Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Assign variables with cut
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assign variables with cut Post 56067 by douknownam on Monday 27th of September 2004 09:18:48 AM
Old 09-27-2004
thank you very much, I was not aware that we could assign 2 variables in that manner. Here is my code that works, for those who may run into this problem:

Code:
cat file | grep "M " > file1

awk '{print $3,$4}' file1 > file2

cat file2 | cut -c1,2,4 > file3

cat file3 | while read var1 var2  

do
   if [[ "$var1" = "L" && "$var2" = "e" ]] then
      echo "Good Match" $var1
   elif [[ "$var1" = "T" && "$var2" = "t" ]] then   
      echo "Good Match" $var1
   elif [[ "$var1" = "P" && "$var2" = "c" ]] then
      echo "Good Match" $var1 
   else 
      echo "No Match"
   fi
done

Last edited by douknownam; 09-27-2004 at 04:16 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to assign cut values to an array

i need to seperate values seperated by delimiters and assign it to an array.. can u plz help me on that. Variables = "asd,rgbh,(,rty,got,),sroe,9034," i need to assign the variables into arrays.. like.. var=asd var=rgbh.. and so on how do i do this. i need to reuse the values stored in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syms
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign script parameters to variables

Hi, I have a bash script that accepts some parameters as input, like: sh script.sh first second third ..... I want to save these parameters as different variables, something like: VAR1=first VAR2=second etc I tried this, but apparently it didn't worked....... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: giorgos193
16 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut Command value assign to variable

Hi, I am new to UNIX Scripting. I have been trying to use the CUT command to retrieve part of the header from a file and assign it to a variable. I have tried searching a lot, but I am still unsuccessful. Sample Header: HJAN BALANCE 20090616 I need to retrieve the date here, which always... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragz_82
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign values to variables of a file

Hi, I have a file like the following... CUST= DIR= NULIST= name=philps_123 How can i add values to each of these unassigned variables using a shell script? say for eg: i have values for CUST as onida, dir as /dir/onida, NULIST as /tmp/onida_files. How can i add these values to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut text and assign them into array

file.txt : is delimiter: abc:def:ghi jkl:mno: pqr 123:456:789 if I do the cut command, and cut the first column, and echo it out I will get the output: abc jkl 123 How can I assign the column of text that I've cut into Array? e.g If I were to echo array array it will output as:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylbh
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign value to external variables from awk

Hello I have a text file with the next pattern Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 I want to assign to external variables the grades using the awk method. After i read the file line by line in order to get the grades i use this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spleshmen
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

match and assign variables

Hi guys, I'm currently writing a script for automating a FreeBSD ZFS setup (ZFSonRooT). I got stuck at one point for raidz(1,2 a.k.a raid5,6) and am in need of assistance. This is what I need. example: #!/bin/sh <- must stay sh echo -n "hdd list: " read hdd_list echo -n "hdd label list:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: da1
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

A better way to assign values to variables - shell

so i've been used to doing it this way: SVAL=$(echo "7 3 2 38 3" | awk '{print $2}') 4VAL=$(echo "4:21:N:3" | awk -F":" '{print $4}') I know there's a way to do it by putting the value in an array and assigning it that way. but i'm not sure how to do it efficiently. any ideas? i dont... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign value to variable using cut?

Hey guys. Below is the command I am using to assign "yellow" to the variable yellow. I can seem to echo it out using xargs but when I assign it to yellow and then try to echo it out it prints a blank line. Below is the command. Your help is highly appreciated! cut -c 2- color.txt |... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldan88
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign Unknown Values to Variables

i have a program that spits out a certain number of values. i dont know the number of values. they can be 4, 10, 7, 20, no idea. but, i want to be able to assign each of the value returned by this program to a variable. in the latest instance, the program gave the following 6 values: 4... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
8 Replies
lassign(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							lassign(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
lassign - Assign list elements to variables SYNOPSIS
lassign list varName ?varName ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command treats the value list as a list and assigns successive elements from that list to the variables given by the varName arguments in order. If there are more variable names than list elements, the remaining variables are set to the empty string. If there are more list elements than variables, a list of unassigned elements is returned. EXAMPLES
An illustration of how multiple assignment works, and what happens when there are either too few or too many elements. lassign {a b c} x y z ;# Empty return puts $x ;# Prints "a" puts $y ;# Prints "b" puts $z ;# Prints "c" lassign {d e} x y z ;# Empty return puts $x ;# Prints "d" puts $y ;# Prints "e" puts $z ;# Prints "" lassign {f g h i} x y ;# Returns "h i" puts $x ;# Prints "f" puts $y ;# Prints "g" The lassign command has other uses. It can be used to create the analogue of the "shift" command in many shell languages like this: set ::argv [lassign $::argv argumentToReadOff] SEE ALSO
lindex(n), list(n), lset(n), set(n) KEYWORDS
assign, element, list, multiple, set, variable Tcl 8.5 lassign(n)