Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: GREPing for Nulls
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers GREPing for Nulls Post 55729 by jim mcnamara on Friday 17th of September 2004 03:25:42 PM
Old 09-17-2004
Use od -

Code:
cat badfile | od -c

You can use
man od
to find other options.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Blanks vs: Nulls

I'm relatively new to Pro*C programming. In the following example: char name; EXEC SQL SELECT 'John Doe' INTO :name FROM DUAL; "John Doe" is in positions 0-7, blanks in 8-19, and a null in 20. I would really prefer the null to be in position 8 and I don't care what's after that. I wrote a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ebock
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing nulls using sed

Hi, I am trying to replace nulls with spaces in every record of a '|' delimited file. I used this command - cat input.dat | sed 's/||/| |/g' > output But if a space appears twice '| | |' , then only the first null is getting replaced with a space. The second one remains as a null. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice1324
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort truncates line when they contain nulls

When I try to sort a file where some records contain nulls i.e. hex 00 the sort truncates the record when it reaches the null and writes message: "sort: warning: missing NEWLINE added at end of input file myfile" I'm assuming from this that the sort sees the null as a special character and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArthurWaik
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

include NULLs in line length check

Hello, I am checking the length of each line of a fixed length file and making sure all lines are 161 length. My problem is that some files contain null characters which gets stripped out of my echo. How do I have the NULLs included in my check? (and I cannot replace or sub the NULL values with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ironmix
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace nulls with whitespaces in a file

Hi, i have a file which contains data in fixed length. each row contains data of 10 characters fixed length. The data in the file appears like 4567782882 some times i may recieve dat less than fixed length of 10. in such a case i find nulls appended at the trailing spaces when i do a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meeragiri
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Counting columns in a delimited record with NULLs

I am trying to count the number of columns in a delimited flat file. The record is tab delimited. When I use the command wc -w, I am getting unexpected results when the record contains a NULL value. I believe it is because there is a "word" missing. The below example will return 4 words... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmalencia
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that Nulls Contents of Files

Ok, I'm stuck here with a plan to get what I need done completed. I want to use perl to produce a document. lets say the document will be a pdf document. Now, is there a way for me to put a tiny little code in that pdf document that can make the pdf file null itself if run on a non-unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace nulls with a value in a file

Hi, I've a PIPE delimited file with about 5 fields. Sometimes the records in the 4th field is null, so I want to replace it based on values we get it on 2nd field in the same file. Following is an example. ABCD|X-TYPE 3.0|2010|X-TYPE|20000 CDEF|C-TYPE 2.5|2011|C-TYPE|10000 XYZ|LX... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove or truncate trailing nulls from file

I want to remove from a file the trailing null characters (0x00) and stop doing so when a different byte is found (which should not be deleted), and either put the result to the same file or a different one. Any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
9 Replies
MAN(1)							      General Commands Manual							    MAN(1)

NAME
man - print out the manual SYNOPSIS
man [ - ] [ -a ] [ -M path ] [ section ] title ... DESCRIPTION
Man is the program which provides on-line access to the UNIX manual. If a section specifier is given, man looks in that section of the manual for the given title(s). Section is either an Arabic section number (``3'' for example), or one of the words ``local'', ``new,'' or ``old''. (The abbreviations ``l'', ``n'', and ``o'' are also allowed.) If section is omitted, man searches all sections of the manual, giving preference to commands over library subroutines, and displays the first manual page it finds, if any. If the -a option is supplied, man displays all applicable manual pages. Normally man checks in standard locations (/usr/man and /usr/local/man) for manual information. This can be changed by supplying a search path (a la the Bourne shell) with the -M flag. The search path is a colon (``:'') separated list of directories in which man expects to find the standard manual subdirectories. This search path can also be set with the environmental variable MANPATH. Since some manual pages are intended for use only on certain machines, man only searches those directories applicable to the current machine. Man's determination of the current machine type can be overridden by setting the environmental variable MACHINE. If the standard output is a teletype, and the - flag is not provided, man uses more(1), or the pager provided by the environmental variable PAGER, to display the manual page. The FORTRAN version of section 3 of the manual may be specified by supplying man with the section ``3f''. Also, a specific section of the local manual may be specified by appending a number to the section, i.e. ``l5'' would indicate section 5 of the local manual. FILES
/usr/man standard manual area /usr/man/cat?/* directories containing standard manual pages /usr/local/man/cat?/* directories containing local manual pages /usr/src/man directories containing unformatted manual pages SEE ALSO
apropos(1), more(1), whatis(1), whereis(1) BUGS
The manual is supposed to be reproducible either on the phototypesetter or on a typewriter, however, on a typewriter, some information is necessarily lost. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 19, 1988 MAN(1)