Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: its happend after restart.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting its happend after restart. Post 56265 by Perderabo on Wednesday 29th of September 2004 04:50:33 PM
Old 09-29-2004
To get 666 you need a umask of 0. To get 644 you need a umask of 022. Type "umask" and see what you have. What shell are you using? What version of HP-UX? Probably someone changed your .profile file or whatever startup script your shell uses.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Postfix Restart

I am really really new on UNIX system. I am trying to update our e-mail list. I added/deleted new members at etc/aliases but e-amil always got old e-mail lists. I reloaded postmaster but does not seem to be working. Anybody has any idea? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarrana
4 Replies

2. SuSE

Restart process

I have a process that gradually eats up memory, it's currently at 80.2% and slowing down the linux server > ps aux | grep SNMPME root 3129 0.0 80.2 3591752 2480700 ? Sl Feb13 5:04 /opt/nampe/lib/snmpme/SNMPME config/startup.xml Is there a command I can execute to restart this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brendan76
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

What happend?

Hi everybody: Could anybody tell me how I can solve this mistake. I have two files and i would like one, so I use the cat command, like always: cat file1.dat file2.dat > file3.dat But the first line from file2.dat is concatenated with the last line from file1.dat: file1.dat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Where does the 8 come from? (or what happend to the first `)

$ ksh $ echo "\047"0"\047" result: 8' (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: R.T.
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restart a Service!!

Hello, I am trying to write a script which will monitor few processes(winbind) for cpu utilization, If the process consumes more than say 99% cpu for 3 minutes, I want to run a script to restart the service which forks the process. ---------- Post updated at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous update... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxaddict7
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

Restart SMSPI

I know this sounds silly but im not sure where my smspi is located. I want to restart the services but im not sure where to look at. I dont have init.d in my /sbin : # cd /sbin # cd init.d -bash: cd: init.d: No such file or directory Its running at this time: -bash-3.00$ ps -ef... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to restart a script?

Hello, I created a shell script in /etc/init.d and it already runs at boot. However I cannot figure out how to make it run just like typing "scrip_name start" I can run it like this ./script_name but since I am doing remote log in whenever I log off the script stops and I also don't want to run... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kizofilax
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

restart parameter

I have a shell script with 4 separate functions taking place, one after the other. Is there a way to introduce a parameter so that if the job fails, then I can restart it at a specific point in the script ? Ideally, the default will be null (or 1), so that it will not normally be set, and the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malts18
4 Replies

9. Solaris

sshd not able to restart

Hi, I was able to putty a few server (Solaris 10) of mine using hostname, but when i change to ip address, it shows login as: root Using keyboard-interactive authentication. Password: Access denied I change PermitRootLogin to yes. I tried to do a sshd restart, however ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
6 Replies
UMASK(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  UMASK(2)

NAME
umask - set file mode creation mask SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> mode_t umask(mode_t mask); DESCRIPTION
umask() sets the calling process's file mode creation mask (umask) to mask & 0777 (i.e., only the file permission bits of mask are used), and returns the previous value of the mask. The umask is used by open(2), mkdir(2), and other system calls that create files to modify the permissions placed on newly created files or directories. Specifically, permissions in the umask are turned off from the mode argument to open(2) and mkdir(2). The constants that should be used to specify mask are described under stat(2). The typical default value for the process umask is S_IWGRP | S_IWOTH (octal 022). In the usual case where the mode argument to open(2) is specified as: S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR | S_IRGRP | S_IWGRP | S_IROTH | S_IWOTH (octal 0666) when creating a new file, the permissions on the resulting file will be: S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR | S_IRGRP | S_IROTH (because 0666 & ~022 = 0644; i.e., rw-r--r--). RETURN VALUE
This system call always succeeds and the previous value of the mask is returned. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
A child process created via fork(2) inherits its parent's umask. The umask is left unchanged by execve(2). The umask setting also affects the permissions assigned to POSIX IPC objects (mq_open(3), sem_open(3), shm_open(3)), FIFOs (mkfifo(3)), and UNIX domain sockets (unix(7)) created by the process. The umask does not affect the permissions assigned to System V IPC objects created by the process (using msgget(2), semget(2), shmget(2)). SEE ALSO
chmod(2), mkdir(2), open(2), stat(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-01-09 UMASK(2)