Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem with comp built for Linux.. Post 57973 by Tony Empire on Thursday 11th of November 2004 06:23:59 AM
Old 11-11-2004
Problem with comp built for Linux..

I built a PC I intended on using to run Linux. It was using a AMD XP 2000 processor, had a 80 gig hard drive, and 256 mb of ram. I got it all connected and working and installed OpenLinux (from book "Learn Linux in 24 hours" that came with a instillation CD). My intent was to take about a month or so to learn the basics by following this book, then to later install Red Hat. So I installed this version of Linux and everything worked fine until the end where it was suppose to restart, but instead I got an error something like "Int... something." I forget exact error. So I turned off an on the computer. I could hear it restart, but this time the monitor would not come on. The monitor still works on my other computer (I have a KVM switch), but not on this. I tried the video card in another computer and it works. I tried reformatting the hard drive (by putting it into another computer and reformatting) then putting it back into the computer I built - same problem. Monitor wont turn on. What else could be the problem?

Last edited by Tony Empire; 11-14-2004 at 03:48 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

comp hardware comparing

www.insaen.nl (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk8parkinsaen
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

COMP-3 File transmission

Guys, i need to transfer a file which contains both display and comp-3 fields from unix to mainframe. Cyberfusion , FTP doesn't work since they treat display and comp-3 fields same. Any Solution in this regard will be appreciated. Thanks, Sharif.S (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharifhere
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comp-3 conversion possible with Shell Scripting or PERL?

I guess the subject asks it all, but I am wondering (before I go and code a COBOL module) if conversion of regular ASCII data to COMP-3 is possible on a UNIX environment (AIX 5.1)? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Dave (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfran1972
13 Replies

4. HP-UX

Built for hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00..problem with make

make --version in parent server ( server in france) gives me the below information GNU Make version 3.78.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath. Built for hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00 Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanthan
0 Replies

5. Linux

How to convert Linux Kernel built-in module into a loadable module

Hi all, I am working on USB data monitoring on Fedora Core 9. Kernel 2.6.25 has a built-in module (the one that isn't loadable, but compiles and links statically with the kernel during compilation) to snoop USB data. It is in <kernel_source_code>/drivers/usb/mon/. I need to know if I can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anitemp
0 Replies

6. AIX

Problem in ftpying the datasets containing comp values to AIX from mainframe

Hi, When i am trying to ftp COBOL generated data sets which contain comp values to AIX in ASCII mode. the comp values are getting corrupted. If i ftp the data set in binary mode it is working properly, but for this i have to change some compiler options in the COBOL. Also if i want to use the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekhar gajjala
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash built-in

Is there any command or VARIABLE in unix to display only bash builtin commands?. Some days back I worked on that, but now I do not remember. Can anyone please reply for this?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
4 Replies

8. Hardware

Desktop System with no built in video card on linux

hi I would like to ask some of the expert advice on my propose project. I going to assemble a high end desktop system before i quit my job. I had a laptop with linux and win7 pro for just incase bored and need some spare time gaming with nice graphics. My plan is to assemble a i7 processor model... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
4 Replies

9. Hardware

mobo with built-in ssd and linux

hi, thinking of building a system around this mobo: GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD. this has an ssd built-in to the mobo that serves as a cache for the sata drives. does linux have a chance of working on this? or is it going to get confused. thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rtayek
6 Replies
LINUX(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						  LINUX(4)

NAME
linux -- Linux ABI support SYNOPSIS
To compile support for this ABI into an i386 kernel place the following line in your kernel configuration file: options COMPAT_LINUX for an amd64 kernel use: options COMPAT_LINUX32 Alternatively, to load the ABI as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): linux_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The linux module provides limited Linux ABI (application binary interface) compatibility for userland applications. The module provides the following significant facilities: o An image activator for correctly branded elf(5) executable images o Special signal handling for activated images o Linux to native system call translation It is important to note that the Linux ABI support it not provided through an emulator. Rather, a true (albeit limited) ABI implementation is provided. The following sysctl(8) tunable variables are available: compat.linux.osname Linux kernel operating system name. compat.linux.osrelease Linux kernel operating system release. Changing this to something else is discouraged on non-development systems, because it may change the way Linux programs work. Recent versions of GNU libc are known to use different syscalls depending on the value of this sysctl. compat.linux.oss_version Linux Open Sound System version. The linux module can be linked into the kernel statically with the COMPAT_LINUX kernel configuration option or loaded as required. The fol- lowing command will load the module if it is neither linked into the kernel nor already loaded as a module: if ! kldstat -v | grep -E 'linux(aout|elf)' > /dev/null; then kldload linux > /dev/null 2>&1 fi Note that dynamically linked Linux executables will require a suitable environment in /compat/linux. Specifically, the Linux run-time linker's hints files should be correctly initialized. For this reason, it is common to execute the following commands to prepare the system to correctly run Linux executables: if [ -x /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig ]; then /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig -r /compat/linux fi For information on loading the linux kernel loadable module automatically on system startup, see rc.conf(5). This information applies regardless of whether the linux module is statically linked into the kernel or loaded as a module. FILES
/compat/linux minimal Linux run-time environment /compat/linux/proc limited Linux process file system /compat/linux/sys limited Linux system file system SEE ALSO
brandelf(1), elf(5), linprocfs(5), linsysfs(5) HISTORY
Linux ABI support first appeared in FreeBSD 2.1. BSD
February 8, 2010 BSD