Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Commenting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Commenting Post 58074 by rhfrommn on Friday 12th of November 2004 06:00:06 PM
Old 11-12-2004
Other than putting your # or ; at the beginning of each line I'm not sure it can be done.

One thought I had is what happens if you use the \ line continuation character. Like this . . .

#my comment starts here \
but is this still considered a comment? \
I'm not sure.

Give that a try in a harmless test script to find out, but it might work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

commenting more then 1 line

Hi all, I m new for linux ... but now i will do this continuously. So my question is how to comment more then 1 line i dont wanna put # to each line.. my script is too big... or u can tell me that how can i add # to sellected lines means if i wanna put # from line number 10 to 20 then how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayyadavmca
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Commenting lines

How to comment a set of lines in a script? we use # to comment a single line , is there ant other cmd to comment a block? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rolex.mp
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commenting a Line In a File

HI all I am working on a script, few details are as follows. I have one properties File and one script. The property file contains the JOBID which are to be executed and the Script runs these jobs ONE by ONE. After completing the JOB I need to comment that job in the property File. This is the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prashantckc
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

commenting

can we use "---------" for commenting......... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simmijaswal
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commenting xml file lines

Hi , I have a XML file like this <dependency> <groupId>fr.xxxx.portail.ear</groupId> <artifactId>_xxxEAR</artifactId> <version>1.0.0-20xxxxx.xxxxx-x</version> <type>ear</type> </dependency> I need to comment single/multiple lines from XML file. How can i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpio
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commenting contab from a script

Dear All, I have many cron entries and want to comment a particular cron entry from a script. Ex- Suppose I have the below cron entries: # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall. #Cron entries for Jboss server 1 0 23 * * * /usr/bin/echo 0 23 * * * /usr/bin/asdg_count.sh 0 23 *... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: avishek007
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commenting lines

Hi can any body pls help me : I have a file Which Content is like following: p3:s1234:powerfail:/usr/sbin/shutdown -y -i5 -g0 >/dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog ca:3:respawn:/opt/GoldWing/currentPM/local/critagt > /dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog ca:3:respawn:/opt/GoldWing/currentPM/local/startcia.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commenting lines in a file using SED

Hi, I need to comment the below lines in a file using sed.These are the few lines of the jsp file that need to be commented. if(top.location != location){ top.location.href = location.href; } Using the below command two lines can be commented: if(top.location != location){ ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetu
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

commenting out lines between two delimiters

Hi All, I am struggling to get my head around the following issue. I am having to comment out lines between two delimiters by placing an asterix in position 7 but retain all lines in the file and in the same order. so for example a file containing: ... ... DELIM1 ... ... DELIM2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruble
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Commenting multiple lines

Hi, Can anyone let me know how to comment multiple lines in VI editor? Many thanks. Regards, Venkat. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
3 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)