Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grepping lines out of files
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users grepping lines out of files Post 55976 by mariner on Thursday 23rd of September 2004 07:36:56 AM
Old 09-23-2004
grepping lines out of files

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. I have a file with about 200 lines in it. I am wanting to set up a Count so that it picks out each line at turn and edits the line. However i am having trouble pulling out the specific line. I have a feeling it will be done somehow by a grep -n but what ever i try i can not pick out the line.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grepping many values from same files

Hi All, I am having a script in which I am greping some values and storing them from files with .err and .log extensions. I feel I can do it better.But How? Below is my piece of code. oneerrors=`egrep -i -n "one" *.err *.log` twoerrors=`egrep -i -n "two" *.err *.log` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreejith_VK
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping between files

Hi I have two files File 1 alias HOME =.. alias DATA = ${DATA}/runtime1/test alias SQL = ${DATA}/find1dir/test alias SQL1 = ${HOME}/sql/orcl alias SQL2 =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression grepping lines with VARIOUS number of blanks

Hi, I need a regular expression grepping all lines starting with '*' followed by a VARIOUS number of blanks and then followed by the string 'Runjob=1'. I tried that code, but it doesn't work: grep -i '*'+'Runjob=1' INPUT_FILE >>OUTPUT_FILE Can someone help me? Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping log files

I have a log file and I have two unique strings which represent the start and end of the text I want to obtain. How can I get all the text inbetween this start string and the end string? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjones
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grepping files and then renaming file

Hi, What is the easiest way to list a directory with 1000s of filenames, grep it for a certain sequence of numbers, and if found to rename the file by the value you are grepping. eg The file I am examining will looks like this: 1234 1224343 2324 244 35665 If I am examining a list... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mantis
1 Replies

6. AIX

Grepping before and after lines for required string

Hi All, I am new to AIX unix . i need to grep for a pattern and if pattern is found then i need 3 before the pattern line found and 3 lines after the pattern found. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolvibh
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need command for grepping pattern lines with subsequent lines

Hi, I have a requirement like, I have a list of pattens in a file say pattern.txt, PHC111 PHC113 and in another file called master.lst i have entries like, PHC111 a b PHC112 a PHC113 b c PHC114 d e (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping multiple lines in a file

HI I have a file with output as System: cu=4 ent=0.1 mode=on cu min u s w i 0 500 0.1 0.3 0.5 0.1 1 200 0.5 0.2 0.3 0.0 I need to grep the values of following column fields u, s, w and i from each row sum them up and store in a variable..:( Please help.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing next two lines from a file after grepping a specific pattern

Hi I have a file like # vi require.txt 1,BANK,Read blocks that cycle. yellow Read blocks. 2,ACCOUNT,Finished Red Finished . 3,LOAN, pipe white pipe 4,PROFIT,Resolve. black Resolve Am using like cat require.txt | grep -w ACCOUNTThe output I get is (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping or awking multiple lines in a file - regex

data.txt: hellohellohello mellomello1mello tellotellotellotello bellobellowbellow vellow My attempts: egrep ".*mello1\n.*bellow" data.txt awk '/.*mello1.*\nbellow/' data.txt how can i search for patterns that are on different lines using simple egrep or awk? i only want the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies
IEEE1284_DATA(3)						     Functions							  IEEE1284_DATA(3)

NAME
ieee1284_read_data, ieee1284_write_data, ieee1284_data_dir, ieee1284_wait_data - control the data lines SYNOPSIS
#include <ieee1284.h> int ieee1284_read_data(struct parport *port); void ieee1284_write_data(struct parport *port, unsigned char dt); int ieee1284_data_dir(struct parport *port, int reverse); int ieee1284_wait_data(struct parport *port, unsigned char mask, unsigned char val, struct timeval *timeout); DESCRIPTION
These functions manipulate the data lines of the parallel port associated with port (which must have been claimed using ieee1284_claim(3)). The lines are represented by an 8-bit number (one line per bit) and a direction. The data lines are driven as a group; they may be all host-driven (forward direction) or not (reverse direction). When the peripheral is driving them the host must not. For ieee1284_data_dir the reverse parameter should be zero to turn the data line drivers on and non-zero to turn them off. Some port types may be unable to switch off the data line drivers. Setting the data lines may have side effects on some port types (for example, some Amiga ports pulse nStrobe). ieee1284_wait_data waits, up until the timeout, for the data bits specified in mask to have the corresponding values in val. RETURN VALUE
ieee1284_read_data returns the 8-bit number representing the data lines unless it is not possible to return such a value with this port type, in which case it returns an error code. Possible error codes: E1284_NOTAVAIL Bi-directional data lines are not available on this system. E1284_INVALIDPORT The port parameter is invalid (perhaps it has not been claimed, for instance). E1284_SYS There was an error at the operating system level, and errno has been set accordingly. E1284_TIMEDOUT The timeout has elapsed. Whereas ieee1284_read_data may return E1284_NOTAVAIL on its first invocation on the port, if it does not do so then it cannot until ieee1284_close is called for that port. AUTHOR
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> Author. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001-2003 Tim Waugh 09/18/2007 IEEE1284_DATA(3)