Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: lines from file to variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting lines from file to variable Post 55648 by Perderabo on Thursday 16th of September 2004 08:10:55 AM
Old 09-16-2004
There is a bigger issue than just wasting a cat process. The result of
for i in `cat inputfile`
must be less than the max line size. This introduces an artificial limit on how much data the script can handle.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

put the contents of this file into a variable with multiple lines

I have a file that contains the following lines the brown quick fox jumped over the white laze dog 0123456789 I wanted to put the contents of this file into a variable so I used this code: VAR_LIST=`cat $2` where $2 is the file name passed as an argument to the script If I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nomaad
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Having sed to read lines of a file with the use of a variable..Possible?

This i will print the second line of a file sed -n '2p' test2 The use of a variable is impossible here. a=1 while ; do line=`sed -n '$a p' test2` # do some things here with the line variable a=`expr $a + 1` done But the uotput of sed command is 'p'..... What can i do to use a variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Split lines into array - variable line items - variable no of lines.

Hi, I have the following lines that I would like to see in an array for easy comparisons and printing: Example 1: field1,field2,field3,field4,field5 value1,value2,value3,value4,value5Example 2: field1,field3,field4,field2,field5,field6,field7... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

count lines in file to variable

I have a text file in which you need to identify the number of lines that looks like this: awk '{x + +} END {print x}' filename The problem is that I do not know how this data to any variable in which then need to continue to work in a cycle for .. do not know someone help? Sorry for my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gizmo16
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a variable to a text file after fixed number of lines

Hi, I am new to unix. I need to insert a variable which contains some lines of text into a text file after fixed number of lines.. Please help me on this.. Thanks in Advance, Amrutha (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amr89
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing lines of a file in a variable

i want to store the output of 'tail -5000 file' to a variable. If i want to access the contents of that variable, it becomes kinda difficult because when the data is stored in the variable, everything is mushed together. you dont know where a line begins or ends. so my question is, how can i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding variable value in the begining of all lines present in a file.

I am getting the varible value from a grep command as: var=$(grep "Group" File1.txt | sed 's/Group Name*//g;s/,//g;s/://g;s/-//g') which leaves me the value of $var=xyz. now i want to append $var value in the begining of all the lines present in the file. Can u please suggest? Input file: 1... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rade777
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign a variable to number of lines in a file

Hello Gurus, Here is my requirement. I need to find the number of lines in a file and need to assign it to a variable. This is what I did and not wroking. #!/bin/ksh set -xv Src_Path=/mac/dev/Generic/SrcFiles Src_Count=wc -l ${Src_Path}/FILE_JUNE.txt Count_file = $Src_Count | awk -F... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thummi9090
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed in a loop/to remove lines contained in variable from file

I've tried numerous commands, but I am not sure how to use sed in a loop. This is what I have: VARZ contains CARD_FILE_LIST and it also contains CARD_FILE_LIST2 so echo "$VARZ" CARD_FILE_LIST CARD_FILE_LIST2 I have a file with 60 lines in /tmp/testfile it and I want those lines deleted... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing specific and incrementing lines of text from file via variable

This is part of a larger script where I need to pass only 1 line of a file to the script, based on a variable and not a direct reference. As part of a for loop : # for((line=0;line<50;line++)); do # awk ‘NR==$line' PhraseList.txt; done ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seth
5 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)