Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Free UNIX version
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Free UNIX version Post 58156 by woofie on Sunday 14th of November 2004 11:23:57 PM
Old 11-15-2004
You can go to www.sun.com and download a version of Solaris 8 for Intel machines. They still got the link there i think. Or you could order a set of CD's from the site. About $100 (I think).

If you want UNIX and on a Intel that is the best way. I assume you mean on a Intel based PC.

Or you can purchase a second hand Sun box from places like ebay.com and some come with the OS. or purchase the software on it's own.

Or (as said before) you could use Linux. Not that much difference. Well there is, but basic's are the same.

With what I have said above I assume you want Solaris flavor of Unix.

To be able to help, we really need to know;

- What flavor of Unix?
- What platform you want to run it on?

Smilie Smilie

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free/Educational Unix for PC??

1) Which versions of unix are available free or for educational purposes for PC. I see that the solaris binaries cannot be used on PC. 2) When I installed Linux RedHat, I had to make a partition in ext3 format. Will I have to do something similar for unix? BTW, my linux red hat os will not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LANSTARR.COM
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

free vs commercial Unix

First off, I apologize for making my first post here a question that has probably been asked over a billion times... however with the ever changing nature of technology, it almost seems like yesterday's answers are no longer applicable. Basically I am looking to start up a business and am trying... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Verbose Bob
15 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free Shareware for UNix.

Hello Guys, Just started with unix. I need it to keep my job. I need a free downloadable Unix simulator to use. I already have a unix material i'm reading. Any ideas. :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iwegbue3
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Migrate unix version 8 to version 9

i have a program writing in PRO C which currently running in unix version 8 tie with oracle 8i, but in the future company gonna migrate this OS to version 9. Anything i have to prepare for my PRO C program to run in unix version 9? or anything would that impact my program couldn't run well? what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsy
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free unix software

I used to have a free software on my computer to practice unix. Unfortunately, I had to rebuild the laptop after it was infected by a virus. Now I cannot remember the website where to download the software. Can anyone point me to a site? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ernst
2 Replies
WALL(1) 							   User Commands							   WALL(1)

NAME
wall -- write a message to users SYNOPSIS
wall [-n] [-t TIMEOUT] [file] DESCRIPTION
Wall displays the contents of file or, by default, its standard input, on the terminals of all currently logged in users. The command will cut over 79 character long lines to new lines. Short lines are white space padded to have 79 characters. The command will always put carriage return and new line at the end of each line. Only the super-user can write on the terminals of users who have chosen to deny messages or are using a program which automatically denies messages. Reading from a file is refused when the invoker is not superuser and the program is suid or sgid. OPTIONS
-n, --nobanner Supress banner -t, --timeout TIMEOUT Write timeout to terminals in seconds. Argument must be positive integer. Default value is 300 seconds, which is a legacy from time when people ran terminals over modem lines. -V, --version Output version and exit. -h, --help Output help and exit. SEE ALSO
mesg(1), talk(1), write(1), shutdown(8) HISTORY
A wall command appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. AVAILABILITY
The wall command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux April 2011 util-linux