Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users scsi sda device not mounting !! Post 58087 by moxxx68 on Saturday 13th of November 2004 02:57:43 AM
Old 11-13-2004
unable to open /dev/sda ...
and if i fsck it
i get this:
/sbin/fsck /dev/sda
fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

mounting an external scsi tape drive

hi- I just installed a quad gigaswift ethernet scsi card to my sunblade 150. I checked with the docs, and got all of the required drivers on the box. Now, I'm trying to mount an external scsi tape drive with no luck. I set the scsi address on the external drive to 0. Here's what I'm coming... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting a flash device

How do you mount a USB flash drive on Sun Blade 2000 or 2500 with solaris 8? Thanks in advance ;) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xeroxtechnician
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NOTICE: Stp: SCSI tape 0 device 46/0 offline

:( If anyone has solved this problem, please help me! Thanks in advance! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: FCollet
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NOTICE: Stp: SCSI tape 0 device 46/0 not ready

If somebody solve this error please help! Thanks in advance! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: FCollet
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Notice Stp:SCSI tape 0 device 46/0 offline

My computer which uses scoUNIX, has an internal scsi tape backup. It will no longer backup . It posts this message Notice :Stp tape 0 device 46/0 offline. This has been discussed before by the forum and I'd appreciate any help that any expert could provide for me for a step wise approach to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: timothymhubbard
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Notice: STP:SCSI tape 0 device 46/0 offline

My tape drive is not backing up my data. This is the message that comes up as the computer starts up each morning. Notice Stp:SCSI tape 0 device 46/0 offline. The computer is equipped with a Seagate STD 24000N internal tape drive and the green indicator light on it continuously is on but the amber... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: timothymhubbard
0 Replies

7. Linux

mounting usb device

Hi Folks, I want to know how to mount usb device (cd,dvd etc) in linux, Regards, Manoj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Mounting a USB device with a predetermined name

When I attach a USB storage device to my Solaris server, the mount point is coming up as /rmdisk/unnamed_rmdisk Is there anyway I can have this device come up as a mounted device with a predetermined mount name eg /morespace rather than unnamed_rmdisk ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
0 Replies

9. Ubuntu

device size mismatch after mounting

Hi, I have a created a logical partition sda5 in ubuntu server 9.0.4. which is Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Disk identifier: 0x00053d78 Device Boot Start End ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rac_oradba
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Legacy Ultra60 with Solaris 5.7 SCSI device reverse engineering

I'm looking for help with a legacy system. I have some obsolete equipment connected to an Ultra 60 running Solaris 5.7 with the binary for a 32 bit driver. The driver is rejected by newer versions of solaris, which run 64 bit kernels. I hope to reverse engineer the driver so that I can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: obsoleteStuff
0 Replies
FSCK.MINIX(8)						       System Administration						     FSCK.MINIX(8)

NAME
fsck.minix - check consistency of Minix filesystem SYNOPSIS
fsck.minix [options] device DESCRIPTION
fsck.minix performs a consistency check for the Linux MINIX filesystem. The program assumes the filesystem is quiescent. fsck.minix should not be used on a mounted device unless you can be sure nobody is writ- ing to it. Remember that the kernel can write to device when it searches for files. The device name will usually have the following form: /dev/hda[1-63] IDE disk 1 /dev/hdb[1-63] IDE disk 2 /dev/sda[1-15] SCSI disk 1 /dev/sdb[1-15] SCSI disk 2 If the filesystem was changed, i.e., repaired, then fsck.minix will print "FILE SYSTEM HAS CHANGED" and will sync(2) three times before exiting. There is no need to reboot after check. WARNING
fsck.minix should not be used on a mounted filesystem. Using fsck.minix on a mounted filesystem is very dangerous, due to the possibility that deleted files are still in use, and can seriously damage a perfectly good filesystem! If you absolutely have to run fsck.minix on a mounted filesystem, such as the root filesystem, make sure nothing is writing to the disk, and that no files are "zombies" waiting for deletion. OPTIONS
-l, --list List all filenames. -r, --repair Perform interactive repairs. -a, --auto Perform automatic repairs. This option implies --repair and serves to answer all of the questions asked with the default. Note that this can be extremely dangerous in the case of extensive filesystem damage. -v, --verbose Be verbose. -s, --super Output super-block information. -m, --uncleared Activate MINIX-like "mode not cleared" warnings. -f, --force Force a filesystem check even if the filesystem was marked as valid. Marking is done by the kernel when the filesystem is unmounted. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. DIAGNOSTICS
There are numerous diagnostic messages. The ones mentioned here are the most commonly seen in normal usage. If the device does not exist, fsck.minix will print "unable to read super block". If the device exists, but is not a MINIX filesystem, fsck.minix will print "bad magic number in super-block". EXIT CODES
The exit code returned by fsck.minix is the sum of the following: 0 No errors 3 Filesystem errors corrected, system should be rebooted if filesystem was mounted 4 Filesystem errors left uncorrected 7 Combination of exit codes 3 and 4 8 Operational error 16 Usage or syntax error AUTHORS
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi> Error code values by Rik Faith <faith@cs.unc.edu> Added support for filesystem valid flag: Dr. Wettstein <greg%wind.uucp@plains.nodak.edu>. Check to prevent fsck of mounted filesystem added by Daniel Quinlan <quinlan@yggdrasil.com>. Minix v2 fs support by Andreas Schwab <schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de>, updated by Nicolai Langfeldt <janl@math.uio.no>. Portability patch by Russell King <rmk@ecs.soton.ac.uk>. SEE ALSO
fsck(8), fsck.ext2(8), mkfs(8), mkfs.ext2(8), mkfs.minix(8), reboot(8) AVAILABILITY
The fsck.minix command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2015 FSCK.MINIX(8)