Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: question..
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers question.. Post 5560 by LivinFree on Friday 17th of August 2001 12:36:25 AM
Old 08-17-2001
Yes, you can designate one or part of one hard drive toward Redhat if you'd like. Redhat will install LILO (LInux LOader), and give you the option to add other operating systems (such as Windows) so you can have one prompt on bootup that lets you decide which you'd like.

Mind you, there are a huge number of possibilities of different options / configurations to do what you asked about, so don't get confused on the details. Your best bet is to do a little research on the more common ways to boot, what disk to install on, configuration, etc., and then get to it! Everyone has their own favorite way, and you just need to find what works for you.

Read these:
http://www.redhat.com/support/manuals/
(Most notably, the 7.1 Intel x386 guide)

Browse the site - they have huge amounts of docs available for you to consume.

Also, you might find usefull:
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/tips/urls/urls.html
(Note the large security section... Pay attention here!)
http://www.linuxdoc.org/
(Read the Guides, HOW-TOs, and FAQs for more specific questions)

If you have any specific questions that you can't find any info on, please post back - Redhat is my primary distribution at home, and I may be able to help.

Have fun!

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Yet Another Question

Now that I have getch() to work, I have yet another problem. BTW, thank you for answering these questions, I do ask a lot, only because I am eager to know, what is a board used for anyways :) Ok, he's the problem... #include iostream.h #include conio.h int main() { char movement; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbolthouse
2 Replies

2. Solaris

vi question

Im trying to edit a 113 meg file in VI and i get the error TMP FILE TOO LARGE. Does someone know how to get around this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mv question

Hello if I like to move file from defined directories system to new directory that not contained any directories system structure . But I like to create the same file system structure as source directory for example : I have 2 directories: foo1 and foo2 foo1 have directories and foo2 have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question

hallo, ik heb hier een vraagje. hoeveel gebruikers kunnen er op 1 unix systeem. hopelijk antwoorden golle nu want ik moet da vinde voor school en die leerkracht zaagt. :p groetjes eu wacht wa was mijne nick ah ja vraagje groetjes vraagje ik kan geen engels dus antwoord liever in het... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vraagje
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about wc

Hey my friend was asking me if i knew a way to cout how many different words in a file. I told him no not off hand, but i was thinking about it, and i started to wonder also. I imagine this is probably pretty simple im just missing something, I keep confusing my self with how you would compair and... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: yodadbl07
16 Replies

6. Hardware

question

How to add 3 moniters to a pc set up? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clicstic
2 Replies

7. AIX

df question

Hi, Can anyone please explain a little about df command. I have following question: Following example is showing % used as 4 where as total free blocks are 15.46 out of 16.00 MB blocks. df -m /test Filesystem MBblocks Free %Used Iused %Iused ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsabhi9
5 Replies
mpartition(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mpartition(1)

Name
       mpartition - partition an MSDOS hard disk

Note of warning
       This  manpage  has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation, and may not be entirely accurate or complete.  See the
       end of this man page for details.

Description
       The mpartition command is used to create MS-DOS filesystems as partitions.  This is intended to be used on non-Linux systems, i.e.  systems
       where fdisk and easy access to Scsi devices are not available.  This command only works on drives whose partition variable is set.

mpartition  -p drive mpartition -r drive mpartition -I [-B bootSector] drive mpartition -a drive mpartition -d drive mpartition -c [-s sec-
       tors] [-h heads] [-t cylinders] [-v [-T type] [-b begin] [-l length] [-f]

Mpartition supports the following operations:

p      Prints a command line to recreate the partition for the drive.  Nothing is printed if the partition for the drive is not defined, or
	      an inconsistency has been detected.  If verbose (-v) is also set, prints the current partition table.

r      Removes the partition described by drive.

I      Initializes the partition table, and removes all partitions.

c      Creates the partition described by drive.

a      "Activates" the partition, i.e. makes it bootable.  Only one partition can be bootable at a time.

d      "Desactivates" the partition, i.e. makes it unbootable.

If no operation is given, the current settings are printed.

For partition creations, the following options are available:

s sectors
	      The number of sectors per track of the partition (which is also the number of sectors per track for the whole drive).

h heads
	      The  number of heads of the partition (which is also the number of heads for the whole drive).  By default, the geometry information
	      (number of sectors and heads) is figured out from neighbouring partition table entries, or guessed from the size.

t cylinders
	      The number of cylinders of the partition (not the number of cylinders of the whole drive.

b begin
	      The starting offset of the partition, expressed in sectors. If begin is not given, mpartition lets the partition begin at the  start
	      of the disk (partition number 1), or immediately after the end of the previous partition.

l length
	      The  size  (length) of the partition, expressed in sectors.  If end is not given, mpartition figures out the size from the number of
	      sectors, heads and cylinders.  If these are not given either, it gives the partition the biggest	possible  size,  considering  disk
	      size and start of the next partition.

The following option is available for all operation which modify the partition table:

f      Usually,	before	writing  back  any  changes to the partition, mpartition performs certain consistenct checks, such as checking for
	      overlaps and proper alignment of the partitions.	If any of these checks fails, the partition table is not changes.  The	-f  allows
	      you to override these safeguards.

The following options are available for all operations:

v      Together with -p prints the partition table as it is now (no change operation), or as it is after it is modified.

vv     If the verbosity flag is given twice, mpartition will print out a hexdump of the partition table when reading it from and writing it
	      to the device.

The following option is available for partition table initialization:

B bootSector
	      Reads the template master boot record from file bootSector.

See Also
       Mtools' texinfo doc

Viewing the texi doc
       This manpage has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation. However, this process is only  approximative,  and  some
       items, such as crossreferences, footnotes and indices are lost in this translation process.  Indeed, these items have no appropriate repre-
       sentation in the manpage format.  Moreover, not all information has been translated into the manpage version.  Thus I strongly  advise  you
       to use the original texinfo doc.  See the end of this manpage for instructions how to view the texinfo doc.

*      To generate a printable copy from the texinfo doc, run the following commands:

./configure; make dvi; dvips mtools.dvi

*      To generate a html copy,	run:

./configure; make html

A premade html can be found at: `http://mtools.linux.lu' and also at: `http://www.tux.org/pub/knaff/mtools'

*      To generate an info copy (browsable using emacs' info mode), run:

./configure; make info

The  texinfo  doc looks most pretty when printed or as html.  Indeed, in the info version certain examples are difficult to read due to the
       quoting conventions used in info.

mtools-3.9.8							      02Jun01							     mpartition(1)