of seconds since the beginning of the Epoch. This is easily generated by the GNU date(1) utility, e.g. the following com- mand will trim history logs of all entries prior to Oct. 1st 2004: trimhistory --cutoff=`date +%s --date="1 Oct 2004"` --outdir=DIRECTORY Normally, files in the BBHIST directory are replaced. This option causes trimhistory to save the shortened history logfiles to another directory, so you can verify that the operation works as intended. The output directory must exist. --drop Causes trimhistory to delete files from hosts that are not listed in the bb-hosts(5) file. --dropsvcs Causes trimhistory to delete files from services that are not currently tracked by Xymon. Normally these files would be left untouched if only the host exists. --droplogs Process the BBHISTLOGS directory also, and delete status-logs from events prior to the cut-off time. Note that this can dramatically increase the processing time, since there are often lots and lots of files to process. --progress[=N] This will cause trimhistory to output a status line for every N history logs or status-log collections it processes, to indicate how far it has progressed. The default setting for N is 100. --env=FILENAME Loads the environment from FILENAME before executing trimhistory. --debug Enable debugging output. FILES
$BBHIST/allevents The eventlog of all events that have happened in Xymon. $BBHIST/HOSTNAME The per-host eventlogs. $BBHIST/HOSTNAME.SERVICE The per-service eventlogs. $BBHISTLOGS/*/* The historical status-logs. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
BBHIST The directory holding all history logs. BBHISTLOGS The top-level directory for the historical status-log collections. BBHOSTS The location of the bb-hosts file, holding the list of currently known hosts in Xymon. SEE ALSO
xymon(7), bb-hosts(5) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 TRIMHISTORY(8)