Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: query on grep command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers query on grep command Post 56649 by RTM on Thursday 7th of October 2004 08:49:23 AM
Old 10-07-2004
Using grep, no. Maybe one of the others on the forum knows how.

Using awk, you can find a string and print out the lines between it and another string ( awk /"first string"/ /"second string"/ )

Using wc command, you can find the total number of lines in a file, then cat the file, pipe to tail, pipe to head - that combination can give you line 15-21.

Something like ...
cat hosts |tail -200|head -6

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query regarding grep

In what cases the following command ignores lines in input file: $ grep -c "^" inputfile (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amicon007
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep command query

Hi I have file like this: Sun Jan 24 03:00:00 2010: *** Weekly Process - get_ens_files.pl START *** Sun Jan 24 03:00:00 2010: *** *** Sun Jan 24 03:00:00 2010: *************************************************** Sun Jan 24 03:00:11 2010: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep query

As part of my never-ending nagios automation project I am need to implement the following run line into a loop; -bash-3.00$ grep ${feed} /usr/local/feed/service/clients/*/bin/* | awk -F/ '{print "To restart: /"$2"/"$3"/"$4"/"$5"/"$6"/"$7"/"$8"/"$9}' Which prints to screen; To restart:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
3 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

ls grep query

Hi please can someone help me with a query? The following command is executed: $ ls abc def hij You execute the command: ls | grep f*. Which files will be displayed and why? thanks (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmn0004676
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep/sed query

Hi all, I have one query,in my script,i give one input like sectionname that enclose with and that will search in specific file in specific directory.If found ,then it's search next section and begin of section ,sometext means different sectionname. p1 p2 p3 p4 p5 p6 I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

query related to grep

Hi All, The result for 'grep "cert_codes" /develop/sales/appl.srce/*.4gl' command will be saved at aa.txt grep "cert_codes" /develop/sales/appl.srce/*.4gl >aa.txt But I am not sure, whether, all result stored in .txt file in case of multi-line result. Please revert back if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbankar
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep command query

list ALL file entries with a last modification date of September 20. using grep (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: polineni
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep query

Hi, What does this line do grep -E 'ORA-' $LIN_TOP/log/status.log > /dev/null 2>&1 Does this check in status.log and in std out, stderr also.? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Query about 'rm' command

Hi, Can a file & folder be removed using single rm command. eg., rm <arguments> <file> <folder> Please let me know if this is possible. Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vinay_Kumar
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File grep quick query

Hi Experts, I need some suggestion on file grep. I am trying to find multiple pattern with the file grep as below grep "2013" trace.log | grep -f pattern.cfg -i > $LOG if ; then mail -s "Exception" "sample@abc.com" < $LOG fi Is it possible to obtain what pattern I got in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil.ak
5 Replies
cat(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cat(1)

Name
       cat - concatenate and print data

Syntax
       cat [ -b ] [ -e ] [ -n ] [ -s ] [ -t ] [ -u ] [ -v ] file...

Description
       The  command reads each file in sequence and displays it on the standard output.  Therefore, to display the file on the standard output you
       type:
       cat file
       To concatenate two files and place the result on the third you type:
       cat file1 file2 > file3
       To concatenate two files and append them to a third you type:
       cat file1 file2 >> file3
       If no input file is given, or if a minus sign (-) is encountered as an argument, reads from the standard input file.  Output is buffered in
       1024-byte blocks unless the standard output is a terminal, in which case it is line buffered.  The utility supports the processing of 8-bit
       characters.

Options
       -b   Ignores blank lines and precedes each output line with its line number.

-e   Displays a dollar sign ($) at the end of each output line.

-n   Precedes all output lines (including blank lines) with line numbers.

-s   Squeezes adjacent blank lines from output and single spaces output.

-t   Displays non-printing characters (including tabs) in output.  In addition to those representations used with the -v  option,  all  tab
	    characters are displayed as ^I.

-u   Unbuffers output.

-v   Displays  non-printing  characters (excluding tabs and newline) as the ^x.	If the character is in the range octal 0177 to octal 0241,
	    it is displayed as M-x. The delete character (octal 0177) displays as ^?.  For example, is displayed as ^X.

See Also
       cp(1), ex(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1)

cat(1)