Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers can unix printing directly to ip address Post 57148 by maguired on Tuesday 19th of October 2004 02:10:31 PM
Old 10-19-2004
Power can unix printing directly to ip address

Thanks in advance.

I am researching if it is possible for unix (solaris) to print directly printers with IP addresses. Without adding all the ip addresses to the hosts file? There are more than a hundred printers and managing them in a hosts file would be tedius, prone to error, and time consumming. No sense in reinventing the wheel, if something already exists.

As one of the people at work (VMS shop) with a little unix experience, I have been ask to look into this question. At this time, we have a local written utility that passes the user's printer (from the user's profile in a database) and the print filename to the OS with any addition formating information. This puts updating the printer information in the users hands.

Thanks,
Deborah

long ago and far away, I was an OS test engineer for sequent computer system. my unix skills are very rusty.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing from unix with lp

Hey, When printing from UNIX all the dataafter the end of the page is not printed!! How can I use lp so that instead of just printing to the end of the page, it stops at the end of the page and then prints on the next line??? Thanx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmcg
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Printing Problems in unix ... ( Bar-cdoe - Ip Printing)

Hi guys ... i need ur help with some printing problem in unix ... first prob. : i wanna print from my NCR unix to an Win NT , Ip based printing server ( HP JetDirect ) . My issue , is it possible to print directly to an Ip address from unix ? How do i make it work to get any results ?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: QuickSilver
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX Printing

Greetings. Got a problem I'm working on, not that familiar with UNIX to be honest. We're having some issues printing from a UNIX Server, hoping someone can help. Here's the situation: We have remote offices that use Microsoft Windows Remote Desktop Client to connect to a Windows 2003 Terminal... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MPW
5 Replies

4. Programming

Printing class address!

Hello everyone, I have this code which prints the address of the object of a class....bt. what if I want to print the address of the class? #include <iostream.h> class har{ }; int main() { har a; cout<<(&a); } I would really appreciate if someone can help! Thanks!!!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mind@work
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing pointer address

How can I print the memory address of a pointer using printf (or any other STDOUT functions?). I see in Linux its %p but not in unix, help? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sco Unix printing : jobs hangs in queue - printing via lp versus hpnpf

Hi, We have a Unix 3.2v5.0.5. I installed a printer via scoadmin, HP network printer manager with network peripheral name (hostname and ipadres are in /etc/hosts). This is the configuration file : Code: root@sco1 # cat configurationBanner: on:AlwaysContent types: simpleDevice:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haezeban
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with printing in UNIX

I have a file that looks like below: a:b:c d e f g h u:f:j e:k:c0 d9 e1 x55 h789 p:d:hh dtyu gasd lrtyu oqa Is there a way to print is as given below: a:b:c d e f g h u:f:j e:k:c0 d9 e1 x55 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to save a file directly into windows from UNIX?

Hi, How can i save a file directly into my windows file system by running a shell script from my unix file system. I need to fetch data from a database and save it in a file. Since the data downloaded from database is huge, if i save it in the unix file system, the space in my home directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
2 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

VIP Membership - The UNIX and Linux Forums - Get Your UNIX.COM Email Address Here

We work hard to make The UNIX and Linux Forums one of the best UNIX and Linux knowledge sources on the net. The site is certainly one of the top UNIX and Linux Q&A sites on the web. In order to provide certain members the best quality account services, you can now get some great extra features by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
cancel(1)                                                                                                                                cancel(1)

NAME
cancel - cancel print request SYNOPSIS
cancel [ request-ID...] [destination...] cancel -u user... [destination...] The cancel utility cancels print requests. There are two forms of the cancel command. The first form of cancel has two optional arguments: print requests (request-ID) and destinations (destination). Specifying request-ID with destination cancels request-ID on destination. Specifying only the destination cancels the current print request on destination. If desti- nation is not specified, cancel cancels the requested print request on all destinations. The second form of cancel cancels a user's print requests on specific destinations. Users can only cancel print requests associated with their username. By default, users can only cancel print requests on the host from which the print request was submitted. If a super-user has set user-equivalence=true in /etc/printers.conf on the print server, users can cancel print requests associated with their username on any host. Super-users can cancel print requests on the host from which the print request was submitted. Superusers can also cancel print requests from the print server. The print client commands locate destination information using the printers database in the name service switch. See nsswitch.conf(4), printers(4), and printers.conf(4) for details. The following options are supported: -u user The name of the user for which print requests are to be cancelled. Specify user as a username. The following operands are supported: destination The destination on which the print requests are to be canceled. destination is the name of a printer or class of printers (see lpadmin(1M)). If destination is not specified, cancel cancels the requested print request on all destinations. Specify destination using atomic or POSIX-style (server:destination), names. See for information regarding using POSIX-style des- tination names with cancel. See standards(5) for information regarding POSIX. request-ID The print request to be canceled. Specify request-ID using LP-style request IDs (destination-number). user The name of the user for which the print requests are to be cancelled. Specify user as a username. The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. non-zero An error occurred. /var/spool/print/* LP print queue. $HOME/.printers User-configurable printer database. /etc/printers.conf System printer configuration database. printers.conf.byname NIS version of /etc/printers.conf. printers.org_dir NIS+ version of /etc/printers.conf. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWpcu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ lp(1), lpq(1B), lpr(1B), lprm(1B), lpstat(1), lpadmin( 1M), nsswitch.conf(4), printers(4), printers.conf(4), attributes(5), standards(5) POSIX-style destination names (server:destination) are treated as print requests if destination has the same format as an LP-style request- ID. See standards(5). Some print servers send cancelation notification to job owners when their print jobs have been cancelled. This notification usually comes in the form of an email message. Cancelation notices cannot be disabled on a Solaris server. 23 Feb 2005 cancel(1)