Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Restore command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Restore command Post 56640 by raguramtgr on Thursday 7th of October 2004 03:17:32 AM
Old 10-07-2004
Is it a tar or cpio backup. Because "restore" is more effective or can be used only with cpio. On the otherhand, if you have used "tar" then the syntax may change. You can use "tar xvf".

raguram R

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Dump and restore command usage ??

Hi, I am using RHEL 4.0 I need to take backup of a directory and then restore it to some other location. For taking Backup of final directory, I am using this code: dump -0aj -f /home/vicky/final.dump /home/vicky/final/ Now, I am trying to restore this final.dump to some other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
2 Replies

2. AIX

mksysb restore - Wrong OS level for restore

Hi all, I am still working on my mksysb restore. My latest issue is during an alt_disk_install from tape I got the following error after all the data had been restored. 0505-143 alt_disk_install: Unable to match mksysb level 5.2.0 with any available boot images. Please correct this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pobman
0 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Restore Command

How can I tell the restore command to restore my files to another directory than the one archived? I want to restore a directory to a directory called temp and NOT its original location. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

DD command to backup and restore

Hi, Currently I have 2 servers. 1 is already installed with RHEL4(withmyapplications) and the other one is still brand new. My question is, is it possible to use DD command to backup the whole harddrive for the RHEL4 server and restore it to the new brand server so that I do not have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flekzout
3 Replies
rpm2cpio(1)							   User Commands						       rpm2cpio(1)

NAME
rpm2cpio - convert Red Hat Package (RPM) to cpio archive SYNOPSIS
rpm2cpio [file.rpm] DESCRIPTION
The rpm2cpio utility converts the .rpm file specified as its sole argument to a cpio archive on standard output. (See NOTES.) If no argu- ment is given, an rpm stream is read from standard input. In both cases, rpm2cpio will fail and print a usage message if the standard out- put is a terminal. Therefore, the output is usually redirected to a file or piped through the cpio(1) utility. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Converting an rpm file example% rpm2cpio Device3Dfx-1.1-2.src.rpm | cpio -itv CPIO archive found! -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2635 Sep 13 16:39 1998, 3dfx.gif -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11339 Sep 27 16:03 1998, Dev3Dfx.tar.gz -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1387 Sep 27 16:04 1998, Device3Dfx-1.1-2.spec 31 blocks Example 2 Converting from standard input example% rpm2cpio < Device3Dfx-1.1-2.src.rpm | cpio -itv CPIO archive found! -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2635 Sep 13 16:39 1998, 3dfx.gif -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11339 Sep 27 16:03 1998, Dev3Dfx.tar.gz -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1387 Sep 27 16:04 1998, Device3Dfx-1.1-2.spec 31 blocks ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrpm | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cpio(1), attributes(5) NOTES
rpm2cpio handles versions 3 and 4 RPMs. SunOS 5.11 20 Aug 2001 rpm2cpio(1)