Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: if statement remotely
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting if statement remotely Post 57309 by dxrmroue on Friday 22nd of October 2004 11:15:54 AM
Old 10-22-2004
if statement remotely

I need to rsh to many machines and run an " if statement' that checks the versions of the OS and if up to date it tee -a to a file called "uptodate"..then if not update, it tee -a to file called "notuptodate" on my machine

the command that checks the version is cat /etc/version.
now the output of that is the one I am looking to have the if statement test against.

I am just having issues with setting up that if statement
This is part of it..( variable are already set up )

for host in `cat $SUN`
do
rsh $host "( /usr/bin/cat /etc/version)"

***problem starts here**
if [$? = 5.8]; then
echo $host | tee -a $uptodate
else
echo $host | tee -a $notuptodate
fi
done

Your help would be appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remotely login to one from another?

NT CONSULTANT IS NEAR TOTAL UNIX NEWBIE! Please help! I would like detailed info about how to remotely connect a PC running win'98 that is not on a local network to a unix server which is locally networked to other PCs? Would like to know how to: Move files back and forth? Mount... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kagor
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using CD drive remotely !

hi, could anyone tell me that how can i use a remote CD drive for installing solaris , cause my local Drive has peroblem. tell me the steps one by one. Rgrds, nikk:confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikk
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Untar remotely

I need to upload tar or zip files to a unix server than unzip or untar them remotely. Any suggestions on the easiest way to do the remote untar or unzip? For example does someone know of a cgi script or something? Thanks -jz (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwzumwalt
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement - How to write a null statement

In my ksh script, if the conditions of a if statement are true, then do nothing; otherwise, execute some commands. How do I write the "do nothing" statement in the following example? Example: if (( "$x"="1" && "$y"="a" && "$z"="happy" )) then do nothing else command command fi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How is use sselect statement o/p in insert statement.

Hi All, I am using Unix ksh script. I need to insert values to a table using the o/p from a slelect statement. Can anybody Help! My script looks like tihs. ---`sqlplus -s username/password@SID << EOF set heading off set feedback off set pages 0 insert into ${TB_NAME}_D... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkosaraju
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk remotely

Hi there I am trying to add up the disk space used on a remote linux box but am falling at the first hurdle i.e isolating the 'space used' column with df -k on the remote box if i run this, i get the df -k output as expected # rsh remote-server 'df -k|grep sd|grep -v boot' /dev/sda3 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
8 Replies

7. Solaris

SSH Remotely

Hello. I am trying to ssh and run a script from a remote computer. These computers will be both Windows and MACs. I am using Solaris 8 and what I have tried is: using putty ssh user@ip_address (remote command) /folder/folder/filename.sh The issue here is that the user profile has not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkmtm
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to execute the shell remotely

Hi All, I have a typical problem where I have HP unix and want to connect to Solaris 5.10 box and run a shell. I tried with multiple forums but it does not help. As per my analysis, there is no ssh in my machine and so i cant connect to solaris box,secondly ftp to the solaris server is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remotely Diff Two files

Daily Stupid Question: How can I remotely look at the difference from a file from my localhost and a remote machine? So: diff local-file remote-file-on-some-other-ip (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies
tee(1)							      General Commands Manual							    tee(1)

NAME
tee - pipe fitting to copy standard output to file SYNOPSIS
[file]... DESCRIPTION
The command transcribes the standard input to the standard output and makes copies in the files. Options This option ignores interrupts. This option appends the output to the files rather than overwriting the files. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multibyte character code sets are supported. RETURN VALUE
The command returns zero upon successful completion, or nonzero if the command fails. EXAMPLES
Write a list of users to the screen and also append the list to the file STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
tee(1)