Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sockets question
Top Forums Programming sockets question Post 57467 by jalburger on Thursday 28th of October 2004 04:33:38 PM
Old 10-28-2004
sockets question

I'm new to sockets programming and I have a few questions:

Is the a maximum limit that you can use for the send and receive buffers via a call to setsockopt()? Does it differ on different OSs? If it does, how do I find out the max limit?

What is the advantage to setting the buffers to be larger? Is there any disadvantages?

Thanks in advance!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Sockets!?!?!?!?!?!

I am looking for a way to have a program listen on a port (example: 8000) for communication I will be sending via that port to it(Linux Kernel machine). Once it recieves an appropiate command I need it to run a .bat file in linux. I know what I need to do but I am running into a few problems:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigB8210
8 Replies

2. Programming

sockets question again

I apologize if this seems like a repeat post, but I never got a clear answer (this isn't a criticism, it's possible I'm not being clear enough)....I'm attempting to enlarge the socket buffers for a udg socket, but it seems that no matter how large I attempt to set the buffer with setsockopt( ) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
3 Replies

3. Programming

sockets

Hai, How cani declare socket and collect the data in a string varialbe. Since i am new to this i am asking this. Can we connect multiple port. Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Sockets in use

Is there a way to see what sockets are in use? The developers here are getting some defunct processes and they would like to get a socket list. This is on a Solaris 8 machine. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
1 Replies

5. Programming

need help with sockets

anyone and teach me how to save standard output to a file in a client/server socket. I know how to read them to the screen but i'm not quite sure how to save them to a file. my read to screen file code: memset(line, 0x0, LINE_ARRAY_SIZE); while (recv(connectSocket, line, MAX_MSG, 0) >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crunchyuser
1 Replies

6. Programming

Sockets select() question

Hello everyone. I have a question regarding select() function. Imagine i had passed a fd_set* as the readfds parameter. Can i add some fd to the fd_set, using FD_SET, while the thread is blocked in the select call(obviously from another thread), and will that select call monitor those fd, even if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adadon
2 Replies

7. Programming

Help with sockets in C

if i have a server which wants to connect to exactly 5 clients, does that mean i need 5 socket file descriptors and use listen(socket_fd,1); for each one or just do listen(socket_fd,5) also whats the second parameter number mean? what happens if i put 0 there? also if i am connected... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
28 Replies

8. Red Hat

Sockets

hai guys, I'm doing a project in which one server communicates with several clients. How can i do it when i have different port numbers???:confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshb6
0 Replies

9. IP Networking

Basic question about sockets

Hi - I've written an app that, among other things, accepts a telnet connection (made via the "telnet" command from a terminal) and converses with it. I'd like to make this work so that only one client at a time can connect. Currently, when a second user tries to connect, the incoming messages... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mzimmers
2 Replies

10. Programming

Any example about sockets in C++?

Hi, i am student, think learning about c++, someone has a example the how establish a conection with sockets :b::b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmartinez
1 Replies
SOCKETCALL(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						     SOCKETCALL(2)

NAME
socketcall - socket system calls SYNOPSIS
#include <linux/net.h> int socketcall(int call, unsigned long *args); DESCRIPTION
socketcall() is a common kernel entry point for the socket system calls. call determines which socket function to invoke. args points to a block containing the actual arguments, which are passed through to the appropriate call. User programs should call the appropriate functions by their usual names. Only standard library implementors and kernel hackers need to know about socketcall(). call Man page SYS_SOCKET socket(2) SYS_BIND bind(2) SYS_CONNECT connect(2) SYS_LISTEN listen(2) SYS_ACCEPT accept(2) SYS_GETSOCKNAME getsockname(2) SYS_GETPEERNAME getpeername(2) SYS_SOCKETPAIR socketpair(2) SYS_SEND send(2) SYS_RECV recv(2) SYS_SENDTO sendto(2) SYS_RECVFROM recvfrom(2) SYS_SHUTDOWN shutdown(2) SYS_SETSOCKOPT setsockopt(2) SYS_GETSOCKOPT getsockopt(2) SYS_SENDMSG sendmsg(2) SYS_RECVMSG recvmsg(2) SYS_ACCEPT4 accept4(2) SYS_RECVMMSG recvmmsg(2) SYS_SENDMMSG sendmmsg(2) CONFORMING TO
This call is specific to Linux, and should not be used in programs intended to be portable. NOTES
On a some architectures--for example, x86-64 and ARM--there is no socketcall() system call; instead socket(2), accept(2), bind(2), and so on really are implemented as separate system calls. On x86-32, socketcall() was historically the only entry point for the sockets API. However, starting in Linux 4.3, direct system calls are provided on x86-32 for the sockets API. This facilitates the creation of seccomp(2) filters that filter sockets system calls (for new user-space binaries that are compiled to use the new entry points) and also provides a (very) small performance improvement. SEE ALSO
accept(2), bind(2), connect(2), getpeername(2), getsockname(2), getsockopt(2), listen(2), recv(2), recvfrom(2), recvmsg(2), send(2), sendmsg(2), sendto(2), setsockopt(2), shutdown(2), socket(2), socketpair(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 SOCKETCALL(2)