Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed commands
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed commands Post 56151 by douknownam on Tuesday 28th of September 2004 03:55:50 PM
Old 09-28-2004
alex blanco

according to your post above, it should work. How come my line of code below doesn't work? I'm trying to use variables as inputs to the beginning and ending line numbers to print a report.

Code:
sed -n '"$var1", "$var2"p' "$rpt" > $HOME/rpt1.tmp
lp -d "$printer" $HOME/rpt1.tmp

When I echo the var1 and var2 within the script they print the values inputted for var1 and var2, just doesn't seem to work in that line of code. Any suggessions?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple sed commands

hello! I have a few sed commands sed '/^$/d' < $1 > tmp.t sed '/^ \{3,\}/d' < tmp.t > tmp1.txt ..... how can I write them in a single line? sed '/^$/d' < $1 > | '/^ \{3,\}/d' < $1 > tmp1.txt any idea? thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: george_
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

combining sed commands

I would like to change the lines: originalline1 originalline2 to: originalline1new originalline1newline originalline2new originalline2newline To do this, id like to combine the commands: sed 's/^/&new/g' file > newfile1 and sed '/^/ a\\ newline\\ \\ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dave724001
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables in sed commands

Hi there, I need to be able to put the hostid of my box into a file (replacing the text "enter_hostid_here" so i tried sed -e 's/enter_hostid_here/`hostid`/g' inputfile > outputfile but it takes the `hostid` literally as text .....how can I get this info into the file (ideally in a single... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables within awk/sed commands

Can I use my own variables within awk and sed for example: I've written a while loop with a counter $i and I want to use the value of $i within sed and awk to edit certain lines of text within a data file. I want to use : sed '1s/$/texthere/g' data.csv Like this: sed '$is/$/$age/g' data.csv... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mustaine85
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running sed commands

Hello I need to run some sed commands but it involves "/" in the substitute or delete, any ideas how I get round the problem. Example: cat file1.txt | sed -e '/</Header>/d' > file2.txt This errors due to the forward slash before the Header text. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dolph
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging sed commands

Hi, I've a shell that uses two sed commands to tailor a file. sed 's/ */ /g' | sed 's/%/%%/g' Is it possible to merge this in to a single sed? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using commands inside sed substitution

Dear Friends, Please let me know how to use the date command inside the substitution flag replacement string. echo "01 Jan 2003:11:00:06 +0100" | sed 's/\(.*\)/`date -d \1 "+%Y%m%d%H%M%S"`/' I want to supply \1 string to Here mention below as part of replacement string, date -d <Here>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamil.pamaran
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grouping sed commands

Hello, would you please help me with why my SED command file is outputting the entire input file instead of only the text that I'm trying to block? cat testfile O 111111111-00 DUE-DATE METHOD: FREQUENCY: O 222222222-00 DUE-DATE METHOD: FREQUENCY: O 333333333-02 DUE-DATE METHOD:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lneedh1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested sed commands

Hi, I get the following response by gphoto2 and I would like to substract the index number of the current item. In this case 3. gphoto2 --get-config /main/imgsettings/iso Label: ISO Speed Type: RADIO Current: 200 Choice: 0 100 Choice: 1 125 Choice: 2 160 Choice: 3 200 Choice: 4 250 ..... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nic2015
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for sed commands to add some strings

Hi All, I have one file which has contents as following. I have now to add some strings into this file. In below there is a "Description" field, and I have to look line by line and as the description contents will be finished, I have to add the string "Hello world" followed by a TAB. So before... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wridler
2 Replies
DEBUG_ZVAL_DUMP(3)							 1							DEBUG_ZVAL_DUMP(3)

debug_zval_dump - Dumps a string representation of an internal zend value to output

SYNOPSIS
void debug_zval_dump (mixed $variable, [mixed $...]) DESCRIPTION
Dumps a string representation of an internal zend value to output. PARAMETERS
o $variable - The variable being evaluated. RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 debug_zval_dump(3) example <?php $var1 = 'Hello World'; $var2 = ''; $var2 =& $var1; debug_zval_dump(&$var1); ?> The above example will output: &string(11) "Hello World" refcount(3) Note Beware the refcount The refcount value returned by this function is non-obvious in certain circumstances. For example, a developer might expect the above example to indicate a refcount of 2. The third reference is created when actually calling debug_zval_dump(3). This behavior is further compounded when a variable is not passed to debug_zval_dump(3) by reference. To illustrate, consider a slightly modified version of the above example: Example #2 <?php $var1 = 'Hello World'; $var2 = ''; $var2 =& $var1; debug_zval_dump($var1); // not passed by reference, this time ?> The above example will output: string(11) "Hello World" refcount(1) Why refcount(1)? Because a copy of $var1 is being made, when the function is called. This function becomes even more confusing when a variable with a refcount of 1 is passed (by copy/value): Example #3 <?php $var1 = 'Hello World'; debug_zval_dump($var1); ?> The above example will output: string(11) "Hello World" refcount(2) A refcount of 2, here, is extremely non-obvious. Especially considering the above examples. So what's happening? When a variable has a single reference (as did $var1 before it was used as an argument to debug_zval_dump(3)), PHP's engine opti- mizes the manner in which it is passed to a function. Internally, PHP treats $var1 like a reference (in that the refcount is increased for the scope of this function), with the caveat that if the passed reference happens to be written to, a copy is made, but only at the moment of writing. This is known as "copy on write." So, if debug_zval_dump(3) happened to write to its sole parameter (and it doesn't), then a copy would be made. Until then, the parameter remains a reference, causing the refcount to be incremented to 2 for the scope of the function call. SEE ALSO
var_dump(3), debug_backtrace(3), References Explained, References Explained (by Derick Rethans). PHP Documentation Group DEBUG_ZVAL_DUMP(3)